Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Cybertruck charge by Megacharger or Supercharger? Both?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking about this. My CT///T will be purchased to tow my 12k boat. How on earth I'm going to park 56 feet of stainless and fiberglass among sedans and SUV's has got me thinking.

The Tesla Semi is supposed to be charged on Megachargers. The power they are supposed to put out is staggering. I'm thinking that if the semi ever comes to fruition and hits the roads with its own network of Megachargers, the Cybertruck should be able to take advantage of that. However, when not towing, we should be able to use Superchargers like a normal (normal, that's funny right there) car. Do you suppose we'll have 2 charging ports? One standard Tesla car/SUV and the other for whatever style the semi's will get? My F-250 has a very large fuel port. I can pump from truck stop hoses easily, which fills my 38 gallon tank with diesel in just a few minutes.

Cybertruck may very well be the best of both worlds....

Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
I have began to notice this new configuration at some Superchargers:

467BC184-5F97-4392-977B-B2E51BFD8D2D_1_105_c.jpeg

San Jose

89C8A5C8-F415-438B-BA09-887F2865A091_1_105_c.jpeg

Scotts Valley

I wonder if they are designed to pull up to with a Semi (or CT) and plug all four plugs into the vehicle. Otherwise, why have them off in an island separate from the other chargers?

I can not see any possibility they plug up MegaChargers with non-commercial traffic.
I totally agree. Plus, there will likely be a technical reason why a Megacharger is unsuitable for a CT or other Teslas. A megacharger will have charging power far in excess of what CT and others Teslas can accept, so the Megacharger port would be horribly underutilized by a CT. Charging at a Megacharger would not increase the CT charging rate beyond what the V3 superchargers can already do, anyway,

Elon said that the cT can charge at 250kW+, and they would explain what the '+' meant later. It could be that they can charge from two stands at the same time. Like the Semi charges from 4 stands when it cannot find a Megacharger

The 4 v3 stations next to each other but near no other stations mean that a Semi can pull up and plug-in w/o blocking all the stations with its length. Until the Megachargers are available the Test Tesla Semis have been charging at regular Superchargers with a cord they plug 4 stations into while blocking access to others.

This new design at some new Superchargers was making me think they were a perfect design for the Semi as the 4 stations on each side could be charging two semis, and the v3 means they get a megawatt (250kW * 4) from those 4 stations, like at a future Megacharger.

467bc184-5f97-4392-977b-b2e51bfd8d2d_1_105_c-jpeg.520365

I cross posted this in How to Supercharge a Tesla Semi

Last edited by a moderator:
The 4 v3 stations next to each other but near no other stations mean that a Semi can pull up and plug-in w/o blocking all the stations with its length. Until the Megachargers are available the Test Tesla Semis have been charging at regular Superchargers with a cord they plug 4 stations into while blocking access to others.

This new design at some new Superchargers was making me think they were a perfect design for the Semi as the 4 stations on each side could be charging two semis, and the v3 means they get a megawatt (250kW * 4) from those 4 stations, like at a future Megacharger.

467bc184-5f97-4392-977b-b2e51bfd8d2d_1_105_c-jpeg.520365

I cross posted this in How to Supercharge a Tesla Semi
I think something is being created from nothing. It's just back to back 8 v3 chargers. This configuration is already in use in spots across the country.

Reactions: Blup85 and Chuq