Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Cybertruck be the first car to use Starlink for connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like the timing is just about right for Cybertruck to switch to Starlink for its connectivity rather than terrestrial 4G/5G networks. If they announce Satellite internet with the Cybertruck and an ability to be a wireless basestation, then it's going to be a huge new feature for people who work/recreate out in remote locations where a rugged truck would work best.

Imagine this for farmers, campers, developers and ranchers. That will be a nice added feature that will add a lot of utility. Gigabit internet anywhere in the world from your truck. Plus I assume they'll get a better deal on the service from SpaceX than they do from Verizon/Sprint/AT&T.

Reactions: Phlier and Sasmania
Heck, on major highways in Toronto area I have no coverage, so yeah, it would be a welcome secondary network, no reason both could not be available (actually tri-band, wifi, cell, sat)
True.

I just keep thinking, many of the people who live in rural enough areas that are underserved by traditional internet providers are also truck buyers. Include a Starlink subscription into the truck’s price and you’ve got instant customers for Starlink and a truck with a very unique selling proposition.

Internet anywhere in the world you go. Shame they haven't figured out the charge plug on the truck. Kinda limits one to staying in North America, even though it would be a great vehicle to circle the globe in. Well, I already have a CHAdeMO adapter, when I ship the cT over to Europe to drive to China I'll at least be able to fill up in just a couple of hours, ugh!

I wonder if that guy who did the European tour with one of the first Model 3's will do the same with the cT when it comes out. I'll buy a used travel trailer when we get there and tour around the continent, plugging the European trailer into the cT's 240v plug should work, right?

And high-speed internet wherever we go. Though I do wonder about the pole that the user terminals have:

iu

Perhaps if the antenna gets too close to a ground plane it will inhibit reception. We don't know yet, still hoping it will be built, flat, into the hood. If it comes with the ability to act as a hotspot I could get rid of Comcast at the cabin.

Last edited:
I'd imagine that most any model's frunk could have a phased array plate installed on it. Not sure if a retrofit could be done in an aerodynamic manner, but going forward, I can easily see new deliveries having a slightly differently shaped hood to accommodate the PA plate.

Tunnels and overhead structures will be a problem. Normally there's LTE or atleast 3G in tunnels independent of carrier because it's a standardized transmission. Starlink is a proprietary transmission and requires a direct view of the satellite.

With 4G and 5G capable of 10/100 mbit on normal consumer subscriptions, I doubt Starlink is a good fit for a vehicle.

Except really rural areas without cellular reception. Starlink could be in addition to, as extra equipment, or pluggable to the vehicle.

We had internet radio on the iPhone and it was terrible, the drive from SLC to Reno was internet free. Then in 2013 we got a Volvo with Sirius, now we could drive anywhere we wanted (except deep forests, tunnels, and garages) and listen unimpeded, even worked in big cities. But when we got the Tesla the cellular network was SO much more complete. Still cuts out in small areas near mountain tops, but it's pretty good.

For cars like mine with free internet forever I am sure they would have been happier w/sat would be nice, but new cars you have to pay for the internet, so it's a wash.

"happier w/sat would be nice" Wish I had re-read that before the window to edit disappeared.

I was saying that they would save money on cars that they are paying for cellular on, but all new cars, the only ones that could be StarLink compatible, the customer is already paying for that connection so it's a wash.

"happier w/sat would be nice" Wish I had re-read that before the window to edit disappeared.

I was saying that they would save money on cars that they are paying for cellular on, but all new cars, the only ones that could be StarLink compatible, the customer is already paying for that connection so it's a wash.
It's not implied that Starlink is cheaper than cellular network. Even when made by SpaceX. Costs are fixed independent of users, and will probably be reasonable priced only for users with not many other options (rural areas), and after competition in each served country. SpaceX need a lot of funding for their Mars mission, so it's not like they will give it to Tesla for free.

From a total architectural standpoint, I think Starlink works better for stationary locations. In fact carriers could use it for leveraging cellular networks in rural areas:

All you need to deploy a 4G/5G access point is a solar panel, a Starlink sender, and the standard antenna equipment. Could be manufactured as a prefabricated small house with a Tesla-tiles roof. Simply place them out on concrete pads where you need cellular coverage. No fiber or power infrastructure needed.

Reactions: israndy
I'd imagine a new Teslas would continue coming standard with WiFi and cellular connectivity, with StarLink being an extra add-on. Then in the areas without cellular coverage, the car would seamlessly switch to StarLink.

This would be especially useful if the cars would offer a WiFi hotspot feature. Say one's camping out in the middle of nowhere, having a StarLink hotspot powered by a giant battery would be nice.

Obviously, they'd have to charge extra for the hotspot functionality. :)

Reactions: CyberlandBound
[QUOTE="

iu

Perhaps if the antenna gets too close to a ground plane it will inhibit reception. We don't know yet, still hoping it will be built, flat, into the hood. If it comes with the ability to act as a hotspot I could get rid of Comcast at the cabin.[/QUOTE]

I would definitely give up a bit of the Frunk space to have this thing embedded into the hood, assuming that's even possible for the signal to go through the Stainless Steel? Or would it be exposed but flush with the rest of the hood?