Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will delays help build quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering whether the supply chain issues causing long lead times for the refresh Model S will actually work in favor for Tesla in terms of build quality and fixing other nit issues, both in manufacturing and software? It's well known that any new Tesla has a lot of issues before they eventually work them out. I'm wondering whether this is a time based fix or a volume based fix (i.e., need to crank out X cars). Opinions on this?

Imho I think Tesla feels/thinks much like software and gaming companies, in that if any issues arise they'll simply fix them after purchase as long as the majority of features can justify prompt delivery. As an early owner of a Tesla Model S, those really were their glory days compared to now, because the user base was far smaller they acted like a luxury boutique company in that any and all issues were resolved without question and they went above any beyond if you had any questions or concerns about quality. There was none of this "within spec" BS, or having to accept delivery warts and all or they'll simply give it to someone else next in line. But that is the price one has to pay when a company is going through growing pains tbh. Unfortunately we as owners play some part in this in that we are willing to either accept or overlook these issues, sometimes even defending them all in the name of EV advancement or to be part of the Tesla mindhive, lol!

I would not attribute build issues to "growing pains". Tesla has been building cars for @10 years now, and it doesn't take 20 years to suddenly realize you've misaligned things or your interior becomes a rattletrap. The American car companies fell into this malaise and you know what happened. They didn't care, as long as the cars kept selling, until they didn't. Same corporate policy at Tesla, but Musk will bail by the time it becomes an issue.

Reactions: glide
I think the supply chain issues cause as much risk to make build quality worse than make it better. Manufacturing operations are continuing trying to react to short term part shortages on a day-to-day, week-to-week basis. This drives increased focus on expediting and takes focus away from other areas, one of key ones potentially build quality control. This become particularly problematic with companies decide to 'build short', meaning they assemble leaving out a component, park those items in storage, and then have to go back and update before delivery to customers. This creates a lot of out-of-process work, which generally does not bode well for quality control.

Just my opinion. Others may and are welcome to have other views. Only time will tell.

Reactions: ayavner