TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will AP1 have text message reading?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ParagPA, Jan 4, 2020.

1. ParagPA

ParagPA New Member

Hello,

Sorry if this has been posted - I've searched for a bit, without getting a solid answer - and it may be that there just isn't one yet.

I've got a 2015 S85D, currently on version 2019.40.2.3 - which means I haven't gotten 2019.40.50.x, which seems to have the ability to read / respond to text messages.

Does anyone with an AP1 car have this capability? I'm really more for "yes I have it", or "I've got 2019.40.50.x, but no text messaging capability"... I definitely found a lot of speculation on whether or not it'll be available, and I'm trying to find concrete details if possible.

Thanks! And - this is my first post on this forum, so apologies if I'm breaking any unwritten rules.

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

You probably really mean MCU 1 as AP1 has little to do with it. Those of us with MCU 1 (AP1/AP2 and some AP2.5)) are waiting to see if we get 2019.40.50.x

As far as I can tell from TeslaFi, so far none have. Anyone have better data?

(And welcome to TMC!)

3. ParagPA

ParagPA New Member

Ah - yes.. MCU1, definitely. Thanks for correction! I don't see a way to edit headers / posts...

And I had no idea that there were any AP2 / 2.5 cars with MCU 1!

4. mbhforum

mbhforum Active Member

The thinking is, us MCU1 owners WILL get the text messaging feature given we have received in our app inboxes that it’s coming within the next few weeks. This could be an error, but I hope not...

5. Galve2000

Galve2000 Active Member

I just updated to 2020.4.1 4a4ad401858f with my MCU1 car and get the following error when i try to voice command the car to send text message to one of my contacts:

"Text messaging is supported on iOS 13/Android v9 (or above)"

I'm using an iPhone 11 Max running iOS 13.3

also... my in-car telephone app doesn't have a text message section like the release notes say it should.

i do hope we get text dictation in older cars.

6. AustinP

AustinP Active Member

RTFM ;)
    It’s well explained. You need to go in your phone in the Bluetooth section and then back in the Tesla’s Bluetooth settings.

• Like x 1
  7. AustinP

AustinP Active Member

Additionally, not sure one can send message in this first version.

Read for sure. Reply to message received while in the car also.
    But creating new one... some say it works, but I also was not able to do that.

8. f-stop

f-stop Active Member

MCU1/AP1 70D here, I received the update to 2020.4.1 a couple days ago. Yes this update added the text message reading & replying feature, it works with my iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13.3
    (I was on previously on 2019.40.2.3)

I can't see any way to send/originate a new text message from the car. Looking at the release notes, I only see it mention read & reply, so maybe creating a new one isn't (yet) supported in this version

partial release notes from the car for 2020.4.1 4a4ad401858f :

IMG_4942.JPG

9. Galve2000

Galve2000 Active Member

that sounds very confusing..

what i was trying to do is start a text message. unfortunately i did not receive any messages while driving post update so i could not test notifications or some sort of reply..

will try again later..

10. AustinP

AustinP Active Member

It is indeed confusing.

I am still not able to create new message from the car. Other owners (US, so english language) report they can. As my car is set in French, I concluded it is probably pending translation...

11. f-stop

f-stop Active Member

note there's absolutely NO mention of creating new messages in the English 2020.4.1 release notes I posted above. Only read & reply

so I don't think it's a language thing;
    unless it's a regional thing (e.g. US only) or they have a different version