Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will come a LR RWD comeback?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. To maximize usage, sales, margin, etc. you would want to sell as many vehicle combos as possible. If FDU was limited but you had available capacity in RDU then, utilize it.

Typically these type of production lines would be universal in the sense that they could run either unit that you needed with a simple changeover. But if you have upcoming demand for something that could get you more margin, then you want to shift more capacity to the higher margin item. So you would sell a variant that allows you to still move units, but net higher overall output of total units.

I read this as:

Y is launching with dual-motor/P configs that cost the most. So every DU that can put in a more-expensive Y (and still manage to sell a LR RWD 3 too) the better.

Though I'm a little surprised to hear Tesla has enough spare battery capacity to make BOTH of those cars that front DU is a constraint- last I knew batteries were the primary supply constraint on making "enough" cars to fill all orders.

No. To maximize usage, sales, margin, etc. you would want to sell as many vehicle combos as possible. If FDU was limited but you had available capacity in RDU then, utilize it.

Typically these type of production lines would be universal in the sense that they could run either unit that you needed with a simple changeover. But if you have upcoming demand for something that could get you more margin, then you want to shift more capacity to the higher margin item. So you would sell a variant that allows you to still move units, but net higher overall output of total units.

Seems like the rated range of this vehicle will exceed 350 rated miles or so? If the 250 rated miles of the SR+ and the substantially better economy it gets now (8% better than 2019) is anything to go by, anyway...

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Seems like the rated range of this vehicle will exceed 350 rated miles or so? If the 250 rated miles of the SR+ and the substantially better economy it gets now (8% better than 2019) is anything to go by, anyway...
The fueleconomy.gov site currently lists a 2020 LR RWD at 330 miles.
Compare Side-by-Side
2020 3 LR RWD.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Zoomit
The fueleconomy.gov site currently lists a 2020 LR RWD at 330 miles.
Compare Side-by-Side
View attachment 504888

Yeah, but those are exactly the same efficiency numbers as in 2018 (range is 310 (voluntary reduction) rather than 330 but nothing else has changed). Based on the SR+ efficiency improvement of ~4% (I had the % wrong earlier), you'd expect about 4% improvement over those numbers. They haven't retested the vehicle.

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 2.41.03 PM.png

Last edited:
They're just carrying info over from one year to next. 325 will be the number. Go with whats tried and true, tested.

Yes. The EPA number is 330 though (for that old test data). (Had a raw range in the last EPA test, weighted, of 334 rated miles.)

If you go off the SR+ improvement of 221Wh/mi (weighted) during the test to 212Wh/mi (weighted), you'd expect the LR RWD 237Wh/mi (weighted) to go to something like 231Wh/mi (weighted), which would give a range of 343 rated miles. Obviously they could choose to voluntarily reduce it or whatever. But they're not retesting, so no need to do that at all.

Hello,

do you think the Model 3 LR RWD will have a comeback?

This version would be perfect for me. I dont need the Dual Motor I rather would like to have a little more range.

Have a nice day

Lody

guess it wont be making a comeback since they are no longer doing the Y long range rwd. figured, it wasnt..

Yea it looks like the trend is the RWD is reserved for Standard Range and AWD for LR

Why are people continuing to argue with someone who would know, and has provided a bit of information? Maybe those interested should wait till "spring" as is mentioned?

Why are people continuing to argue with someone who would know, and has provided a bit of information? Maybe those interested should wait till "spring" as is mentioned?

how are you sure he is an employee? if he is how far up the chain is he?? i have a tiny bit of doubt he is. if he is great, but i also know public corporate companies, tend to look at what makes them the most money most of the time, and change their minds as fast as you can drop a quarter to the ground. and sometimes info that gets sent down the pipe changes multiple times before the original message gets to the employees.

how are you sure he is an employee? if he is how far up the chain is he?? i have a tiny bit of doubt he is. if he is great, but i also know public corporate companies, tend to look at what makes them the most money most of the time, and change their minds as fast as you can drop a quarter to the ground. and sometimes info that gets sent down the pipe changes multiple times before the original message gets to the employees.

If you were in the market for a car (instead of already ordered one) AND wanting a new RWD model 3, AND could wait to purchase "till the spring", there is ZERO reason to not try waiting, if thats the car you wanted. None of that applies to you though, you already have a car on order.

On the other point, you are right, I dont "know". I have been around here a while and read many posts from that account however. One thing I know is, the person behind that account has a better chance of knowing than any of us in this forum, so I am inclined to believe that account rather than someone else making a definitive statement who I know has no real idea.

• Disagree
Reactions: GigaGrunt and DionG
If you were in the market for a car (instead of already ordered one) AND wanting a new RWD model 3, AND could wait to purchase "till the spring", there is ZERO reason to not try waiting, if thats the car you wanted. None of that applies to you though, you already have a car on order.

actually a year ago that one was the one i wanted. further range cheaper price and still have premium interior. i live in warm area, so awd really wont do much for me.. hate cold so doubt i'd visit a cold state willingly. if they did have it now i would switch. i just don't believe they will have. as much as i would love to go faster, a cheaper price would be very welcome since i will be buying the wife a y soon as well. though she wants 6 seats and the y 7 isnt coming out til next year, so might have to go used X. so i would change the order at a drop of a hat for a rwd if it was available.. i just dont believe it will be coming. and i dont have to absolutely get a car until summer when my son comes home from baylor.

actually a year ago that one was the one i wanted. further range cheaper price and still have premium interior. i live in warm area, so awd really wont do much for me.. hate cold so doubt i'd visit a cold state willingly. if they did have it now i would switch. i just don't believe they will have. as much as i would love to go faster, a cheaper price would be very welcome since i will be buying the wife a y soon as well. though she wants 6 seats and the y 7 isnt coming out til next year, so might have to go used X. so i would change the order at a drop of a hat for a rwd if it was available.. i just dont believe it will be coming. and i dont have to absolutely get a car until summer when my son comes home from baylor.

So wait till "spring" (end march through end june) and see?

On the other point, you are right, I dont "know". I have been around here a while and read many posts from that account however. One thing I know is, the person behind that account has a better chance of knowing than any of us in this forum, so I am inclined to believe that account rather than someone else making a definitive statement who I know has no real idea.
This guy knows what’s up.

Reactions: shrink