Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will AWD cost extra ? If so how much do you expect it to be ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Extra than what? It was supposed to cost less than what it cost on a Model S back when it was an option there. But no one knows how it will end up. And then there’s the whole is AWD in a package with air suspension or is that even an option at all on the 3. Lots of possibilities.

Extra than what? It was supposed to cost less than what it cost on a Model S back when it was an option there. But no one knows how it will end up. And then there’s the whole is AWD in a package with air suspension or is that even an option at all on the 3. Lots of possibilities.

Elon said specifically it would be under $5k. Elon Musk on Twitter
He also said air suspension is tied to AWD, but he didn't say if it would come with or if it would be extra. Elon Musk on Twitter

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Elon said specifically it would be under $5k. Elon Musk on Twitter
He also said air suspension is tied to AWD, but he didn't say if it would come with or if it would be extra. Elon Musk on Twitter
Yes, we know. We’ve also been promised Dashcams and FSD features, etc. that haven’t materialized. :D

For the sake of budgeting, I’d have $5K for AWD if you are holding out for it. And I doubt they will throw in Air Suspension for free. Based on the way the X and S have gone, they minimize the number of options so it may be AWD always with air suspension and then make it $5K (or more?) for both as a package.

Really doubt they will go back to separate options when job 1 is uncomplicating production! They won’t even add a seat color yet and that’s not even an option, it’s install that seat or this one.

To reduce complexity my guess is that they will add it to the mandatory upgrade package, increase the price by $2K-$3K, making all cars AWD, like the S/X line. When they get around to making the base model they will just make it a standard feature.

IMO, the chances of having AWD without air suspension are quite low. The reason is that AWD will require a suspension redesign (can't drive the front wheels in a RWD car because the front suspension is in the way). So they will need new front suspension (at least) for AWD. And it would be silly to design two more suspensions: A traditional spring AND air.

I just can't see that happening. So I have to assume that all AWD cars will have air suspension, because we KNOW that will be available.

To reduce complexity my guess is that they will add it to the mandatory upgrade package, increase the price by $2K-$3K, making all cars AWD, like the S/X line. When they get around to making the base model they will just make it a standard feature.

I don't think they will make all Model 3s AWD. It is supposed to be the mass market version and adding it will push it above the $35k figure that has been thrown around so often.

We have to remember that Model S/X are considered the premium models.

IMO, the chances of having AWD without air suspension are quite low.

I'm glad I didn't opt to wait for AWD as I'm worried about the durability of the air suspension. I'm planning to keep the car for over 10 years and the air suspension will likely be the first to go (with a very expensive fix).

I don't think they will make all Model 3s AWD. It is supposed to be the mass market version and adding it will push it above the $35k figure that has been thrown around so often.

We have to remember that Model S/X are considered the premium models.

I'm glad I didn't opt to wait for AWD as I'm worried about the durability of the air suspension. I'm planning to keep the car for over 10 years and the air suspension will likely be the first to go (with a very expensive fix).
My 2008 Cayenne Turbo is still on the original air suspension and still works great for perspective