TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will Falcon Wing doors start to irritate you?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Dutchie, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

I saw the video of the falcon wing doors closing. It take more than three seconds I think. I think it will start to irritate as - when you have the children finally sitting in the backseat - you just want to go. In ordinary cars you can do that. Slam the doors closed and go. With the falcon wing doors, you have to wait and wait until the mechanism finally closes.

Any other thoughts about that?

2. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I think they're going to be about the same speed as the automated minivan doors I've seen. Also, anything is faster than waiting for my 5 year old to try and close the door of the Yukon when we're on a slight sideways hill. ;)

Also, I think it's pretty obvious that the doors in the video weren't working like Tesla wants them to.

3. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Most of my coworkers minivans I've been in have automatic sliding doors, and they all take at least that long to open and close.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Assuming there is a button on the inside of the door frame to touch to start the closing process, I think that by the time I hit that, open my door, get in, close my door and buckle, that the falcon wings will be closed. I'm more concerned about being annoyed by the time to open when I'm in a hurry and just want to grab my bag out of the back seat or something. I'm assuming the opening speed will be something like the rear hatch on the Model S. Slowish if you're in a rush, find if you have a little patience.

5. msp85+

msp85+ Member

The electric sliding doors on a mini van also take time to close as well. I don't think the 3-second falcon wing delay will be irritating.

6. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#6 scottf200, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

7. tezco

tezco Sig P85

I'd be more irritated the first time snow falls on the back seat when they first open, and then won't stay closed due to a buildup of snow on the seals.

8. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

I am getting irritated just reading all these negative thoughts about a vehicle that no one has even seen.:)

9. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

If you don't have 3 seconds to spare you obviously don't have children.

- father of 3

(Also I think it would take me >3 seconds to go around the car, get in the driver's seat, fasten my seat belt and get going)

10. Freudianly

Freudianly Banned

#10 Freudianly, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    As if Elon had not thought about it ! The guy has 5 children and is always in a hurry. So of course the model X touch screen will offer you the possibility to choose between two settings : "Open The Door Of Your Mind To Buddha" (an appropriate Tibetan music will be played for 30 seconds) and "Slam Shut, Yo!" (with Ali G shouting "In your face, biatch!" through the speakers at maximum volume).

11. eltoro

eltoro Member

Perhaps they will be "servo doors"? I.e. you can grab the handle and open/close the door at your own speed?

12. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

The only way they will irritate me is if they do not work properly in tight headroom garages....... Otherwise I think they will work just great. :)

13. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Agreed. As a father of two and a minivan owner (in addition to my MS) the doors are very convenient in that you can start closing them while you get in the car, buckle up, etc. Very convenient.

14. JamesPolk

JamesPolk Member

Once our four kids are buckled in, I take my seat and close all open doors using the dedicated button near the sunglasses holder above the center console for the side and tailgate. By the time my seat belt is fastened and in Drive, all doors are closed and ready to go. We have Costco runs down to a science. The sliding doors and power tailgate have been a dream for this family of 6. No issues so far except for the occasional Ipad/Doll/Shoe blocking the door from closing which can ruin the whole process. I expect the falcon doors to be just as functional. Our sliding doors have never been an issue for us with Snow even with 8-10", Falcons are still an unknown on this. 60000 miles and countless opening/closing on the Town&Country and never had an issue with the power doors/tailgate, knock on wood. I don't see how parents do without out.

15. satheesh.net

satheesh.net Member

:biggrin:

16. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I'm not irritated about the rear hatch and I expect similar performance from falcons.

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Mod Note: some posts moved to snippiness. If you don't like the discussion, there's no reason to bring in negativity.

18. yesup

yesup Member

But don't you think it has something to do with the negativity of the title of this thread?

19. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

I find it funny how much debate there is about these doors when everyone is yet to use them and experience living with them in real life.

I saw a good bumper sticker once, I think it was directed at religious people but works here too. It read:

Militant agnostic. I don't know, and you don't either!

20. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

I saw the video and thought, "man, that was fast!" My wife saw the video and said, "cool!"

I'll take mine without the final tap... you know, the production version.

But you know who the doors will really irritate? Ford, VW, BMW, GM, Volvo, Porsche, Chrysler, etc., etc.

-CB