TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Will carbon fiber or other wraps cover nose cone blemishes?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Mankirk, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Mankirk

Mankirk Supporting Member

If your nose cone has some scrapes and minor dings from rock damage, will the carbon fiber wrap - or another wrap material - cover those or do they adhere so closely to the surface they show all the imperfections that exist?

2. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Carbon fiber, or other wraps with some texture will be less noticible than smooth, shiney wraps.

You can use a little touch up paint before applying the wrap (let them completely dry of course) for tiny divots or scratches.

Every application will differ it it's success, depending on how fussy you are about it being "perfect"

3. Acho

Acho Member

Wrap materials are very thin - 3-3.5 mils. They show surface imperfections.

As previous poster noted carbon fiber or other rextured material will show less of it since it is on the ticker side and the texture itself "hides" problems underneath at some extend.

What I suggest you is to ask for sample of the material and apply i to the worst scratch so you can see in real world how much it hides it. Any wrap shop will give you small peace of scrap material for free. If they don't stay away from them.

If you PM me I will send you some scrap to test it before you decide so no surprises after the wrap

4. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

If you're going to wrap it anyway, why not fill and sand it first so the surface is smooth before wrapping?

5. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

This.

• Love x 1
  6. Mankirk

Mankirk Supporting Member

Thanks for the ideas.

I know my question may sound silly, but i am new to the world of Tesla and had to scrape everything I could together to get the 2014 CPO unit I have coming, so I'm trying to limit the initial "accessorizing" I do, but there seem to be a lot of issues/concerns a new owner needs to understand when getting into this.

I am totally unfamiliar with auto wraps and unsure what can and can't be done regarding them and the nose cone, in particular. I am trying to decide whether to put a clear bra on the front end (another $1,000 or so - yikes!) or get a second nose cone for daily use to take the abuse of road debris. I was thinking of purchasing a parted-out nose cone off of eBay (I see them there in the $110-$150 range) and covering one as opposed to buying one of the carbon-fiber wrapped ones available at several Tesla accessories places for $399 including the second nose cone.

7. Romand

Romand Member

is it possible you can send me some scrap as well i got a crack on my front bumper and want to see how it would look?

8. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I was going to suggest just that. You can also buy a piece of vinyl wrap and wrap it yourself. If you go that route I suggest that you get the 3M brand of vinyl and watch a few youtube videos on the application. On a part as small as the nose cone, applying the wrap is quite easy.

9. Acho

Acho Member

PM me your address

10. Acho

Acho Member

Avery might be better choice - I worked with both 3M and Avery and like Avery better /easyer to work, softer.../

11. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Either one will be fine, I really meant to stay away from cheap, no name materials.

12. Acho

Acho Member

This x1000000

There are 3 major brands - 3M, Avery, Oracal. There is also Vivvid but I don't think they are as good as the 3 mentioned above. Anything else is disaster and you will hate yourself if you go with no name vinyl.

Material needed for the nose cone will cost you about $30 plus tax plus shipping. If you cant find it for that price PM me, I will send it to you for what it cost me /wholesale price/ but don't go with cheap ebay stuff

• Like x 1
  13. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Local Vendor - Southeast

Physical defects will show under films. PPF and vinyl put their best foots forward on smooth surfaces. In some cases, placing film over defects can make them even more apparent.

• Like x 1