Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will carbon fiber or other wraps cover nose cone blemishes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mankirk

Supporting Member
Jun 19, 2017
Maryland
If your nose cone has some scrapes and minor dings from rock damage, will the carbon fiber wrap - or another wrap material - cover those or do they adhere so closely to the surface they show all the imperfections that exist?

Carbon fiber, or other wraps with some texture will be less noticible than smooth, shiney wraps.

You can use a little touch up paint before applying the wrap (let them completely dry of course) for tiny divots or scratches.

Every application will differ it it's success, depending on how fussy you are about it being "perfect"

Wrap materials are very thin - 3-3.5 mils. They show surface imperfections.

As previous poster noted carbon fiber or other rextured material will show less of it since it is on the ticker side and the texture itself "hides" problems underneath at some extend.

What I suggest you is to ask for sample of the material and apply i to the worst scratch so you can see in real world how much it hides it. Any wrap shop will give you small peace of scrap material for free. If they don't stay away from them.

If you PM me I will send you some scrap to test it before you decide so no surprises after the wrap

Thanks for the ideas.

I know my question may sound silly, but i am new to the world of Tesla and had to scrape everything I could together to get the 2014 CPO unit I have coming, so I'm trying to limit the initial "accessorizing" I do, but there seem to be a lot of issues/concerns a new owner needs to understand when getting into this.

I am totally unfamiliar with auto wraps and unsure what can and can't be done regarding them and the nose cone, in particular. I am trying to decide whether to put a clear bra on the front end (another $1,000 or so - yikes!) or get a second nose cone for daily use to take the abuse of road debris. I was thinking of purchasing a parted-out nose cone off of eBay (I see them there in the $110-$150 range) and covering one as opposed to buying one of the carbon-fiber wrapped ones available at several Tesla accessories places for $399 including the second nose cone.

Wrap materials are very thin - 3-3.5 mils. They show surface imperfections.

As previous poster noted carbon fiber or other rextured material will show less of it since it is on the ticker side and the texture itself "hides" problems underneath at some extend.

What I suggest you is to ask for sample of the material and apply i to the worst scratch so you can see in real world how much it hides it. Any wrap shop will give you small peace of scrap material for free. If they don't stay away from them.

If you PM me I will send you some scrap to test it before you decide so no surprises after the wrap
is it possible you can send me some scrap as well i got a crack on my front bumper and want to see how it would look?

Thanks for the ideas.

I know my question may sound silly, but i am new to the world of Tesla and had to scrape everything I could together to get the 2014 CPO unit I have coming, so I'm trying to limit the initial "accessorizing" I do, but there seem to be a lot of issues/concerns a new owner needs to understand when getting into this.

I am totally unfamiliar with auto wraps and unsure what can and can't be done regarding them and the nose cone, in particular. I am trying to decide whether to put a clear bra on the front end (another $1,000 or so - yikes!) or get a second nose cone for daily use to take the abuse of road debris. I was thinking of purchasing a parted-out nose cone off of eBay (I see them there in the $110-$150 range) and covering one as opposed to buying one of the carbon-fiber wrapped ones available at several Tesla accessories places for $399 including the second nose cone.
I was going to suggest just that. You can also buy a piece of vinyl wrap and wrap it yourself. If you go that route I suggest that you get the 3M brand of vinyl and watch a few youtube videos on the application. On a part as small as the nose cone, applying the wrap is quite easy.

I was going to suggest just that. You can also buy a piece of vinyl wrap and wrap it yourself. If you go that route I suggest that you get the 3M brand of vinyl and watch a few youtube videos on the application. On a part as small as the nose cone, applying the wrap is quite easy.

Avery might be better choice - I worked with both 3M and Avery and like Avery better /easyer to work, softer.../

Either one will be fine, I really meant to stay away from cheap, no name materials.

This x1000000

There are 3 major brands - 3M, Avery, Oracal. There is also Vivvid but I don't think they are as good as the 3 mentioned above. Anything else is disaster and you will hate yourself if you go with no name vinyl.

Material needed for the nose cone will cost you about $30 plus tax plus shipping. If you cant find it for that price PM me, I will send it to you for what it cost me /wholesale price/ but don't go with cheap ebay stuff

Reactions: jelloslug
Better yet, how much material is needed to wrap the nosecone?
13"x46" should be enough. If you never did it before add couple of inches just to be safe /easyer to chase tension and wrinkles out if they appear but try to avoid them/

Rule of thumb - add 2-3 inches on each side as "bleed" when wrapping panel /make sure to add them to the measurment of the biggest part of the pannel. For example the hood - measure from the rear corner /windshield side/ straight down to the point where the hood meets the nose cone and the width between the rwo rear corners of the hood /windshield side/. Then add 4 - 6 inches.

Reactions: Ketchups
Thanks! I figured someone might know offhand.

Ordering 48"x60", should be more than enough to wrap the nosecone/diffuser/door handles/sidemarkers.
Should be plenty even if you have to redo it.

Just make sure that you clean the surfaces very good. First use mild solvent cleaner /I use 3M S70 but it is expensive and sold by gallon/ then clean very good with 70% isopropyl/rubbing alcohol /do not use denaturated alcohol!!!/. Do not use windex or other amonia based products.

When you clean make sure that you clean very good in hard to reach places.

After cleaning give it some time to make sure all the liquid is evaporated, you may use compressed air to speed it up.

Take your time, do not overstretch /can stretch up to 20% before you put it at risk/. Extra careful when trimming!!!!

Good luck!

If you have questions I will try to answer them

P.S. If you are going to use carbon fiber keep in mind that stretching the vinyl will distort the pattern.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Parker and Ketchups