Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will electric vehicles put parts/repair shops out of business?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it might be worth reviving this thread, to note that hybrid battery packs are now available in the aftermarket.

Dorman Manufacturing is remanufacturing these batteries for Prius and Civic hybrid applications, supposedly more to follow: Dorman Hybrid Drive Batteries

Since Dorman is a supplier to NAPA, these will be available soon also in your local NAPA store. Prices will be in the $1500-1700 range I think.

I think it is safe to say that some parts and repair shops will be put out of business by EVs. Some will adapt, and service EVs after the warranty is expired. While the amount of service required per car is likely to decrease, the number of cars on the road is likely to increase. Some will continue to focus on ICE cars as a niche market. Prices will go up, volume will go down, but if you love your vintage car, and you have the cash, you will pay to keep it running.

If you happen to run a business that depends on servicing the ICE, it would be very wise to pay close attention to EVs, because their are opportunities, and there are serious challenges. If you keep running your business as if EVs didn't exist, it will be your own fault when your business model falls to pieces around you.

As someone who actually works in an aftermarket automotive parts store, I'll answer with a resounding "yes". It's not a matter of adapting, without ICE components we practically have no business.

Independent mechanics may be able to survive but it will definitely hurt their business too.

Not that this really matters, ICE cars aren't going anywhere for a long time, so business will dwindle naturally over decades.

As someone who actually works in an aftermarket automotive parts store, I'll answer with a resounding "yes". It's not a matter of adapting, without ICE components we practically have no business.

I actually work in an aftermarket automotive parts store, have for 28 years, and I tell you we will be fine.

Plus EV's will still need wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, u-joints, axle shafts, shocks/struts, wipers, brake components, tires, and....hmmm, I'm drawing a blank.

At the end there you're cute, but the reality is that there's a whole lot of "failure-able" parts in a car that have nothing to do with the drivetrain. Do you really think a company in the business of selling car parts is going to ignore all those parts and say, "Well, all the engines are gone, I guess we're screwed"?

This place drives me crazy. I remember why I stopped coming here. It's so full of True Believers that when someone from the outside offers up statement grounded in fact, everyone chimes in "No you're wrong! You don't get EV's! Everything will be different now!"

It's a car folks. With an electric motor. Otherwise it's no different than any other. They'll wear out and break just the same.

It's a car folks. With an electric motor. Otherwise it's no different than any other. They'll wear out and break just the same.

Electric motor, no transmission, powerful regenerative braking and electric AC/heat pump. So, it goes a bit beyond the drivetrain.

I think that the irony of this thread is that I think EVs are more of a threat to the dealership business model that depends on service and repair for profit. EVs simplify and warranty the most manufacturer-specific part of the car. Independents handle generics and aftermarket.

I think that the irony of this thread is that I think EVs are more of a threat to the dealership business model that depends on service and repair for profit.

You're right about that. No one makes money selling new cars. Used cars, yes. But the public has beaten down the dealers to the point where the only place to make any money is the back room.

EVs simplify and warranty the most manufacturer-specific part of the car. Independents handle generics and aftermarket.

With all the platform sharing going on, the engines are now the most generic part of the car. You'd also be surprised how much the dealers rely on the aftermarket for parts supply.

At the end there you're cute,
Well thanks, I guess I can't help it, since I wasn't trying to be. I was honestly thinking about the parts that might need replacing that I would not necessarily need to get from Tesla. The way components are integrated into the car I doubt I'll buy an aftermarket charger or DC/DC converter if they fail out of warranty.
but the reality is that there's a whole lot of "failure-able" parts in a car that have nothing to do with the drivetrain. Do you really think a company in the business of selling car parts is going to ignore all those parts and say, "Well, all the engines are gone, I guess we're screwed"?
I guess we could add radiators, fans, and heater cores. Lights maybe but LED's will probably last the life of the car. But anything related to exhaust, filters, fuel, ignition, and transmission is gone in an EV.
This place drives me crazy. I remember why I stopped coming here. It's so full of True Believers that when someone from the outside offers up statement grounded in fact, everyone chimes in "No you're wrong! You don't get EV's! Everything will be different now!"
Where did that happen?

Actually it will wear out and break differently, and potentially much less often.

Just got the 'driver's lower corner crack' in my windshield after 12k miles. So the answer to this thread would be 'No'. Especially since I'll likely not replace this windshield for a long time; the crack is curving away from driver's line of vision.
--

Last edited:
I think it's pretty clear that no, EVs won't put auto parts stores out of business. Yes, there's far fewer drive train components to sell, but anything for: suspension, ac, motor cooling, heating, electrical, door handles and windows, sound systems, brakes (yes its less frequent but wear and tear still occurs), sensor (parking, etc).

Seriously, you've GOT to be kidding me.

For a great example just read the comments in the thread regarding the Automotive News article that came out this week.
I thought you were referring to this thread. I don't have the time to read every thread on the board, much as I try.

Here is a list of categories from AutoZone.

- - - Updated - - -

Belts and hoses, gone.
Drivetrain, mostly gone.
Emission control, gone.
Engine Management, gone.
Exhaust, gone.
External Engine, gone.
Filters and PVC, gone.
Fuel Delivery, gone.
Gaskets, gone.
Ignition and tune up, gone.
Internal Engine, gone.
Routine maintenance, gone.
Starting and charging, starting is gone.

Plus if you drill down some of the categories that aren't gone are drastically simplified.
Certainly parts will still need replacement but I'd say it's going to be a significantly lower amount and many of them will likely come from the OEM, or salvage yards.

I actually work in an aftermarket automotive parts store, have for 28 years, and I tell you we will be fine.

Hmm, maybe I am being a bit negative but I really don't see it myself. Yes there are plenty of non-ICE related components in my store but the truth of the matter is they are not big money makers for us the same way regular ICE service parts are and EVs don't exactly bring much new to the table to take their place.