Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Elon give Autopilot free for 2018 or early 2019 buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I see some of my friends who are getting Model 3 late in 2019 (and now in 2020 too) that includes 'Free Autopilot', I kinda keep thinking/hoping that someday Elon will give that same functionality (Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.) for us buyers who in fact paid more $$ being early birds. This same functionality is listed as $3000 now when I click on 'Upgrades' link in the app, and indeed I paid probably $8k more compared to SR+ that is being sold now. Not fair o_O !

Last edited by a moderator:
...indeed I paid probably $8k more compared to SR+ that is being sold now. Not fair o_O !

Why stopping at 2018/2019 owners, what about 2012 owners?

The base price of 2012 Model S didn't even include navigation but if you waited long enough, now all models have navigation included.

Price comes down as the technology is more widely available.

That's how it works! Why people bought an expensive big gigantic radio with vacuum tubes when they could wait and buy a vacuum tube black & white TV...

And why buying a vacuum tube black & white TV when they could wait and buy a cheaper transistor color TV...?

Time has a premium. People pay more for early access. People have to pay more in terms of more waiting time for the price to drop in technology.

When I see some of my friends who are getting Model 3 late in 2019 (and now in 2020 too) that includes 'Free Autopilot', I kinda keep thinking/hoping that someday Elon will give that same functionality (Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.) for us buyers who in fact paid more $$ being early birds. This same functionality is listed as $3000 now when I click on 'Upgrades' link in the app, and indeed I paid probably $8k more compared to SR+ that is being sold now. Not fair o_O !
Sure can I have your $7500 tax rebate?

New here (waiting to purchase our first Tesla when the Model Y Standard range eventually drops), but just echoing what others have already stated. Some of us wait because we KNOW the cost will eventually drop and we’re okay waiting. I expect the technology to only improve and with it the cost to decrease (barely offset by any inflation). This is how technology has always worked.

For example, a decade ago (2008) I waited until Black Friday (and in a chilly long line overnight) to score a 47” LCD 1080P tv. I was able to get it on sale for $1500 (which was $700 CHEAPER than its regular price). Last year that tv finally went to the grave and on Black Friday we replaced it with a tv that was the same brand (LG), but a larger version (55”), and now 4K instead of 1080P, and it is a smart TV. The price was only $299 and that was only $100 less than its now “original price.” So a decade later and we have way better technology at a SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper price.

For reference I’ll attach images of both ads.
FF8D54BF-1603-4AB8-9EFC-5499CA2DE2F1.jpeg
0B4C29A4-AFBA-4EE4-8400-62716651C796.jpeg

If it makes you feel better....

I'm an internal Tesla employee and bought my MR in March of 2019. Tesla had an internal incentive program running in Q4 of 2018 that granted employees a FREE FSD upgrade if they purchased an M3 with AutoPilot.

Fast forward to March 2019 when I purchased my M3 (Autopilot was still a purchase option but I no longer qualified for a free FSD upgrade so I decided to keep the extra 2,000$ (this was the cost of AP in March) and hopefully buy later down the line.

Fast forward to to present day in 2020, all M3s are being delivered with AP standardized. Tesla is now running the promotion again for employees who purchase an M3 get the FSD upgrade again.

EDIT: I've reached out to everyone who has the power to do something and they will not honor an upgrade for me. (I've offered to pay full price for AP to receive the FSD upgrade still no dice)

I'm an internal Tesla employee and bought my MR in March of 2019. Tesla had an internal incentive program running in Q4 of 2018 that granted employees a FREE FSD upgrade if they purchased an M3 with AutoPilot.
By “AutoPilot” do you mean EAP?

Fast forward to to present day in 2020, all M3s are being delivered with AP standardized. Tesla is now running the promotion again for employees who purchase an M3 get the FSD upgrade again.
But it’s not exactly the same promotion, since as you note all cars now come with the basic AP (TACC and AutoSteer), so are you saying that the current Tesla employee promotion for those who buy a Model 3 is that for those employees buying the car now FSD is included at no cost?

I’m just curious. I think it’s great that Tesla is doing this for employees!