Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will AWD cost extra ? If so how much do you expect it to be ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO, the chances of having AWD without air suspension are quite low. The reason is that AWD will require a suspension redesign (can't drive the front wheels in a RWD car because the front suspension is in the way). So they will need new front suspension (at least) for AWD. And it would be silly to design two more suspensions: A traditional spring AND air.

I just can't see that happening. So I have to assume that all AWD cars will have air suspension, because we KNOW that will be available.

Might take less redesign than some folks think...

First Tesla Model 3 dual motor all-wheel-drive spotted in the wild

"the cross-section where the front motor sits is already in place on the rear-wheel drive Model 3 and therefore, there’s no need to modify the front and reduce the frunk space to fit the motor"

The model S had an air suspension option... how much was the air suspension to add on?

My guess is that they will keep their word with AWD being less than 5k, but then they will add another 3k or whatever for air suspension that will have to be included in the package.

IMO, the chances of having AWD without air suspension are quite low. The reason is that AWD will require a suspension redesign (can't drive the front wheels in a RWD car because the front suspension is in the way). So they will need new front suspension (at least) for AWD. And it would be silly to design two more suspensions: A traditional spring AND air.

I just can't see that happening. So I have to assume that all AWD cars will have air suspension, because we KNOW that will be available.
In his initial overview of Model 3, Sandy Munro of Munro and Associates noted the chassis on the rear drive model is designed to accommodate the front motor.

In his initial overview of Model 3, Sandy Munro of Munro and Associates noted the chassis on the rear drive model is designed to accommodate the front motor.

It is designed to accommodate the motor. However the current front shocks block the CV shaft locations on both sides. This necessitates a redesign with an offset to allow for the CV shafts. The offset compromises the available straight line length for a conventional shock. An air shock makes sense. My guess is mandatory with Dual motor and a $6k minimum for both. If tow capability is ever going to be added it would probably be then.

This picture of a Dual motor installation on a 3 taken at a track day recently clearly shows an air shock You can see the shorter air shock above and the lower offset extension to clear the CV shaft:

C0142AE4-DA86-485A-B4E9-B62DA6DD2BDB.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
If they were going to sell AWD with coils, I'm wondering why they designed a coil suspension that couldn't be used with AWD. That would imply that they designed two front coil suspension setups. Why not just use the AWD coils for the RWD car? Is the setup that they are using for the RWD cars now enough cheaper to justify the cost of designing and maintaining two separate systems?

Reactions: Thomas Edison
If they were going to sell AWD with coils, I'm wondering why they designed a coil suspension that couldn't be used with AWD. That would imply that they designed two front coil suspension setups. Why not just use the AWD coils for the RWD car? Is the setup that they are using for the RWD cars now enough cheaper to justify the cost of designing and maintaining two separate systems?
Yeah. That was pretty much what I was trying to spell out. It would be foolish to create THREE suspension systems for this car. They've already done one, and will NEED to do another for AWD. There's no reason to design/stock/install/test two more for AWD.

Logic would dictate that the AWD will only come with air suspension (and RWD will only come with spring suspension since it already exists, it works, and it is cheaper).

Just the two questions now:

WHEN?
and
What will be the total cost of the upgrade to AWD/Air?

We don't know. But I'm comfortable with no longer fretting over the AWD/Air being keyed together as Musk as always said.