Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Elon give Autopilot free for 2018 or early 2019 buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happily I really like the car and AP and FSD weren't even something I cared about :) - it's a fast EV and I really like driving it and prefer that until it can drive me cross country w/o intervention. Then you're talking! ;)

My feelings exactly. I rarely drive on the freeway for long distances so AP/FSD don’t do much for me. But if they allowed for truly autonomous driving on both city and highway roads I’d be all over it. But the Model 3 is still the most amazing car I’ve ever owned and I look forward to driving it every day.

Reactions: SlimJim
Those of us that bought our Model 3s early on were given an opportunity to add it during the special half off feature offer back in March 2019. I already had EAP at time of delivery but ordered FSD during that offer. I know people who didn't have any of the assisted driving options could have added AP at that time at the reduced price. So IMO, no there will be no free offer.

Reactions: ElectricIAC and TEG
I really like AP. Picked it up for 2K in the sale earlier this year wish I picked up FSD at the time for 3K but wasn’t ready to pull the trigger.
At any rate regular AP works really well for me. My commute is 18 miles of surface street with traffic lights. For the most part 3 lanes on each side. I hunker down in the middle lane with AP and get to work safe and sound. It’s just a slow tedious drive. It’s really easy to space out after 30 minutes of this and I’ve still got another 15 to 20 minutes to go. It works really well. Me driving the car doesn’t make this anymore fun. Sure I could probably drive like a bat out of hell and make it a little more pleasant but there a bunch of other folks on the road in the same situation so it would be a lot more dangerous. Don’t get me wrong I’ll open her up on lower traffic days and it’s TONS of fun.

We can agree to disagree on the quality of the current lane keep and TACC even if you're correct and it's better than the competition. Still not thinking it's worth 3k personally..
Not falming, but what competition are you talking about? Super Cruise? That's far from free IMO. They do offer AP as promised for $1000 more than when they offered it on sale to those people that were buying during the EAP transition period. For 3k you can still get AP or wait for it to go on sale again. Not sure they have any reason to give it out for free. I think most people that wanted it would have purchased it when they bought their cars. FSD on the other hand is much more in the air as to what it will bring. I get why people would not have purchased that.

Personally I have been using enhanced summon more and more, and regular summon so I don't have to worry about curbing my front bumper or fixing my parking job when I exit (to get perfectly centered in the space).

I use auto park less than I used to though... Makes me so uneasy! AP I use daily, mostly on my way home. Not sure if I will use it as much once I lose carpool lane access, but for now I just set it to 75-80mph and stay in the right lane unless passing.

For 3k they should probably allow initiated lane changes, but currently that and summon are probably the biggest selling points to upgrade to FSD. NOA needs work.

Maybe Tesla should release adaptive cruise only for $1000?

I know, not worth it to me at that price
They need to do another trial. It's improved allot over there past year, although the latest update is ping ponging me a bit again. May or may not be worth it to you but it's worth the price to me on my long commute. It seems to work better at night for me though, the reflective paint on the freeways here can be near invisible at certain times in the day.

@Glamisduner I'm glad you find it useful, it's the beauty of life. We don't have to agree to both be right :)

Also note I was talking specifically about TACC vs the whole of FSD and given Tesla was willing to do a performance boost for AWD, offering some more 'popular' parts of AP at a reduced still seems like leaving money on the table.

The basic stuff is priced and sold as AP. It did go 'on sale' last year for about 10 days, but only Elon knows how many takers they had at the sale price of $2k.
He also remembers the howling that went up from the people who bought early and were offended at the $2k price point.

As time goes on and basic AP is better differentiated from EAP and FSD Tesla will be able to offer a basic package with less fleet angst.

Anything more than $1,000 based off FSD upgrade price is a ripoff.

So you're thinking more than $8,000 combined with FSD is a bad price?

I was thinking about it the other way, if FSD includes 6 features (NOA, lane change, autopark, summon, stop lights, city driving) and costs $7,000, then that's ~$1,200 per feature. Base Autopilot is autosteer and traffic aware cruise control, so $2,000 AP would work out to $1,000 per feature.