Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will factory reset solves these issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks,

I hope you're all well. There are a few issues I'm having with my Model 3 (2019, standard range plus, software 2023.12.5). I'm wondering if a factory reset will help solve the issues, but I'm not sure if it'll also affect some of the features of the car like premium connectivity for internet/music/etc... I've bought the car used (someday I'll get it fresh from Tesla!)

Here are the issues I'm seeing:

1. The windshield wipers go off automatically when I'm on autopilot, even when there isn't any rain and visibility is fully clear. This means I can't use autopilot without the wiper turning on on their own
  2. The lane assistance feature isn't working properly. I've let the car get near and cross a lane (safely without other cars around) and only about 25% of the time does it assist and steer me back into the lane
  3. The driver walkway parking feature where the car windows close, mirrors fold and the car turns off doesn't always work. It fails about 20% of the time, and once I didn't notice my car’s windows weren't closed and doors weren't locked as I left it in parking outside a store

Would a factory reset help with these issues? Will it cause any premium connectivity issues?

Thank you :)

None of those look like a factory reset would help with, at least to me.

1. Definitely no, that is reported by many so its "not just you".
2. is dependent on a number of things so I doubt a factory reset changes anything here.
3. Maybe? I would definitely try rebooting instead of factory resetting though.

Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0
Welcome!

I agree with @jjrandorin. As they suggested, I would definitely try a reboot but not a reset. In addition, if you bought the car used I'm surprised there wasn't a factory reset done during the sale. That seems odd. If you're using the seller's premium connectivity then you may well lose it if you do a reset.
  1. If my auto-wipers start when there is no rain, I take it as a sign I should wash the windshield. This fixes the problem. I usually wash the car every one or two weeks and the wipers usually behave.
  2. This is pretty normal. You could try doing a camera calibration. But that requires that you do a lot of highway driving before you get AP and other features back while the cameras calibrate.
  3. Make sure the Tesla app is always on on your phone. Don't let it be put in the background or put to sleep in order to save power. In the meantime, I think you can lock the car via the touchscreen before you get out. If you phone has NFC then you should be able to touch it to the b-pillar to lock the car.
These are all common complaints here. I don't recall anyone saying a factory reset fixed any of them but factory resets seem rare around here. Reboots can fix weird problems. I don't think a reset would help any more than a reboot.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
#1, this is "by design", wipers are set to auto when using autopilot, and these AI wipers sometimes misbehave and wipe for no reason.

#2, When you say lane assist, do you mean autopilot or something else? I haven't seen autopilot get out of my lane unless I am NOT on the highway and I'm in a pretty harsh curve at high speed.

For #3, that happens to me if my wife leaves her cell phone in the car since it also is configured as phone as key. Make sure that's not your case. Also, bluetooth (on which this is based) has weird behaviors at range sometimes. I've seen my car lock when I'm 4-5 feet away, but I've also seen my car let me get in and even drive while my phone was in my bedroom on the second floor of my house... If you're parked fairly close to the shop, this could happen.

Now there'S another possibility... it could be that your seat sensor is bad and the car thinks you're still sitting in it. In those cases the car would stay on, the AC would continue to run, lights would stay on, music would still play etc... Verify if that's what's happening to you.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Hello folks and thank you all for your responses.

Recently, a Tesla technician had to replace a part in my trunk (lid harness recall) and I got to talk with them about the three questions I had. And I must say, you're all very in-tune with your knowledge! He suggested the same things you did @jjrandorin @BitJam @GtiMart

For #2, yes this is when I'm not on autopilot, just regular driving @GtiMart @dusty22

Either way, a camera calibration reset seems to have done the trick for the wipers and for the lane-keeping assist. And the technician did suggest that if a driver has parked, and remains in the car for a few minutes using their phone, the car might simply "turn off" with the driver in it, which can lead to the walkaway feature not functioning as expected. And thank you for the resource @ATPMSD!

Cheers everyone

• Helpful
Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0