Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will current S/X models have bluetooth key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would it need BTLE? The battery is obviously large enough to power bluetooth for years, unless it requires the car to be awake to use. I can wake the car remotely now so sleeping doesn't shut down all communication.
I was under the impression that it used BTLE to work (a) only when you are close by (not like the 10 meters away the current fobs work sometimes) and (b) to not interfere with normal BT applications. Can BTLE be used separately?

In any case, I thought the 3's implementation was BTLE; but it does need to work better than the current BT implementation, which seems to grab your phone's BT whenever you are close to the (S or X) car!

Edit: Looking in Wikipedia, I see BTLE/BLE is supposed to work for over 100 M, even more than classic BT, so, that reason is out! :D

BTLE isn't necessary for the car, it's necessary for the phone side of things. BTLE can be run continuously without draining the phone battery. This makes it possible to use the phone as a keyless fob. Just walk up to the car with your phone in your pocket or bag, and the car unlocks, etc. BTLE also establishes connections faster than "normal" Bluetooth.

Without BTLE, you either need to put up with your phone draining quickly (and laggy unlocking) or you need to pull your phone out to tell the car to unlock.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla add this to the S and X. Will reduce costs (eliminate fob costs), while being more convenient for owners (it's a rare tesla owner that doesn't have a smartphone on them all the time, and no fob is one less thing for them to carry).

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
Why would it need BTLE? The battery is obviously large enough to power bluetooth for years, unless it requires the car to be awake to use. I can wake the car remotely now so sleeping doesn't shut down all communication.

BTLE describes the whole protocol stack that's related to but not the same as full power Bluetooth. It was made to be more power efficient, hence the name, but you can implement it on anything.

iOS for example, allows you to use BTLE in apps without having the accessory run through the Made for iPhone certification (which requires a bunch of money to Apple and specific hardware standards) because the battery load on the phone is significantly less.

Reactions: Fiddler
Interesting thought.

I don't see why not. You can already control the car from your phone. I don't see how your phone couldn't act like a key fob, where with the phone in pocket, you walk up and the door handles automatically pop up and unlock the car. That would be cool for sure.

or a situation where you walk up to it with your phone (assuming iPhone with Touch ID) and Touch ID your way in.

In the same way, you use contactless payments on a credit card terminal. Just wave your phone over it and boom you pay for your items. In this case, you open your car and maybe even start it as well?

In the same way, you use contactless payments on a credit card terminal. Just wave your phone over it and boom you pay for your items. In this case, you open your car and maybe even start it as well?

The contactless payments use NFC which only has a range of around 2 in. Perhaps good as a backup but it would not allow for automatically opening when you walk up.

What does the current key fob use?

BTLE isn't necessary for the car, it's necessary for the phone side of things. BTLE can be run continuously without draining the phone battery. This makes it possible to use the phone as a keyless fob. Just walk up to the car with your phone in your pocket or bag, and the car unlocks, etc. BTLE also establishes connections faster than "normal" Bluetooth.

Without BTLE, you either need to put up with your phone draining quickly (and laggy unlocking) or you need to pull your phone out to tell the car to unlock.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla add this to the S and X. Will reduce costs (eliminate fob costs), while being more convenient for owners (it's a rare tesla owner that doesn't have a smartphone on them all the time, and no fob is one less thing for them to carry).
As an owner of X, I can't emphasize how important the fob is because of our automatic/motorized doors. Without automatic doors I understand it might work. On the X? No thanks please keep the fob.

Considering that the new cars all have BLE keys, I'm guessing this is just a matter of a software update away for the rest of us. The question is wether the iOS/Android apps have it in the current version, or if both need to be updated. Have we heard from any of the existing owners wether or not this works yet in the Model 3?

Have we heard from any of the existing owners wether or not this works yet in the Model 3?
That's a good question but I'd think it already works since they don't have a practical keyfob.

As an owner of X, I can't emphasize how important the fob is because of our automatic/motorized doors. Without automatic doors I understand it might work. On the X? No thanks please keep the fob.
I don't see why both wouldn't work at the same time.

Don't know how accurate this was, but FWIW it was reported already last year that Tesla moved to BLE keyfobs in existing cars.
Thanks!

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Agree, FOB for opening/closing doors and summons (and Easter egg feature launching) is great and much easier than opening my iPhone.
I predict a FOB will become available to Model 3 owners, not for doors, but for other functions we don't anticipate today (windows/etc. ??). The future is: actually now ....... rather than tomorrow

Reactions: Magus
So am I understanding this correctly that your smartphone in hand or pocket or purse, etc will allow the car to unlock without touching the smartphone?
If that is the case I'd be happy with leaving the fob behind,,,,,,,,I just don't want to unlock the phone, open the app, choose unlock, yes all the time

So am I understanding this correctly that your smartphone in hand or pocket or purse, etc will allow the car to unlock without touching the smartphone?
If that is the case I'd be happy with leaving the fob behind,,,,,,,,I just don't want to unlock the phone, open the app, choose unlock, yes all the time
Correct. It's kind of like the smart locks that use BT LE from Kwikset Kevo and August. However having owned a Kevo it doesn't work that great. For example, you are supposed to touch the lock and it will automatically unlock when your phone is close by (inside your pocket or purse), but it's slow (wait 3 second or so) and sometimes takes 2 tries or more to unlock. Hopefully the one in Tesla works better.

As an owner of an X, I would prefer to go fobless. If I’m close enough to use the fob, I prefer it to use the door or trunk buttons as it’s quicker than trying to find my fob from my bag. If I’m further away, the phone doesn’t bother me to use it. Otherwise I have to fuss either way and neither offers the ability to go hands free when opening, unless..you have the premium package. In which case the fob becomes even less relevant.

Also, I doubt Tesla would remove support for the fobs. We already have them and it’s already programmed. If anything the X and S owner would just have the option of Bluetooth keyless entry in addition to our fobs, the current owners at least.