Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will AWD be available in 2018?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there, Southern CA, non-owner, online-during unveiling reservation holder here. I was invited to configure a month ago but am waiting for AWD because our family really enjoys the snow 3-4 months a year (Big Bear and Mammoth). Tax credit consideration aside (although it appears July 1st and therefore $7500 through 2018 is in play), is it likely I will be able to order and receive an AWD Model 3 this year in light of Elon’s recent comment that AWD will follow Performance ?
Thanks in advance.

Hey there, Southern CA, non-owner, online-during unveiling reservation holder here. I was invited to configure a month ago but am waiting for AWD because our family really enjoys the snow 3-4 months a year (Big Bear and Mammoth). Tax credit consideration aside (although it appears July 1st and therefore $7500 through 2018 is in play), is it likely I will be able to order and receive an AWD Model 3 this year in light of Elon’s recent comment that AWD will follow Performance ?
Thanks in advance.

AWD builds are being configured right now. They're probably still going down the list of early reserving owners, though.

I configured mine last Wednesday (5/23) with a line-waiting owner priority. They ESTIMATE delivery in 12-16 weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: D3xDt3Reaction
Ok. So if you as an owner will not likely receive your AWD until Oct, then I as a non-owner RWD invitee am not likely to receive mine this year at all. Thanks ilg. I guess I’ll go ahead and configure a RWD now and plan to use chains in the mountains. Thanks again.

No one knows how they're going to ramp AWD (and P). It could ramp very quickly and they could be making 5000 AWD cars a week to meet the demand backlog of people who have deferred. That would make sense if the plan is to maximize 3rd quarter profit.
It seems entirely possible that everyone who has received an invite could get an AWD 3 delivered this year.
I'm holding out for AWD for exactly the same reason, chains suck!

Ok. So if you as an owner will not likely receive your AWD until Oct, then I as a non-owner RWD invitee am not likely to receive mine this year at all. Thanks ilg. I guess I’ll go ahead and configure a RWD now and plan to use chains in the mountains. Thanks again.

FWIW, non-owners are being invited to configure AWD as well. (I am a non-owner who also configured AWD on 5/23.) AWD configurations appear to be opening up to early U.S. reservation-holders based on UTC reservation timestamp, meaning time zones aren't being taken into account. That's why most (if not all) of the people who have been able to configure AWD so far reserved in a time zone east of California. However, it doesn't necessarily mean deliveries will be prioritized east-to-west as well, despite Tesla giving everyone who configures AWD or Performance the same 12-16 week delivery estimate.

My suspicion (speculation) is that everyone who has already been able to order RWD so far will have been invited to configured AWD by the time AWD production actually begins in July. Regardless, though, the precise production ramp for AWD, how deliveries will be prioritized, and the tax credit phaseout situation are largely unknown right now, though we do know (per Elon) that Performance AWD will be produced first, followed by standard AWD. On the tax credit, there are many signs (but no definitive proof) that Tesla is trying to delay delivery #200,000 to July, thereby ensuring the full tax credit through December 31st rather than September 30th. An AWD order placed now should theoretically receive the full credit *if* Tesla's 12-16 week delivery estimate holds true, but that is a pretty big *if* IMHO.

At the end of the day, I'd just make the decision you're most comfortable with. If you can tolerate all of the uncertainty in play with respect to AWD, go for it. (That's what I'm doing, despite a lease that expires at the end of September.) Otherwise, RWD is probably the better fit... and I imagine you'll enjoy it just as much!

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
FWIW, non-owners are being invited to configure AWD as well. (I am a non-owner who also configured AWD on 5/23.) AWD configurations appear to be opening up to early U.S. reservation-holders based on UTC reservation timestamp, meaning time zones aren't being taken into account. That's why most (if not all) of the people who have been able to configure AWD so far reserved in a time zone east of California. However, it doesn't necessarily mean deliveries will be prioritized east-to-west as well, despite Tesla giving everyone who configures AWD or Performance the same 12-16 week delivery estimate.

I did notice in one of the screenshots that someone who ordered AWD posted, it said that priority was still given to Tesla owners. So it is quite possible ordering is opened based on time on 3/31/16 and delivery will still go to owners first.

I am a non-owner with an East coast reservation made just before the reveal - AWD option is still locked out for me.
I will wait for AWD even if that pushes me to 2019. I have two leases up in July 2019 so I need delivery by then.
I think we will get it by end of year if they reach their 6,000 per week target volume - even if they prioritize the performance builds.

I know the profit is higher on the P but they also have more changes from the current model to the P model whereas I just want the second motor. I will take the LR battery and the premium upgrades. I can't help but think they will be making that variation if there is any bottleneck in the P parts.

I am a non-owner with an East coast reservation made just before the reveal - AWD option is still locked out for me.
I will wait for AWD even if that pushes me to 2019. I have two leases up in July 2019 so I need delivery by then.
I think we will get it by end of year if they reach their 6,000 per week target volume - even if they prioritize the performance builds.

I know the profit is higher on the P but they also have more changes from the current model to the P model whereas I just want the second motor. I will take the LR battery and the premium upgrades. I can't help but think they will be making that variation if there is any bottleneck in the P parts.

Got my email this morning and placed the order today.
Expected delivery September - November.

Your Model 3 build details
  • Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
  • Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels
  • Premium Interior
  • Premium Black
  • Enhanced Autopilot
  • Full Self-Driving Capability