Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will come a LR RWD comeback?

lodyman

Oct 21, 2019
Germany
Hello,

do you think the Model 3 LR RWD will have a comeback?

This version would be perfect for me. I dont need the Dual Motor I rather would like to have a little more range.

Have a nice day

Lody

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA
I love mine, but I'm not sure if it will appear again in the near future. As long as production is constrained, there isn't going to be much desire.
It's still yet to be seen what they do with the Model Y. While I've got the LR on order, will that translate into an available model. Originally it was the easiest car to build, as they were finishing the Dual, but now that they have it, who knows.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I feel like @GigaGrunt is trying to tell us something, but is he capable of speaking in complete sentences that anyone can follow?

Based on his user name, and previous things he has posted, its not surprising he would be cryptic. Its either that ,or say nothing at all, which if he gets badgered too much, is what will happen.

Reactions: outdoors

OCR1

Jan 28, 2018
Southern California
Well, it’s an anonymous forum, so nobody will know who his identity is anyway. And if you are going to reveal something you should not be saying, it doesn’t really matter if you say it in one word or use a complete sentence. And yes, I was able to deduce what he was trying to tell us with his single word responses. I just think it’s ridiculous to speak that way, but maybe that’s why he refers to himself as a grunt.

OCR1

Jan 28, 2018
Southern California
The LR RWD was discontinued once last year and then brought back after a few months. It has always been a popular model. The general thought process from forum members is that it was discontinued due to a constraint on battery production. If they are going to populate a car with the full LR battery pack they want to make the extra margin on the AWD and Performance cars, while still offering a lower cost option in the SR/SR+ trim level. So once battery capacity becomes more available it would make sense to see Tesla bring it back.

Asking a sales rep or even their supervisor is pointless. Tesla does not disclose future product announcements to the sales team. Someone working at the Reno factory, as we have above here, is more likely to have inside information on possible future product announcements.

I would anticipate seeing the LR RWD model coming back once lead times on Model 3’s come back down to around 2 weeks. That is just my best guess, not based on any inside information, just past history.

GigaGrunt

Oct 1, 2018
Nevada
The LR RWD was discontinued once last year and then brought back after a few months. It has always been a popular model. The general thought process from forum members is that it was discontinued due to a constraint on battery production. If they are going to populate a car with the full LR battery pack they want to make the extra margin on the AWD and Performance cars, while still offering a lower cost option in the SR/SR+ trim level. So once battery capacity becomes more available it would make sense to see Tesla bring it back.

Asking a sales rep or even their supervisor is pointless. Tesla does not disclose future product announcements to the sales team. Someone working at the Reno factory, as we have above here, is more likely to have inside information on possible future product announcements.

I would anticipate seeing the LR RWD model coming back once lead times on Model 3’s come back down to around 2 weeks. That is just my best guess, not based on any inside information, just past history.

Not a constraint on battery production, but a lever used to temporarily ease capacity constraints of DU production.

Jeff Davlt

Dec 26, 2019
Seattle

So you’re saying there’s a chance.

GigaGrunt

Oct 1, 2018
Nevada
So drive units are more constrained than batteries?

Do you have any insight as to whether Tesla will produce any more Stealth Model 3’s?

No. To maximize usage, sales, margin, etc. you would want to sell as many vehicle combos as possible. If FDU was limited but you had available capacity in RDU then, utilize it.

Typically these type of production lines would be universal in the sense that they could run either unit that you needed with a simple changeover. But if you have upcoming demand for something that could get you more margin, then you want to shift more capacity to the higher margin item. So you would sell a variant that allows you to still move units, but net higher overall output of total units.

outdoors

Always roaming
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2014
in the moment
No. To maximize usage, sales, margin, etc. you would want to sell as many vehicle combos as possible. If FDU was limited but you had available capacity in RDU then, utilize it.

Variable demand lever. If pack is there. Match with car. Keep numbers people happy. This type of car (RWD) tends to get snatched up as we know. So a couple extra % of them is good for volume.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC