Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will California and West see Storm Watch in the next few days (2022-12-29)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
I was wondering if people thought we would see Storm Watch turned on here in California and the West over the next few days. We are getting pounded with storm after storm and I am already seeing power and country crews out and about inspecting line and rising creeks. I live on a hill and have a creek running 2 feet from my back fence. It is also 10+ feet above our house, so it goes over it is coming into the yard!

This is a picture I saw of the atmospheric river heading from Asia to the US.

Atmospheric-river.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
There was flood warning in my area for last week's storm but it didn't trigger one. Guessing it would have to be more severe warning for it to trigger. Just manually toggled grid charging since there won't be much generation this week.

Hi J, long time no see.
I have been watching this closely as well since I still have a house not far from you. Even up here at 5,000 feet we watch for a different reason...... SNOW. I guess we all welcome the water out here, but not when it comes as a biblical flood. :eek: It seems like it will be interesting up until Sunday at least.

Reactions: jboy210
I have no idea on storm watch, it pretty much depends on the NWS. I have my reserve set high during the winter anyway, for a few different reasons. If I was concerned about stormwatch activating or not, I would bump my reserve up. If I didnt expect to generate enough PV to charge my battery and run the house, I would grid charge right now during off peak to my reserve (that was set higher, as mentioned).

If you have grid charging enabled in the app, there isnt any reason to worry about whether stormwatch activates or not.

I have no idea on storm watch, it pretty much depends on the NWS. I have my reserve set high during the winter anyway, for a few different reasons. If I was concerned about stormwatch activating or not, I would bump my reserve up. If I didnt expect to generate enough PV to charge my battery and run the house, I would grid charge right now during off peak to my reserve (that was set higher, as mentioned).

If you have grid charging enabled in the app, there isnt any reason to worry about whether stormwatch activates or not.
We are on Time Based control and it has been holding the PWs at 100% since November. So, my concern is more academic as to the conditions that trigger Storm Watch, versus a concern about running out of power.

Reactions: Electrph
Even here in SoCal, everyday for the next couple of weeks has at least a slight chance of rain, with 100% chance of heavy rain New Years Eve.

Interestingly, I live right on the border between two different NWS locations, Oxnard/LA and San Diego. My city is on the eastern edge of LA County with one portion in San Bernardino County. These are the forecasts for two different locations in the same city just block apart and less than 1/10 of a mile. One is in LA Country handled by LA NWS and the other is in San Bernardino County, handled by San Diego NWS. Even though similar, they each have some days where there is a chance of rain while the other station doesn't mention a chance.

In the past one NWS station would issue a warning and the other wouldn't, particularly high wind or red flag warning. If my house was one block to the east in San Bernardino county instead of LA County, I would be under a warning in those past situations. But when it comes to flood warnings, LA NWS tends to issue those more often than SD NWS.

Same thing with Winter Storm Warnings in the local mountains. The mountains in San Bernardino or Riverside County under San Diego NWS would get winter warnings sooner or more often than the mountains in LA County under Los Angeles NWS, even though the mountains in LA county may even get more snow.

So it does depend on the NWS and their standards for issuing warnings.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 2.06.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 2.06.18 PM.png
    325.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 2.06.51 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 2.06.51 PM.png
    312 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Flash flood watch and high wind warning now in effect for my area. No storm watch triggered yet. If it becomes a flash flood warning, it may trigger it. Don't know why the wind warning hasn't triggered storm watch though. It is supposed to

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 2.17.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 2.17.40 PM.png
    355.4 KB · Views: 31
Flash flood watch and high wind warning now in effect for my area. No storm watch triggered yet. If it becomes a flash flood warning, it may trigger it. Don't know why the wind warning hasn't triggered storm watch though. It is supposed to
I see why it hasn't turned on Storm Watch yet. The wind warning doesn't begin until tomorrow

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 2.21.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 2.21.49 PM.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 45