Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will AP still work if have the cabin camera covered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually see the release notes before updating and i saw that 2021.32.xx for my car now has the cabin camera turned on.

I also read that is very sensitive and doesn't get rid of the nag. I am pretty happy with my hands on wheel setup for my commute.

My camera right now is covered. Will AP still work without it? I don't want to update if it doesn't.

Reactions: impastu
I would seriously doubt if the FSD will work with the cabin camera covered. The point is to monitor the driver . The interior camera has to be a part,of the FSD driver monitoring system.

Many cars with Autopilot since 2014 do not have a cabin camera. Not until 2021 that all Tesla cars now have it.

My 2017 Model X doesn't have a cabin camera and the Autopilot works fine.

I'll test my Model 3 tomorrow and see what the result will be.

Many cars with Autopilot since 2014 do not have a cabin camera. Not until 2021 that all Tesla cars now have it.

My 2017 Model X doesn't have a cabin camera and the Autopilot works fine.

I'll test my Model 3 tomorrow and see what the result will be.
I have a 2020 model Y, did not realize that all tesla’s did not have the camera. So, thanks for enlightening me…

...My camera right now is covered. Will AP still work without it? I don't want to update if it doesn't...

Just tested for 12 miles on Autopilot with the cabin camera completely blocked off and cover on current version 2021.32.22 on 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR while I was taking the Safety Score driving test. It's no different than when the cabin camera was covered or not covered. Autopilot works fine with no error message.

That's very strange. Maybe the press/blog... that covered the active function of the cabin camera might have a special software version.

Last edited:
Reactions: dahaz22
I noticed that AP still requires you apply torque to the steering wheel which I'm taking to mean that the camera is currently an extra monitor for them.
I'll have to try driving on AP deliberately looking away, or pretending to use the phone for a while to see if its really doing anything.
Want to get the beta though, so maybe after next week for the extra testing ;)

Did some googling and based on some comments I took a leap of faith and installed it.

Happy to report that, AP still works as before with the camera covered. I noticed no difference in nag intervals in the regular commute.
Phew!

I have a radar car with just EAP. Before I was excited to see Tesla updates and couldn't wait to install new ones. Now I am way more reluctant; between these last round of updates breaking summon ( can't connect 2/3 of time ) AP slowwwwwwwly picking up speed when car in front of me moves out of the way or switch lanes.
I am also afraid the vision only restrictions will be passed to be radar car in the future and now the camera based monitoring.

Did some googling and based on some comments I took a leap of faith and installed it.

Happy to report that, AP still works as before with the camera covered. I noticed no difference in nag intervals in the regular commute.
Phew!

I have a radar car with just EAP. Before I was excited to see Tesla updates and couldn't wait to install new ones. Now I am way more reluctant; between these last round of updates breaking summon ( can't connect 2/3 of time ) AP slowwwwwwwly picking up speed when car in front of me moves out of the way or switch lanes.
I am also afraid the vision only restrictions will be passed to be radar car in the future and now the camera based monitoring.
They totally lost my faith with updates with the 'holiday update' in December whey they just pooped all over the UI and have still not done anything to fix it.

Phew!

Does your AP still work with camera covered with the latest update?

I usually see the release notes before updating and i saw that 2021.32.xx for my car now has the cabin camera turned on.

I also read that is very sensitive and doesn't get rid of the nag. I am pretty happy with my hands on wheel setup for my commute.

My camera right now is covered. Will AP still work without it? I don't want to update if it doesn't.
I think it’s safe to assume that even if its not required now it will be in the near future. it’s already required for FSD beta (on vehicles that have it) and it will probably trickle down to all AP functions over time. So get ready for it. Is there some reason you think its a bad idea?