Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will former Prius drivers drive more aggressively in a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of modern society's worst monsters are those that get out into the left lane and pace themselves alongside the big trucks, making a rolling roadblock.

Some folk like to believe that everybody is basically good and always give them the benefit of the doubt when they have bad manners on roads. But ... If you ride a motorcycle or bicycle on public roads you know there are a portion of Volunteer Traffic Cops who are willing to apply the death penalty on those who break the law in their eyes.

Recent news is a "I'll drive as slow as I want, and stop others from speeding" sentencing. A guy who wants to be a Traffic Cop tried to kill 2 people on a motorcycle for speeding. He was sentenced this week to 15 years in prison for the attempt as a message.

Texas man who ran bikers off road sentenced to 15 years in prison

Watch the video. He is holds up traffic, then rams the motorcycle who tries to pass.

I'm surprised at the sentence honestly. Normally running into people, even with ill intent is seldom punished. We call them accidents.

I am not convinced those in this thread who advocate their personal enforcement of fast lane speed limits aren't any different than that ahole. Too many years on bikes, seen too many of them. Oddly the Faux Speed Police are often the same folk who run over bicycles for being on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
People ASSUME aggressive driving means speeding. It does not. It means you are willing to enforce your will onto others with your massive chunk of metal because you feel safe from reprisal. Vehicle speed has absolutely nothing to do with aggression.

The Prius who pulls into the fast lane to block others is not speeding. They are driving aggressively though.

Reactions: JeffK
People ASSUME aggressive driving means speeding. It does not. It means you are willing to enforce your will onto others with your massive chunk of metal because you feel safe from reprisal. Vehicle speed has absolutely nothing to do with aggression.

I think the ones who perform rolling roadblocks as Deputy Traffic Officers fall more into the category of PASSIVE-aggression, but yes....they are missing the irony of their actions. The ones "speeding" are less likely to cause an accident if you'd stay in your designated lane.

Physics and such.

Reactions: McRat and EinSV
A lot of discussion here on the speed limit. Just FYI, the posted limit along most of the wider boulevards here in South OC is 50 or 55. The drivers in question are often going 35. I'm not asking them to become speed demons, but simply drive the posted limit, and for those that are in a bit more of a hurry, move over to the right lane. I don't think it's asking too much. Also on that note, one of my biggest pet peeves is when you have left lane squatters, you signal to pass them on the right (I know, somewhat of a no-no), and they suddenly realize (or want to cruelly block you) and move over to the right lane, forcing you to either slow down abruptly and/or change lanes, making YOU look like the DB to everyone else. </rant>

South OC has a good number of older drivers, and there are also people who are looking for something. Some of the older drivers do not even drive on freeways. In both cases, I'm more comfortable with them driving at a speed they feel safe driving at rather than faster than they are comfortable with. But, there is something to be said for the older drivers who are struggling to drive at 50mph or people who do not do their homework prior to locating an address. Not an ideal situation, and hopefully semi-autonomy comes soon in cars they can afford.

South OC has a good number of older drivers, and there are also people who are looking for something. Some of the older drivers do not even drive on freeways. In both cases, I'm more comfortable with them driving at a speed they feel safe driving at rather than faster they are comfortable with.

Your observation is not innaccurate, but a lot of the slower drivers are not that old. Many are distracted by their cell phones, or forgive me for my stereotyping...appear to be somewhat recent immigrants and possibly new drivers. Others (the ones with cars festooned with liberal, activist bumper stickers), are trying to make a statement, and want to stick it to "the man" (i.e. anyone not driving an EV or hybrid, and don't have a Bernie! sticker on their car).

Your observation is not innaccurate, but a lot of the slower drivers are not that old. Many are distracted by their cell phones, or forgive me for my stereotyping...appear to be somewhat recent immigrants and possibly new drivers. Others (the ones with cars festooned with liberal, activist bumper stickers), are trying to make a statement, and want to stick it to "the man" (i.e. anyone not driving an EV or hybrid, and don't have a Bernie! sticker on their car).

Texting Soccer Moms (or others too) on surface streets is a whole different subject. They are way too plentiful and dangerous as sin on surface streets. I've seen many blow stoplights and stop signs, never looking up from their lap. Crazy.

(I refuse to say anything about the driving talent of the new Asian immigrants in Irvine) :D

EDIT - My daughter still has a Bernie sticker on her Volt. I cringe when I have to drive her car...

This is a joke right?
Prius around here are some of the fastest drivers around. They floor it and still get 40mpg. no wonder.

Fastest drivers around here are normally in a BMW or MB for some reason. Even full sized SUVs tend to drive 80mph+ when the roads are clear.

Our toll roads sort of negate any MPG advantage that economy cars have. Some are more than $1 a mile. We have Royal Roads. Shortcuts for the wealthy. Yeah, I use them. I drive electric because I like how they drive, not to save a dime.

Do you think they'll drive more aggressively once they get the Model 3?
I hope Tesla sells a LOT of Model 3s to Prius owners, AND they finally discover the skinny pedal on the right. :cool:
[Think Terence McKenna Voice]
You sound like you probably have never driven one. They kind of loan themselves to conservatory pedalistic opporatorium.
I used to think they were slow drivers too, until I bought one.
Are we talking about TRIGGERED Prius Drivers?
If So, YIKES . . .

You can take a Prius driver out of a Prius, but you can't take the Prius out of Prius driver. If that makes any sense.

Sounds nice, but I drive very differently in my Prius and my Roadster. I drive the Prius like a regular car. I drive my Roadster like the sports car it is.

And in reference to a different post, I didn't buy the Prius to appear green. I bought it because I hate gasoline and because I was intrigued by the technology that allows it (briefly, under ideal conditions) to shut the engine off and drive electric.

...I've come to the realization on how ugly the whole Toyota lineup is....not just the Prius. ...

You want to talk about ugly, the ugliest car I ever owned was also my favorite (before the Roadster) and the most fun I ever had driving a car (before the Roadster). That was my garden-pest-green Zap Xebra. Three wheels, ugly as can be, top speed on level ground of about 35 mph, and I loved it. I'd have kept it if it hadn't been so dreadfully underpowered.

Yevette_zpsq4twj0q7.jpg

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: EinSV and Lem89
I've found over the years, however I drive I attract like drivers. Whenever I'm impatient and annoyed, I attract tailgaters, people driving too slow and people cutting me off. When I'm calm and courteous, I attract drivers who are the same. Maybe I'm becoming old, but for me if someone aggressively tailgates or cuts me off, it's better to be magnanimous and let it go, move over and let the person be.

Going from a Leaf to a Model 3, I will appreciate the faster acceleration but it won't change how I drive.

Reactions: McRat and T34ME
I've found over the years, however I drive I attract like drivers. Whenever I'm impatient and annoyed, I attract tailgaters, people driving too slow and people cutting me off. When I'm calm and courteous, I attract drivers who are the same. Maybe I'm becoming old, but for me if someone aggressively tailgates or cuts me off, it's better to be magnanimous and let it go, move over and let the person be.

Going from a Leaf to a Model 3, I will appreciate the faster acceleration but it won't change how I drive.

I wholeheartedly agree, though it might your brain focusing on the things you want to focus on. Try it, look for yellow cars and you'll be amazed as to how many there are. It's just a selective thinking / vision thing :)

I wholeheartedly agree, though it might your brain focusing on the things you want to focus on. Try it, look for yellow cars and you'll be amazed as to how many there are. It's just a selective thinking / vision thing :)

"Recency bias".

When you get a new car, it seems you see the same car all around you on the road.

Or in this case, ever since I've started to care about Teslas, I see more and more of them.

Reactions: gabeincal
There's no longer an immediate incentive to stretch the tank - the only effect efficiency has is on the display screens and buried in a monthly bill, not visible day to day unless you go looking for it.

Oh but there is an immediate incentive, the incentive to do the right thing for the environment. At this time, in most locations, and in most situations, electricity is produced by fossil fuels - even Tesla Superchargers. That situation is rapidly changing in many States. But in the meantime, the immediate incentive is to reduce carbon emissions.

Sounds nice, but I drive very differently in my Prius and my Roadster. I drive the Prius like a regular car. I drive my Roadster like the sports car it is.

And in reference to a different post, I didn't buy the Prius to appear green. I bought it because I hate gasoline and because I was intrigued by the technology that allows it (briefly, under ideal conditions) to shut the engine off and drive electric.

You want to talk about ugly, the ugliest car I ever owned was also my favorite (before the Roadster) and the most fun I ever had driving a car (before the Roadster). That was my garden-pest-green Zap Xebra. Three wheels, ugly as can be, top speed on level ground of about 35 mph, and I loved it. I'd have kept it if it hadn't been so dreadfully underpowered.

Yevette_zpsq4twj0q7.jpg

There's one of these up by where I grew up in Nor Cal with eyelashes and lips painted on it. I kid you not. If you're familiar with the area, at the intersection of North El Monte Ave and Springer Rd. in Los Altos. Has anyone else seen it? :D

Reactions: daniel