Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Cybertruck be a Class 3 vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No way. The model 3 is much smaller than the CT. You are Making assumptions based on car platforms. Everything is heavier on trucks, heck between a model 3 and CT probably 150-200 lbs more just in tires and wheels. Just look at the fact a f150 is 20-25% heavier than an explorer. A v6 Toyota Highlander (car based) is 1200 lbs lighter (30%) then a v6 Land Cruiser (Truck based) and they are almost the same dimensions.

I’m saying 5500-6k lbs for the single. 6k-6500 for the duel and 6500-7k+ for the Tri.
That was a best-case scenario based on parts breakdown and weights that I did, but I did not include weights for the vault cover, a Class 5 hitch, or the bed. I did a further breakdown of even more parts (20 different items and systems that go in a Tesla and a pickup) and rounded up if in doubt. That only added about 500 lbs to my estimates if the battery sizes are 80, 100, and 170 kWh. I think the range estimates will be best case scenario with highway tires and wheel covers, and will decrease with off-road tires. That brings my latest estimates up to 4570 lb for Single motor with 80kWh, 5120 lb for Dual motor with 100kWh, and 6370 lb for Tri motor with 170kWh battery. This is based on Elon Musk stating at the unveiling that Cybertruck would weigh as much as F-150 (at least the Single motor would). Also assuming that since Tesla is trying to use the SS exoskeleton as the frame, there would not be a traditional frame under Cybertruck except for some reinforcing for the Class 5 hitch. These weights are still less that what I quickly estimated in the original post of this thread and a little bit less than your estimate. But we will know for sure when Tesla actually starts making them.

In most states if your Combined GVWR is over 26k lbs, you will need a non-commercial Class A license. This means you will have to go to your nearest commercial DL testing facility to take written and driving tests. The driving test will include being able to back your truck and trailer into a parallel parking space within a certain distance and also backing the trailer up to a dock. Then there will be a road test with the examiner. This is a test very similar to what the folks with a full commercial driver's license have to go through and it is not an easy test.

TL;DW version: If the driven vehicle's and the towed vehicle's GVWRs combine to be greater than 26,000 lbs you need a $5/year addition to your license in many states. If you get pulled over or are in an accident this will bite you in the butt.

This is not the empty weight, but the heaviest the vehicles are rated to carry, even if they are empty, you need the upgraded license. Since the Tri-Motor has a 14,000 lbs tow capacity the GVWR is gonna be big.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy