Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Auto Lane Change even be included with Basic AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Now we are talking model Y and 3 using Basic AP. When changing lanes you can turn your indicator on which disables AP but keeps cruise on, make your lane change and then press down on control stock to reactivate AP.

To be more technically precise, if you have TACC and Autosteer on, activating the turn signal allows you to manually cross the dashed line without the car fighting you to maintain the lane. The act of manually turning the steering wheel that much disengages Autosteer. After you change lanes, one click down on the control arm re-engages Autosteer.

Autopilot is a collection of features that includes TACC and Autosteer.

Last edited:
To be more technically precise, if you have TACC and Autosteer on, activating the turn signal allows you to manually cross the dashed line without the car fighting you to maintain the lane. The act of manually turning the steering wheel that much disengages Autosteer. After you change lanes, one click down on the control arm re-engages Autosteer.

So after manually changing lanes and autosteer has disengaged, one click down re-engages autosteer and therefore resumes TACC? Or does TACC remain active while and after you make the lane change?

True, it has been updated so when the indicator is on AP fights much less before disengaging.

Tesla know full well that having to re-enable autopilot whenever you change lanes is annoying. They were hoping people would find it annoying enough to cough up for FSD using man math to justify it.
As FSD has climbed in price they introduced EAP just under what FSD used to cost, hoping that half baked party tricks like summon would be enough to make us justify paying for auto lane change.
It’s outright greed and I suspect it has backfired.
I seriously believe they would make more money at $2k (which is all it’s worth) as more than 3x as many people would buy it than at $6k. It’s a software switch that costs them nothing.
I understand charging a premium for FSD and the computing power and work that goes into improving it, and while it is not worth $15k in its current form, it will be worth a lot more than that when it works properly.
But EAP for $6k is a ripoff.

Tesla know full well that having to re-enable autopilot whenever you change lanes is annoying. They were hoping people would find it annoying enough to cough up for FSD using man math to justify it.
As FSD has climbed in price they introduced EAP just under what FSD used to cost, hoping that half baked party tricks like summon would be enough to make us justify paying for auto lane change.
It’s outright greed and I suspect it has backfired.
I seriously believe they would make more money at $2k (which is all it’s worth) as more than 3x as many people would buy it than at $6k. It’s a software switch that costs them nothing.
I understand charging a premium for FSD and the computing power and work that goes into improving it, and while it is not worth $15k in its current form, it will be worth a lot more than that when it works properly.
But EAP for $6k is a ripoff.
If FSD ever works, it might well be worth more than $15K. Then. So why not pay for it then? Why do people want to buy it now? It is hard to think of another product that has been sold this way. In the future, if we can deliver it, it will be really valuable. Pre-order it now for a very high price, and get a package of early features not nearly worth this price. Do it because we keep raising the very high price so if you buy it now you'll not have to pay the new high price if we actually deliver.

They don't talk about it but if (when) they finally decide they can't deliver, they will presumably have to give a refund. But with interest? It's very strange.

If you believe in FSD, buy TSLA. The gains in that if they pull off FSD will be far more than the additional price to buy FSD should it happen. Of course, if it doesn't, the TSLA may be lower in value, while the FSD should get you a refund-- so if you think FSD will fail, then... oh wait.

Nope. Now we are talking model Y and 3 using Basic AP. When changing lanes you can turn your indicator on which disables AP but keeps cruise on, make your lane change and then press down on control stock to reactivate AP.
True, but if you are in TACC mode and have to cancel it, there is no way I know of to resume it later at the previous set speed.

I think the only option I wish I could buy or have included with my car and Autopilot is "Auto Lane Change". I just don't think EAP is worth $6,000, and FSD is now $15,000...get out here!

Does anyone think ALC will ever be included with basic AP one day? I need some hope, I can't be the only one that hopes this will be true someday.
Here, Here! I recently Tweeted this:

Dear Elon, please bring back Auto-Lane Change to Standard Autopilot. Standard Autopilot cancels when changing lanes, making it hard to avoid getting dinged for Unsafe Following in Safety Score. Offer as an a la carte item? Free, Auto-Lane Change would make ALL Teslas even safer.

Maybe if more of us BEG, Tesla will relent and do something benevolent!

Reactions: AZTech