Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Auto Lane Change even be included with Basic AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the only option I wish I could buy or have included with my car and Autopilot is "Auto Lane Change". I just don't think EAP is worth $6,000, and FSD is now $15,000...get out here!

Does anyone think ALC will ever be included with basic AP one day? I need some hope, I can't be the only one that hopes this will be true someday.

I just don't think EAP is worth $6,000, and FSD is now $15,000...get out here!
No, FSD is still $12k. It is supposed to go to $15k on 9/5. (EAP will like go to $7.5k at the same time, if they keep up the tradition of it being half the cost of FSD.)

And no I don't think auto lane change will be a standard feature of AP, at least not for a long time. (Though they surprised me with the addition of the green light chime for free.)

Reactions: Redman113
I think the only option I wish I could buy or have included with my car and Autopilot is "Auto Lane Change". I just don't think EAP is worth $6,000, and FSD is now $15,000...get out here!

Does anyone think ALC will ever be included with basic AP one day? I need some hope, I can't be the only one that hopes this will be true someday.
If you can change Tesla philosophy of finding ways to extract more profits like making new owners to pay for mobile connectors.

Alas, I don't even like most of the features of EAP. I am happy to command the lane changes with the turn signal. All auto lane change is saves you the trouble of doing that. Not worth $6K. The actual useful feature for some people is auto-park, for those who are not comfortable with parallel parking. But it has its issues too and you can usually do it faster if you are skilled. Many cars have auto-park and they don't charge nearly $6K for it if not hardware additions are needed. (It is hard to price as it usually comes only in a package with most cars.)

If you believe in FSD, just buy TSLA stock, you will make much more from that if they deliver, and you will be able to afford the higher price (if it is actually higher) of FSD after they deliver. Yes, it might be lower, if there is competition from another player pushing the price down.

Just buy FSD, trust me.

Alas, I don't even like most of the features of EAP. I am happy to command the lane changes with the turn signal. All auto lane change is saves you the trouble of doing that. Not worth $6K. The actual useful feature for some people is auto-park, for those who are not comfortable with parallel parking. But it has its issues too and you can usually do it faster if you are skilled. Many cars have auto-park and they don't charge nearly $6K for it if not hardware additions are needed. (It is hard to price as it usually comes only in a package with most cars.)

If you believe in FSD, just buy TSLA stock, you will make much more from that if they deliver, and you will be able to afford the higher price (if it is actually higher) of FSD after they deliver. Yes, it might be lower, if there is competition from another player pushing the price down.
Yeah, makes sense to me. Just blows my mind that one feature (Auto lane change) is not standard.

Reactions: Michael_79
No, auto lane change is more than that. It let's you command a lane change with the signal. Without it you essentially have to turn off AP, change lanes, and then re-engage AP.

Yes. This is the one feature that helps sell EAP or FSD.

Tell the car to change lanes and it does. It will wait if necessary until the situation allows it. It checks for other cars in the blind spot. If some behind you in the desired lane speeds up, the car moves back to the original lane.

It takes the stress (and the human risk) out of lane changes.

Reactions: Redman113

Yes. It’s included in AP1

No, auto lane change is more than that. It let's you command a lane change with the signal. Without it you essentially have to turn off AP, change lanes, and then re-engage AP.
Sorry, I was thinking of Nav on Autopilot, which does lane changes without me commanding it. I turn that off, I don't like it, nor do I like it handling highway to highway exchanges. Had to intervene on merges and don't like intervening at that speed in a tricky situation.

But yes, of the EAP/FSD features, the manually commanded auto lane change is useful, as can be auto-park. The rest don't appeal to me. As such the price of the package (even at $6K) is extreme. When I bought my car, you had to pay for AP (and you got EAP.)