Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Elon Musk be Time's 'Person of the Year'?

Will Elon Musk be Time's 'Person of the Year'?

• Yes

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Don't Know or Care

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It never occured to me that he might be named person of the year but now that I think about it I think he's be a great choice. He certainly has had an incredible year on multiple fronts and the media appears to be pretty enamoured with the whole "Elon Musk is Tony Stark (Iron Man)" angle. While I think the chance is slim that he actually will be person of the year I do think he's be a perfectly good choice.

It never occured to me that he might be named person of the year but now that I think about it I think he's be a great choice. He certainly has had an incredible year on multiple fronts and the media appears to be pretty enamoured with the whole "Elon Musk is Tony Stark (Iron Man)" angle. While I think the chance is slim that he actually will be person of the year I do think he's be a perfectly good choice.

I've been batting this around since the first Model S reviews came out and the mainstream press started thinking about Tesla as a huge success story. I don't think he will win the award this year, but if a business leader does win it should be Elon Musk. Tony Stark aside, Elon is a combination of Howard Hughes, Henry Ford and Steve Jobs and he is busy setting up his own iconic entrepreneurial benchmark that has the potential to stand with those greats.

Given that all of this relies on Musk's ventures fully realizing their success, there will be other opportunities down the road for him to be Person of the Year. For instance, in 2015 he is likely to put a man in space and offer Bluestar $30,000 electric sedans for sale.

That's a pretty big deal, made bigger by the fact that Model S and Model X could be seriously taking away luxury brand market share in 2013 and 2014, while he will also be launching the worlds largest rocket in 2013, supplying cargo to the ISS and (gasp for breath) launching large numbers of commercial payloads to firmly establish SpaceX as the dominant commercial launch system.

Other potential 2015 milestones.. launching a private manned mission to circle the Moon and launching the worlds first private space station, built by Bigelow Aerospace and currently scheduled to launch in 2014 or 2015.

Frankly the hits look to keep on coming. If I was the Time Magazine managing editor I'd put Elon on a shelf in a glass jar labeled "Person of the Year" and break it open any time I have a slow news year.

Perhaps the poll should have offered 2013, 2014, 2015+ as options too. I think Time likes a scoop, and buzz will build through 2012, so I rolled the dice and voted 'Yes' - BTW, when's the next SpaceX launch? If you look at who they've chosen in the past, Elon's not far-fetched. And almost certainly they'll choose a person this year after last year's abstract 'The Protester'. Jobs would have been up for it, but I don't believe they've awarded it posthumously. An election year always offers the winning candidate. Olympics for sports. Greek Parliament? Supreme Court? The door seems open...

I'm going to really take a risk and go out on a limb here, but I predict that the majority of votes will be for Elon to be Time's pick as 'Person of the Year'.

Call me crazy, but I have a feeling that the majority of TMC is made up of Tesla enthusiasts who just *might* vote for him.

In fact, I'd be willing to place a small wager. Any takers??

If Mitt wins, he'll walk away with it. If Obama gets re-elected, he'll come quite close too.

Historically, politicians and world leaders have won it more often than not; entrepreneurs have been far behind. Zuckerberg's win was not as much a surprise as Bezos's was; the late Jobs never got it.

Time Person of the Year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, it's not based on popular vote alone; there's some editorial "input" that makes the final call. Had it been based on popular vote alone, I know of a certain cricketer from India who would get about a billion votes in the blink of an eye!

Bonnie, I'll take you up on that *small* wager :)

No way Mitt would win it.

Suppose he cured cancer, personally funded SpaceX and Tesla, dropped taxes to <= 1% for every American citizen, and reduced the national debt by 50% in 3 months. Time still wouldn't even consider him for Person of the Year.