Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Autopilot take evasive action if a car next to me swerves into my lane?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this also has been beat to death but my search of the term "autopilot collision avoidance" didn't turn up an answer that I could find.

I've been cruising along the freeway being amazed the last two days at autopilot - but started to worry not about autopilot - but about other stupid human drivers.

So, with the current release of Autopilot -if I am cruising next to a car which swerves into me (not cutting me off - but physically side by side before it swerves to hit me) - will Autopilot also swerve into the next lane over (if it detects that there is space) to avoid being hit? Or will it not do anything?

The Model X Press Kit mentions side collision avoidance and Elon showed a pic of it in the debut so I imagine the S has the same thing:

"Active Safety

Model X comes standard with automatic emergency braking and side collision avoidance to prevent accidents from happening in the first place. Tesla makes the only standard AEB system that works at high speed."

Well here's an activity for three Tesla geeks for a weekend afternoon on a deserted stretch of freeway - two side-by-side communicating by voice - one behind with a video camera - have Tesla one execute a swerve toward Tesla two (which the driver of Tesla two is prepared for) and see if Tesla two does anything on its own to avoid getting hit.

My wife and I were nearly sideswiped the other day- We were in her Autopilot equipped car, not my classic one. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the car indeed moved left a foot or so before I turned the wheel. If there was a graphic or audible warning neither of us noticed it, We both were screaming "what the h.. was that person doing" This happened at about 25-30MPH after I had dropped into a left hand turn lane and was slowly passing a line of cars as we approached an intersection. One of the cars that was almost exactly beside us suddenly turned towards us. We were not driving with Autosteer engaged.

Sorry if this also has been beat to death but my search of the term "autopilot collision avoidance" didn't turn up an answer that I could find.

I've been cruising along the freeway being amazed the last two days at autopilot - but started to worry not about autopilot - but about other stupid human drivers.

So, with the current release of Autopilot -if I am cruising next to a car which swerves into me (not cutting me off - but physically side by side before it swerves to hit me) - will Autopilot also swerve into the next lane over (if it detects that there is space) to avoid being hit? Or will it not do anything?

It will sound a warning and move away to the other side of the lane, but not leave the lane. If the sonar detects an obstacle on that side and both are close it will balance the two distances without leaving the lane and with a warning sound.