Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

will enhanced autopilot or FSD help drive itself from Newark airport to Manhattan to Queens without getting lost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a newbie and about to buy my first Tesla Model 3.

I rarely make long trips. Every year, I only drive from DC to NYC once or twice, always a straight line on I-95. No need for navigation for the first 200 miles(I-95 and then NJ Turnpike) However, I do get ridiculously lost after I reach the Newark airport area... then continue to Manhattan and then Queens. Apple Maps, Google Maps or even the factory Lexus navigation. I always get lost somewhere, regardless of which one I use. :(

Same thing happens when I drive from DC to Chicago maybe once every year or two. I'm perfectly fine traveling on the interstate through Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio and then finally into Chicago area. The interstates up there are straight and simple... I only start using navigation once I'm in Chicago... then I end up having the same issues as when I'm in the NYC area. None of the navigation apps that I mentioned above can really help me because the roads in Chicago are almost as confusing as NYC... and the drivers in Chicago area drive at 90mph like maniacs.(no offense, but it's true!)

will enhanced autopilot or FSD help drive itself from Newark airport to Manhattan to Queens without getting lost? (or around Chicago?)

Thanks!

The Navigation System is what you want to use. Autopilot or FSD may help you drive the car, but won't help you be any less lost.

so if certain parts of NYC and Newark have roads that confuses even the factory Lexus navigation, Google Maps and Apple Maps, I should pretty much expect the same with Tesla's built-in navigation? :( For example, there's an intersection with a roundabout across the river from Manhattan. I go there whenever I'm in the area because my friend lives there. All three navigation apps get confused(or get me confused) by saying "take the fourth street on your right then proceed half a mile".(the roundabout is where 3 streets and 1 shopping plaza parking entrance meet)

I'm a newbie and about to buy my first Tesla Model 3.

I rarely make long trips. Every year, I only drive from DC to NYC once or twice, always a straight line on I-95. No need for navigation for the first 200 miles(I-95 and then NJ Turnpike) However, I do get ridiculously lost after I reach the Newark airport area... then continue to Manhattan and then Queens. Apple Maps, Google Maps or even the factory Lexus navigation. I always get lost somewhere, regardless of which one I use. :(

Same thing happens when I drive from DC to Chicago maybe once every year or two. I'm perfectly fine traveling on the interstate through Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio and then finally into Chicago area. The interstates up there are straight and simple... I only start using navigation once I'm in Chicago... then I end up having the same issues as when I'm in the NYC area. None of the navigation apps that I mentioned above can really help me because the roads in Chicago are almost as confusing as NYC... and the drivers in Chicago area drive at 90mph like maniacs.(no offense, but it's true!)

will enhanced autopilot or FSD help drive itself from Newark airport to Manhattan to Queens without getting lost? (or around Chicago?)

Thanks!

Assuming that this is a serious question (which is the assumption I am currently making), The car navigation is going to be exactly as effective (or not) as any of the other navigation systems you have already used.

"FSD" will have zero to do with this, because you will not be turning over control of the car to the car for navigating around cities.

Now, I completely understand feeling lost all the time. I am someone who has driven around with Thomas brothers guides (for those old enough to remember those) pre navigation, and as soon as in car navigation was "a thing", I ordered navigation with the car. So, I get being lost, but FSD is not going to help you in the slightest (literally "not at all") in this situation, so if THIS is the reason you are purchasing the car, you need to go back to the drawing board.

Reactions: E90alex
so if certain parts of NYC and Newark have roads that confuses even the factory Lexus navigation, Google Maps and Apple Maps, I should pretty much expect the same with Tesla's built-in navigation?

Yes, you should expect exactly the same, all the car maps are very similar so if you feel those 3 systems are confusing in this area, there will be zero (zero) difference with tesla's or probably anyone elses.

Assuming that this is a serious question (which is the assumption I am currently making), The car navigation is going to be exactly as effective (or not) as any of the other navigation systems you have already used.

"FSD" will have zero to do with this, because you will not be turning over control of the car to the car for navigating around cities.

Now, I completely understand feeling lost all the time. I am someone who has driven around with Thomas brothers guides (for those old enough to remember those) pre navigation, and as soon as in car navigation was "a thing", I ordered navigation with the car. So, I get being lost, but FSD is not going to help you in the slightest (literally "not at all") in this situation, so if THIS is the reason you are purchasing the car, you need to go back to the drawing board.

I must be getting old.... I failed to see the part where it said FSD only worked on highways. :(

Not sure if these reasons are valid, but they are what I've been using to convince myself to finally buy a Tesla:

(1) Tesla is relatively cheaper than all the other options I'm looking at.(thanks to rising prices and stupid dealer markups, as much as $7000)

(2) hate gasoline now that everything else in my house has been converted to electricity only (riding lawn mower, trimmer, saw, stove) yes, I know this sounds stupid,

(3) office building has 15 new free fast charging spots for EVs... and they are right next to the building

(4) my town just got three new Tesla super chargers, finally!

(5) now prefer cars that act like smartphones

I must be getting old.... I failed to see the part where it said FSD only worked on highways\

FSD is not going to help you in the slightest in the situation you are talking about. Not at all, at least not in its current iteration. No one should ever purchase something based on what it "might" do in the future, you need to be happy with what it does now, and it will not help you at all in the situation you describe (repeat, at all, none).

Do not buy this car because you think FSD is going to help you with what you described (which has nothing to do with the reasons you laid out about wanting one). Buy it for some other reasons, but not because you think the car is going to drive itself somewhere to keep you from getting lost, cause that is not going to happen.

FSD is not going to help you in the slightest in the situation you are talking about. Not at all, at least not in its current iteration. No one should ever purchase something based on what it "might" do in the future, you need to be happy with what it does now, and it will not help you at all in the situation you describe (repeat, at all, none).

Do not buy this car because you think FSD is going to help you with what you described (which has nothing to do with the reasons you laid out about wanting one). Buy it for some other reasons, but not because you think the car is going to drive itself somewhere to keep you from getting lost, cause that is not going to happen.

no.. I'm not buying the Tesla because of FSD... just that I've spent the last few months researching almost all the other features of the Model 3 and the FSD/autopilot was the only remaining issue that I haven't figured out yet. (so I don't have to post 50 other new threads here to ask all sorts of questions :) )

I have even already figures out ALL of the accessories that I want to add after I take delivery... where to park... contacted the electrician about where to install the charger in my home, even took all members of my family(tall family) to the test drive to make sure all of us would be comfortable enough.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
My Tesla's navigation system has never failed to get me where I'm going, but it does sometimes choose questionable routes, so if a route suggestion feels wrong, it might be. On rare occasions, the voice guidance doesn't match the proposed route. For example, there's one roundabout I've driven through several times where the voice says take the second exit, but the correct path (and the one shown on the map) is the third exit.

Let me offer a slightly different perspective than most of the respondents here which are basically saying that FSD won't be 100% effective in getting you to your destination, and if the nav system itself gives bad directions, then FSD is not going to solve that.

However, if your problem is that you have trouble following the nav system when you are driving your car (maybe you can't focus on the road as well as the nav system screen and interpret what it is saying to do), then yes, I do think it's possible that FSD (beta) could help you, as it will help get you into the right turning lanes at the right time. But of course it's only beta and not perfect at this time, so you will have to be monitoring it. It will continue to improve, however.

My son recently moved to a suburb of DC and there is one particular set of interchanges (and this is on highway, so I was using Navigate on Autopilot rather than FSD) that the system was able to successfully navigate and I'm pretty certain I would have missed an exit because it quickly determined which lane(s) to get into. So it does help. On the other hand, it's also made me more reliant on the technology and I am not learning the roads...so that when we take my wife's car that doesn't have NoA (or FSD beta), we are back to hand-navigating again, but now without the benefit of having learned the roads. But hey, technology marches on. We used to be able to use maps, yellow pages, card catalogs (and regular catalogs!) and have now lost some of those skills to technology.

If you have FSD then using Navigate On AutoPilot it will drive all highways along the route, taking exits and highway interchanges by itself. I have done Newark airport 78 to Queens (involving 6 highways GA Pkway, I-78, I-95, BQE and Cross Bronx Parkway) and also from Newark to JFK airport via NJ Turnpike and Belt Parkway—using NoAP and with little or no intervention. I have set it to auto lane and it negotiates heavy traffic merging and lane switching on these highways well.

You will have to take control during tolls. Also, it will switch to a regular Auto Pilot after it exits the final highway unless and until you have FSD beta.

Reactions: Dewg