Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will FSD be Transferable? - Elon: "we'll give it some thought"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
Just now, on the Q3 earnings call...

I'm kinda surprised it wasn't on his radar already. If he thought about it already he would have just shot it down.

chanse.JPG

I think the potential income achievable now from this could be huge. Current owners have had their cars a while, not too many have fsd (I suspect a lot will come down to what percentage do), by allowing this a chunk of people now purchase fsd and then buy a new tesla next time around. Win win.
maybe a limited time offer, maybe a more expensive FSD option which allows transfers, maybe limited to one other vehicle.
Personally I think long term subscription is a better long term option, although it’ll be one of the the most expensive subscriptions around. The other alternative is all cars are sold with FSD and therefore it won’t be necessary to transfer(this will happen at some point too).

if the subscription is a low monthly price, or you could dip in and out of it as and when you felt you wanted it (e.g. for road trips), why would anyone buy it outright?

As I understand it (I might be mistaken) but the price of FSD includes hardware upgrades, when available. So if there's a HW4 added to Model 3s in the future that FSD purchasers would get that for free? (or maybe a reduced cost, I dunno).

That being said a subscription model would make sense for people leasing/PCP, as otherwise you'd be dropping £6800+ on something you don't derive any financial benefit from at all.

Just doesn’t make sense as financial model right now for PCP/lease/company drivers, which is easily the majority of “owners”.

When the ability to trade on “exciting” and “amazing” wears off they’ll have to think again. And then really annoy everyone who paid ££ but didn’t get to keep it when they change cars after 2-4 years.

Peronally, I think it makes sence to sell licenses. My prediction is they will de-couple it from the car completely.

It encourages people to keep buying new hardware, as well as rewards early adopters.

if the subscription is a low monthly price, or you could dip in and out of it as and when you felt you wanted it (e.g. for road trips), why would anyone buy it outright?

Elon already stated it would be cheaper long term to just buy it. You can take whatever meaning you want from that, but the meaning i took is "we'll make renting more expensive than owning in the medium term".

Ability to dip in and out as you put it is purely up to Tesla to allow. If FSD is essintially a 12/24 month contract and after 24 months you pay more than if you just bought it........

Just doesn’t make sense as financial model right now for PCP/lease/company drivers, which is easily the majority of “owners”.

If you bought an FSD "license" on your account, to use on any compatible Tesla. It would be like buyibng an app for your contract phone... When you upgrade, you can install the app on your new phone.

FSD as a subscription seems to make a lot of sense, as it fits pretty much every market requirement. PCP/lease drivers can take a subscription out if they wish, and just having the ability to subscribe to the service would keep used car residuals high. I bet that FSD doesn't add a lot to the price of a used car at the moment, the depreciation on that element of the original car price is probably way higher than for the car itself.

I bet that FSD doesn't add a lot to the price of a used car at the moment

Cheapest M3 on autotrader 37k - no FSD

Auto Trader logo

Cheapest LR 45k - no FSD

Auto Trader logo

First LR advertising FSD 50k

Auto Trader logo

Cheapest performance 51.5k - No FSD

Auto Trader logo

Performance FSD 53k

Auto Trader logo

I mean ... small sample size ofc. But it looks to be commanding at least a 1.5k lead. The fact that 1 year old cars are selling at new prices is also pretty impressive. It also shows a lot of people didn't buy FSD - that are now selling their cars.

Would be insteresting to see the prices next year.

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1
So, from that it looks as if the value of FSD depreciates a lot more than the value of the car. Bit more than I was expecting, TBH. The cars seem to be losing about 10% to 12% of their purchase price in the first year (which seems far too low) and FSD is losing a bit over 65% in the first year

FSD added nothing at all to GFV when I was getting lease quotes, and no leasing company I spoke to treated it as anything but a straight cost addition to the loan value.

That might change if FSD beta really blows up into something amazing, we'll see.

The perceived value of FSD in the UK probably isn't very high amongst the general car buying public at the moment. It's somewhat limited here, so not being able to use features like summon, plus the limitations imposed by the combination of UK roads and legislation, means that FSD doesn't add a great deal over the top of standard autopilot. A lot of drivers probably won't use autopilot a lot (I've only used it a couple of dozen times in nearly a year), and the number that could really make use of the added features provided by FSD are probably pretty small.

Be interesting to know what percentage of UK drivers would place a high value on something like reliable FSD, over, say, reliable collision avoidance/situational awareness enhancement. I'd very much like to see better and more reliable driver aids, but I enjoy driving too much to really want FSD. I doubt FSD is going to just safely overtake slower traffic the way I might, with that neck-snapping acceleration that makes driving a Tesla so much fun.

Cheapest M3 on autotrader 37k - no FSD

Auto Trader logo

Cheapest LR 45k - no FSD

Auto Trader logo

First LR advertising FSD 50k

Auto Trader logo

Cheapest performance 51.5k - No FSD

Auto Trader logo

Performance FSD 53k

Auto Trader logo

I mean ... small sample size ofc. But it looks to be commanding at least a 1.5k lead. The fact that 1 year old cars are selling at new prices is also pretty impressive. It also shows a lot of people didn't buy FSD - that are now selling their cars.

Would be insteresting to see the prices next year.
I think the market will settle out once the car has been around for two or three years. We might well see lower-than-average depreciation though because of increasing demand for EVs.

My guess is that FSD will become much like dealer add-ons and high trim models - it doesn’t make a big difference to residual value, but it does make the car easier to sell.

I’m also interested to see how far Elon will carry on increasing the FSD prices. I think if he ever gets as high as £/$10k for FSD then sales will be minuscule.

And if they do go for a subscription model, I doubt you’ll be able to dip in and out on a monthly basis. I reckon they will make it really easy to subscribe, and either have a minimum 12 month term, or make you jump through hoops to cancel. Otherwise many folk will just subscribe for a month if they have a road trip planned.

Just my 2c. Which is all that it’s worth! ;)

Reactions: Durzel