TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will first V3 Supercharger be in California? UPDATE: looks like Fremont

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by ecarfan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Tesla to activate first ultra-fast Supercharger V3.0 this Wednesday

Elon has not said where the first V3 Supercharger will be, only that it will be operational on Wednesday March 6. My guess is that it will be in either the SF Bay Area or LA.

Will the charging pedestals look different in some way to indicate their higher power? I don’t know.

Speculate...

2. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Maybe San Ramon where they were just putting had chargers in and replaced them with covered chargers.

3. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare Mr. PlugShare

I was on the point of posting an exact same thread. I would seriously be delighted to see it anywhere other than Cali, because, honestly, you guys get everything Tesla first, though it makes some sense.

4. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

If I had to guess I’d say it would be at Hawthorne.

5. IslandCityEV

IslandCityEV Member

Maybe they will just put it right in Fremont where they are ha ha

6. McManX

McManX Member

Seems likely it will be near LA design studio ... "here is new supercharger ... {few days later} here is a new car that can use its full potential"

Also bet it will be demonstrated with a 2020 roadster.

• Like x 1
  7. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

It'll be in Harris Ranch, right next to the battery swap station. ;)

• Funny x 9
  8. jboy210

Maybe inside. You can only look through the dusty window while you charge at the "slow" 150 KW.

9. byeLT4

byeLT4 Member

I'm 100% sure it'll be in San Antonio, Texas! /s

• Funny x 2
  10. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

They have a 150kW Supercharger at Harris ranch?

11. jboy210

Darn. I meant to say 350 KW.

12. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Whaaat? Where are they located? Is the blink ones?

13. jboy210

Follow the thread back. I was building off ohmman's comment about the 350 KW charger being at Harris Ranch battery swap building.

Just having some fun speculating.

14. Darksoldier360

Sure be nice if they release a ccs adapter at the same time so we can use the electrify America 150kw and 350kw chargers in Livermore and elsewhere. I suspect a v3 charger at Harris, Kettleman, Baker, someplace very busy and very Roadtrip.

• Like x 2
  15. jboy210

Dumb question. Can our current cars handle a V3 charger? Or would they need a hardware upgrade?

16. mblakele

mblakele pre-jackpot member

I wouldn't call that a dumb question. But we'll probably have to wait until Wednesday for a reliable answer.

• Like x 1
  17. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Maybe at the Kettleman 40 stall Supercharger with large solar and coffee shop.

18. McManX

McManX Member

Maybe .... SURPRISE... all SuperChargers built starting with kettleman city are V3 with speed increase to 350 available now OTA

19. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Reddit thread: First public Tesla V3.0 Supercharger Station goes live Wed 8pm : teslamotors
    • The liquid cooled cables will actually be much thinner than the current SC cables, the coolant pump is located in the base of the white SC stall where the current cable connects and is hung up (v3 can retrofit into existing v2 chargers), and while the cabinets can support 250kW max (so I suppose it would be possible to upgrade to 250kW in the future), the individual chargers will be max 200kW.
    • PV and Power Pack integration is a part of the design spec, but no required.
    • 40% better throughput performance compared to v2 per site
    • Thermal Foldback improvements over v2
    • v3 cabinets get 5 power stages at 70kW output per power stage for 350kW AC -> DC per v3 cabinet
    • v3 cabinet also houses 2x DC-DC modules per post yielding 100kWx2 for the
      200kW delivered per post
    • Any extra power (assuming the extra 50kW the cabinets can produce versus what the chargers are delivering if the cabinet is maxed, or if only partially maxed, any extra power) can be shared across cabinets. Since multiple cabinets will be at each site, this lessens if not removes the v2 "shared" power with linked chargers
    • Site master controller is 4G LTE for communication of all diagnostics (as well as the verify car and billing of power consumed) so better knowledge when a site has a problem - leading to more proactive fixing of sites with broken/mafunctioning chargers
    • The cost reduction will come from higher power conversion efficiency (96% for v3 versus 92% for v2), less harmonics, and no overvoltage sensitivity (though the cabinets are larger and heavier than v2), ultimately leading to an approximate 20% more customers served per dollar spent on power
    • Overall AC input is 438kVA, 526A
      • Can link up to 7 v3 cabinets per bus (or a block), which can also link to one Power Pack
      • Cabinets are on a shared DC radial configured bus of 880-1000
      • This is then pushed out to the chargers (posts) and DC 180-500v, 250kW max

• Informative x 11
  20. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

Well it looks like it's not going to be in California. None of the known under construction sites will be ready to go online by Wednesday. In addition, there's this article mentioning Washington state as being first.

Tesla Supercharger V3.0 will be 200 kW and liquid-cooled, says source

But just to stay on topic, i suspect the first v3 SChrgr in California will be closer to southern Ca, perhaps LA area.