TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will EV range become a non-issue?

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by Sunlight, Aug 10, 2017 at 3:10 AM.

1. Sunlight

Sunlight Member

Batteries are heavy things to cart around when not necessary. And expensive......

When new-tech batteries and chargers mean that 10-80% charge can be done in a few minutes, will range above (guess) 100 miles be necessary?

This would keep the weight and cost of EVs lower, give adequate range for 'normal' use. If one got caught short and there are numerous fast chargers, a quick 5 min charge would be adequate. Then range becomes fairly irrelevant.....

Long distance touring may still be inconvenienced but a 5 min stop every couple of hours is hardly a ball-breaker.

I believe the range-anxiety neurosis that holds back the take-up of EVs is currently driven by the perceived inability to find a charger and the belief that any decent charge will take 'hours and hours'.............

• Like x 1
  2. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

It's not that simple. When you see some lab tech where they show charging in a couple minutes, or even seconds, they're really just talking about ion mobility (the minimum possible time to charge, where if you try to charge faster, all of the extra energy just gets wasted as heat). Even if they can show great longevity in such fast charges (which they often don't demonstrate), and economic viability (which they almost never demonstrate) it doesn't deal with heat removal from the pack, which is a major limiting factor. The larger the format cells, the more energy density you get but the slower the heat removal, and vice versa - so there's a balance.

Secondly, asking your average driver to pull over once an hour - even if for a short period of time - is worse than asking them to stop once every 3 hours for half an hour or so. Remember, we're not talking about converting EV fans, we're talking about converting the masses who are reluctant to give EVs a chance. Telling them that they need to stop once an hour, wherever they are, whatever they're doing? That will go over like a lead balloon.

• Like x 3
  3. 11thIndian

11thIndian Member

We're still at the very nascent stages of the ICE--->EV transition. If you look at battery tech from 20 years ago, and then even just mirror that 20 years ahead (so barring any crazy breakthroughs), then range and charging times will be equivalent if not largely exceed what people get out of an ICE vehicle now.

And what EV critics always seem to forget is that if you have home charging, you start with a full tank every day. I think at the end of the EV transition, we'll see far less charging stations than gas stations in regular daily commuting zones (because people just won't need more than 250miles/400kms of distance a day), but probably an equal amount along long-distance interstate routes. Though it would surprise the heck out of me if hotels- either directly or thru partnerships, didn't get into the charging game.

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I don't think the majority of long range driving will ever be done by cars with ~100 mile batteries, no.

As Karen alluded to, there are big psychological issues with the five minute stop every hour, even if the trip would be faster overall than the thirty minutes every three hours.

I'm also pretty sure the trip wouldn't be shorter, once you factor in the time to detour off the freeway. The hundred mile driver needs to eat, too - but he can't get the full benefit from the time he stopped, because he fills his little battery long before he finishes eating, but still has to stop an hour later.

Also think about the logistics on a road trip destination - you need chargers much closer to your destination sites, and might still have to stop for intermediate charges during the touristing.

I think there's a major shift in practicality and logistics somewhere in the 200 to 300 mile range, and possibly a second one in the 300-400 range, regardless of how fast you make charging or how many charge stations you have.

I've never met someone who wished for less range in their EV - or even was jealous of how alter car was slightly more efficient with its smaller battery.

Given the choices I had then, I'd pick my X75D again - but I would love to have more range, and of the 100 had been available I might have chosen differently...

5. Graffi

Graffi Member

Because of the Current and Expected Supercharger network we felt that the MS 75D had more than enough range to get us almost anywhere we would like to go. When it is time for our M3 we would like to go with the Standard 220mi range but may end up getting the extended 310 mile range version just so we do not have to wait.

For our long drives in the past we always rented a car. We would always stop for break every 1 to 2 hours. With our Tesla we did the same thing so our total trip time did not increase that much. We actually spent more time at most stations talking to others about out Tesla and EV's in general.