Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will AWD be bundled with Smart Air Suspension(SAS)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If all you're looking for is a smoother/softer ride and can tolerate some float, then you'll probably think the air suspension in the S is great.
I don't need SAS for the suspension, I need it to get up my driveway without scraping. I can't change the driveway because it is built to city standards and they will not allow modifications.

I hope that the dual motor option is separate from the air suspension.
Me too, because I will get SAS without AWD, which I don't need.

So why didnt Tesla provide the offset shock assy for all models, simplifying production?
My guess is cost/volume. The existing assembly is probably off the shelf from some manufacturer, and I'm guessing the offset assembly isn't, which would mean Tesla has to find a supplier for it, and that's harder to do while they're still ramping production.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
So why didnt Tesla provide the offset shock assy for all models, simplifying production?

My guess is cost/volume. The existing assembly is probably off the shelf from some manufacturer, and I'm guessing the offset assembly isn't, which would mean Tesla has to find a supplier for it, and that's harder to do while they're still ramping production.

Simplicity and cost for first production? Or IF SAS is required with AWD then no need for an offset standard front suspension. Personally I would prefer AWD with a standard shock/spring suspension and hope SAS is a stand-alone option option or bundled only with towing and not AWD.

Simplicity and cost for first production? Or IF SAS is required with AWD then no need for an offset standard front suspension. Personally I would prefer AWD with a standard shock/spring suspension and hope SAS is a stand-alone option option or bundled only with towing and not AWD.

I would also be disappointed if everyone who wanted AWD is forced to get SAS. It's a feature I don't get much value out of that adds considerable cost.

When SAS on the Model S wasn't standard, they were charging $2,500 for it. Originally Elon said that AWD for the Model 3 would cost "less" than the AWD option cost on the Model S ($5,000 at the time). But bundling the two together would give Tesla an excuse to charge more, maybe $6.5k - $7.5k for the bundle. And then there's the other cost of SAS, which is the potential for expensive out-of-warranty repairs ( >$2k) down the road when SAS fails.

So for someone who doesn't want SAS but wants AWD, the scenarios could play out like this:

If SAS is required for AWD: Total cost of AWD = ~$7k AWD/SAS bundle cost + ~$2k out-of-warranty-repairs = $9k
If AWD is available without SAS: Total cost of AWD = $4k - $5k