Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Donald Trump's denial of scientific fact affect Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Comment on the original post , Will Donald Trump's denial of scientific fact affect Tesla?

I don't think it is possible to foresee what Trump will do, even by a close analysis of everything he has ever said. It's not clear that he even really believes a lot of what he has said- it seems like he said a lot of things that he thought people wanted to hear, and this worked very well for him. What he does in actual practice I think will often be quite different from his campaign rhetoric. Therefore I think the answer to the question is "no." Moreover, Tesla's biggest enemy isn't government, but itself, and here's why:

With or without help from government, Tesla is positioning itself to be big player in the sustainable energy world, and it probably can do this if it is able to stay in business long enough for the rest of the world to catch up. That is a big "if." Some of the things that Elon is doing now are truly "bet the company" kinds of activities (i.e., extremely risky to the company's survival). I am rooting for Tesla, and I hope they are able to get past this difficult early period in their company to become stable (i.e., profitable quarter on quarter using GAAP); but history is littered with inventors and companies that were this far ahead of their time and were not able to make it financially because the rest of the world was not ready for them. I am, and many people on this forum are doing everything in our power to support Tesla (buying stock, cars, talking up the products, etc.,), but Tesla needs millions of people doing that over years to become stable, and that will be largely determined by vehicle pricing and cost of production, i.e., they have to build an EV that is in price and quality like a Toyota Camry(or better), and still profitable. This is what will affect Tesla.

Once Trump is inaugurated and gets his hands on the Presidential Book of Secrets I'm betting we are going to learn some new things!!
Nobody has any idea based on actions as to what the new President will do with environmental concerns.
All we know is what a failure the DNC plans yielded.

As far as the world hating that the US has elections, read the press, get a good mix.

Mostly I read that the heads of state now want to improve their relations with the US, in particular Russia.
Even the Australian Government wants the US to participate in halting Chinese territorial expansion and expansion of armed Islamic militants in the Pacific. Australian PM Turnbull says Trump will project 'enhanced military power' in Asia Pacific

But I also read input from international dissents. Julian Assange is very happy, and he read Clinton's private international correspondence and internal memos. He was afraid of another Clinton Presidency.
Most countries and even dissents are going to give the new President a chance. Not all, most.

When Michael Moore thinks Clinton would have made a bad President, you really have to step back and take the pulse of the America.

Trump did not WIN the election in the US. The failure of the Democratic policies to resolve domestic and international issues caused their loss. Without the ultra-liberal New York and California voters, it would have been one of the most lopsided losses in US politics.

The average American has watched their standard of living fall, and the good paying jobs being sent to other countries.

We want our jobs back. We want our roads fixed. We want our schools to return to top tier organizations.

Nobody KNOWS what direction and effect the new President will have on the environment. Sound bites, and partial quotes are NOT action, or the Democratic Party would have won by a landslide.

The tiring stereotype that only the Democratic Party wants social justice, environmental programs, and the removal of Corporate influence in politics is not shown by the actions of the DNC. Only their election claims agree with the stereotype.

George Soros actually has more power in US politics than the Clintons, and Georgy lost his arse. He did get dope legal in California, so he did get something done. Why the HELL did Soros care about pot smoking in Redding, California? He doesn't. He just wants to own California politically by focusing on the younger demographic.

Today, California is perhaps the most racist state in the USA. Everything here is now based on the color of your skin. Every time you interface with the government, you are asked what race you are, and based on that answer, you get different treatment.
+1

antiquated Electoral College system had him as the winner. I

I felt this way as well until looking into the facts. Not antiquated at all and put in place for good reasons. NY and California would have too much say in every presidential election if not for the electoral college.
ele.jpg

This is what the final looks like despite Hillary winning popular vote

The hallmark of intellectual laziness is dismissing opposing views as dumb, racist, sexist, ignorant, etc. Take the time to understand the position of others if you're interested in advocating your position. If you can't understand and present the argument of your opponent, you will never change them. Calling Trump dumb is ridiculous. You may not like or agree with his policy positions, but that does not make him dumb.

I felt this way as well until looking into the facts. Not antiquated at all and put in place for good reasons. NY and California would have too much say in every presidential election if not for the electoral college. View attachment 201997

This is what the final looks like despite Hillary winning popular vote
Antiquated because the reason the Electoral College was created was to give the slave states more influence in the election because a large segment of their populations couldn't vote. The view shown here (and I see it all over Facebook from my "Trump friends") is a precinct view and it doesn't tell the real story. Look at FL for example which Trump won by 1 or 2%. If you trusted this chart he would have won by 85% to her 15%. Same in NY, NJ, CO, WA, OR etc....
Since the justification for it no longer exists I think it's worth a public debate on whether it should exist anymore. By the way, hypothetically if this was done in 2000 we would have had a President Gore and a President Romney.

The hallmark of intellectual laziness is dismissing opposing views as dumb, racist, sexist, ignorant, etc. Take the time to understand the position of others if you're interested in advocating your position. If you can't understand and present the argument of your opponent, you will never change them. Calling Trump dumb is ridiculous. You may not like or agree with his policy positions, but that does not make him dumb.
I'm just going by the words that come out of his mouth. His policy positions (to the extent they exist) are consistent with his offensive and erratic comments on Mexicans, Muslims, birtherism, women's issues and what he said on video about grabbing women without consent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filter
intolerance and ignoring facts and reality is the hallmark of the current leftists in the US

NY and California would have too much say in every presidential election

Not sure why you feel this is something we should not discuss. Last time I checked it was one person, one vote. What makes a vote less important to you? And your map is not all that different from the one below - just a little more blue - America has spoken in 2012 too.

The maps just show that rural areas tend to vote Republican, while cities tend to vote Democrat. Does that make someone right or wrong because of that? Maybe it is time to discuss the way we elect our president. Maybe people in California and NY (who are also the ones driving most of the cutting edge technologies and financial institutions) should have an equal say with others?

2012_Presidential_Election_by_County.svg

Last edited:
Facts matter. I take it you just didn't have time to research or didn't learn this in grade school. Don't feel bad a lot of people don't know the reason. BTW your hero advocated for abolishing the Electoral College after Romney lost 4 years ago. Ironic ;).
The Troubling Reason the Electoral College Exists
time magazine is not a credible source of information.

• Disagree
Reactions: vinnie97 and Filter
The maps just show that rural areas tend to vote Republican, while cities tend to vote Democrat. Does that make someone right or wrong because of that? Maybe it is time to discuss the way we elect our president. Maybe people in California and NY (who are also the ones driving most of the cutting edge technologies and financial institutions) should have an equal say with others?

Or maybe we should just eliminate the electoral college system. Let's face it, most voters wanted Hillary. By well over a million votes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/11/opinion/clintons-substantial-popular-vote-win.html

At least 4 million California ballots left to be counted, likely adding to Clinton's popular vote lead

time magazine is not a credible source of information.
I thought you might question the source of Time Magazine (a magazine that's only been around for almost 100 years) and I tend to not spend any time around Alt Right sites but I picked it at random because there are literally thousands of references including Electoral College (United States) - Wikipedia. Take your choice if you wish and I'm surprised you didn't educate yourself before responding but you're really embarrassing yourself on these various arguments you're getting into with everyone. I think you need a little less anger and little more research going forward.

Reactions: Filter and deonb