Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Falcon Wing doors start to irritate you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly, how many negative threads about the falcon wing doors do we have? I like to discuss the falcon wing doors but I do not like to start a conversation with the
assumption that they irritate. People who do not like the falcon wing doors does not need to buy the Model X, my guess is also that most people who do not like them have not reserved a Model X.

Exactly. Elon and the team sure are smart enough to know all the "negatives" these people are talking about. So you think they decided to do it just to irratate people? Maybe so but only to irratate those who could only drive something else.

Does anyone know how loud the latches are on the falcon doors? The door locks/latches (and trunk) on the Model S always wake a sleeping child. We don't have this problem in our Mercedes...

Also, I presume they will close all the way by themselves, unlike in the video where the driver had to manually push it shut right at the end of the closing cycle. Please please please, soft close doors all around this time!!!

-m

I could see Falcon Wings being annoying in winter weather. When it's snowing and windy, you generally get into the car as quick as possible. Leaving an entire back section exposed seems less than ideal. But maybe it is possible to ingress without it lifting up so much.

I could see Falcon Wings being annoying in winter weather. When it's snowing and windy, you generally get into the car as quick as possible. Leaving an entire back section exposed seems less than ideal. But maybe it is possible to ingress without it lifting up so much.
6-10 seconds up and down doesn't seem too bad to me and the doors should provide some shelter when they're open. You can always pre-heat the cabin using the app 15 minutes before you need to get in. Also, if the FWDs have their own heating elements, they could be kept free from snow build-up just by leaving the doors warm. I'm hoping this is one of the features of the Winter package or maybe just built in as a base feature. We'll know soon enough.

Waiting at the Supercharger takes a lot longer. I think 5 seconds is good. The Model S takes time to start up and I usually have to press the drive lever a couple of times to move the vehicle. The speed of the doors is perfect for those who hear the beep and then check that hands and arms are inside the cabin. This action would be similar to those who have enjoyed the seven seat Model S, and close the hatch with passengers in the two rear seats.

I think it is wonderful that Elon and company have included electrically opening and closing front doors. That is appreciated when only the driver uses the vehicle the majority of the time and wants the fun and ease of having the doors open/close and won't be using the Falcon Wing doors for one or two passenger travel.

I would assume they would behave in a similar manner to the power liftgate on Model S (push the button for powered operation, but still able to operate manually).

The only real unknown now is the weather question...but I guess we'll answer that one in a few months.