Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will car speed up when not on autopilot to avoid being rear ended?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an experience of sudden surprise acceleration that may have been EAP/accident prevention.

Driving with EAP on a moderately busy interstate in center lane at c.70 mph, a white convertible car in the left lane suddenly cut me off trying to make the exit. My car slammed on the brakes to about 40 mph, the other car made it across my lane, and made the exit. My car then hard accelerated back to 70 mph. I emphasize hard, as I was in Chill mode, and was faster than normally available acceleration. I think I would have reacted and avoided the accident, but I may be overestimating my response time. I could not have swerved left, as there was a panel truck in the left lane.

I'm not sure if there was a car right behind me, and have no idea if it reacted or not to the very sudden braking. I assume there was a car fairly close (it was pretty busy highway) and the system correctly hard accelerated after preventing the accident.