Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will CyberTruck be 1000V architecture?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watching the Semi Delivery Live Stream and they mention 1,000 V architecture. That seems like a perfect fit for the CyberTruck, because 250 kW charging isn't going to be very good with a large battery on the CT. The connector can support up to 1,000 V @ 900 A, which is 900 kW. Much better for charging a large battery.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Just watching the Semi Delivery Live Stream and they mention 1,000 V architecture. That seems like a perfect fit for the CyberTruck, because 250 kW charging isn't going to be very good with a large battery on the CT. The connector can support up to 1,000 V @ 900 A, which is 900 kW. Much better for charging a large battery.
but also much $$$

Current Tesla battery tech (chemistry + pack cooling) ends up being an average 1.5C charging rate from low to 70 - 80% SoC

If a CT has a 160 kWh pack, 1.5C is 240 kW.

1000v charging in the CT is somewhere in the range of (gimmick - modest improvement) depending on the charging scenario. When the average C rate improves, the 1000v architecture will make a more practical difference.

Current Tesla battery tech (chemistry + pack cooling) ends up being an average 1.5C charging rate from low to 70 - 80% SoC

1000v charging in the CT is somewhere in the range of (gimmick - modest improvement) depending on the charging scenario. When the average C rate improves, the 1000v architecture will make a more practical difference.
Part of the battery day discussion involved improving charging rate. Not sure how much better and since they haven’t tried any of the new chemistries on the 4680s which have been released to the public, we don’t really know. Possible the new chemistries don’t work out as well.

I doubt we would see 1,000 kW charging for more than a couple minutes regardless. I think where this is most interesting is it enables faster charging on the long range truck.

Think some people are mixing 1000V architecture and 1000kW charging... Both different things.

The CT may well be 1000W architecture but it won't charge at 1000kW due to the C-rate above. You just can't push charge that quickly into what might be at most a 100kWh battery.. different for the Semi which I think was rumoured to be 500kWh

Also I thought that the Semi was going to be using the new CHARin triangular megawatt plug.
I'd expect the CT to still be using the NACS plug.

It's just that the cabling behind the Semi-chargers and the new V4 Superchargers will be cooled differently.

Last edited:
Think some people are mixing 1000V architecture and 1000kW charging... Both different things.

The CT may well be 1000W architecture but it won't charge at 1000kW due to the C-rate above. You just can't push charge that quickly into what might be at most a 100kWh battery.. different for the Semi which I think was rumoured to be 500kWh

Also I thought that the Semi was going to be using the new CHARin triangular megawatt plug.
I'd expect the CT to still be using the NACS plug.

It's just that the cabling behind the Semi-chargers and the new V4 Superchargers will be cooled differently.

The Model X battery is 100 kW, I suspect even the dual motor Cybertruck will have a bigger cell than that, and the tri/ quad motor will likely have a pack in the 175-210 kWh range. With improved battery chemistry discussed on battery day, the higher capacity Cybertruck may hit 1000 kW charging briefly before it starts tapering.

Even 600 kW which is more likely would be a huge win.

C-rate graphics just from some comparison of 'average' vs C-rate at diff SOCs

Model 3 variations:
1669956023398.png

Model S Plaid
1669956370814.png

C-rate graphics just from some comparison of 'average' vs C-rate at diff SOCs

Yep ! Nice graphic

The C rates at SoC under 50-ish percent are impressive, but as a practical matter only add up to a couple of minutes time saved compared to 1.5C if the end of session SoC is under 50%. And for actual long distance driving where charging up to 70+ percent is fairly typical, 1.5C average rules. This is why I concluded that the 1000V architecture of the CT is a modest improvement (time wise) in certain charging scenarios, but not a game changer until the chemistry improves or cooling bumps the long charge average C rate.

As an aside, Hyun/Kia have taken the DC charging crown from Tesla with their 800V architecture, but they are doing it by pushing the average C rate much higher than Tesla allows. I don't think the higher voltage is the enabler, but rather a willingness to stress the battery.

What about the plug? If the battery in CT is 1000v, there will have to be a buck power supply inside to boost the current V2,V3 supercharger voltage up. But what about the plug? I was seeing that the tesla plug was good for 1000amps (or was it 900amps), so 1000amps @ 1000v is 1MW charging.... so could it be that the semi can use the same plug as the current North American Charging Standard?

What about the plug? If the battery in CT is 1000v, there will have to be a buck power supply inside to boost the current V2,V3 supercharger voltage up. But what about the plug? I was seeing that the tesla plug was good for 1000amps (or was it 900amps), so 1000amps @ 1000v is 1MW charging.... so could it be that the semi can use the same plug as the current North American Charging Standard?
One common idea tossed around is parallel XYZ-volt circuits like is done on other high voltage EVs.

Reactions: APotatoGod
This post of mine in the investor forum got lots of likes and should be of interest to this forum's members.

I didn't include this specifically, but the tech said that the Cybertruck port would be backwards-compatible with existing Superchargers, but that its charge rate would be many times faster. He would neither confirm nor deny that it would be compatible with Semi's next gen charger receptacle. 😉

Last edited:
This post of mine in the investor forum got lots of likes and should be of interest to this forum's members.

I didn't include this specifically, but the tech said that the Cybertruck port would be backwards-compatible with existing Superchargers, but that its charge rate would be many times faster. He would neither confirm nor deny that it would be compatible with Semi's next gen charger receptacle. 😉
Very skeptical about “5-6 times faster”.

A V3 supercharger runs at 250 kW. So 4x faster is 1000 kW, basically semi charging speeds. So 4x faster is possible.

So 4x is the max gain. Even there, you are assuming no tapering which seems unlikely. It’s more likely you’ll see a 2x speed up or less.

• Informative
Reactions: Nack and APotatoGod
Very skeptical about “5-6 times faster”.

A V3 supercharger runs at 250 kW. So 4x faster is 1000 kW, basically semi charging speeds. So 4x faster is possible.

So 4x is the max gain. Even there, you are assuming no tapering which seems unlikely. It’s more likely you’ll see a 2x speed up or less.
Well if the likely pack size is any indication it’ll probably go 1MW/1C all the way to ~70%

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod

I suspect the Semi isn’t using the CharIN MCS connector because it’s not finalized yet. CharIN sure is taking their sweet f***ing time with it… According to Wikipedia they don’t expect to have it finalized until 2024.

Long term, I don’t see 1MW as fast enough for semi EV charging, so I expect Tesla will want to upgrade to the 3.75MW MCS connector once it’s available.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Does Tesla use maximum voltage or nominal voltage when defining their architecture?

At the higher voltages, it can be a pretty significant difference between 1000V max voltage and 1000V nominal.
1000V is the max for the equipment. So the pack would need to have a peak voltage less than that* to get fully charged (nominal would be lower, of course).

*there are caveats, but roughly true

Reactions: Nack