Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will FSD ever be able to park in a home garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
Here's an FSD topic I've wondered about several times, but haven't seen discussed. FSDß nicely brings me home from whatever outing. Well, almost. It gets to the street right in front of my house, dusts off its electronic hands, and is all done. Why not turn into the driveway and enter the garage?

With HomeLink programmed, it has a very precise location for where home is. Turning into the driveway shouldn't be harder than turns it successfully makes onto small streets. The garage door opens automatically to clear the way, and if for some reason the garage door didn't work, it could see the obstruction and stop in the driveway. But assuming it opens properly, the car could ease its way in until the cameras and ultrasonics (for now) determine it is really home.

Or at least go into the driveway if it's too nervous about stuff in the garage.

Here's an FSD topic I've wondered about several times, but haven't seen discussed. FSDß nicely brings me home from whatever outing. Well, almost. It gets to the street right in front of my house, dusts off its electronic hands, and is all done. Why not turn into the driveway and enter the garage?

With HomeLink programmed, it has a very precise location for where home is. Turning into the driveway shouldn't be harder than turns it successfully makes onto small streets. The garage door opens automatically to clear the way, and if for some reason the garage door didn't work, it could see the obstruction and stop in the driveway. But assuming it opens properly, the car could ease its way in until the cameras and ultrasonics (for now) determine it is really home.

Or at least go into the driveway if it's too nervous about stuff in the garage.
Short answer is yes, but it will take time before that happens. FSD is still focusing on general driving (going down the street, making left and right turns, and navigating around various objects). Other features are being worked on as well, including Summon, Smart Summon, AutoPark, and combining the AP and FSD stacks into a single unified stack.

It'll get there, it'll just take time.

Reactions: VanFriscia
Well one reason is that Tesla thinks my house is on the other side of the street from where it actually is (obviously a map error). I imagine that pinpointing the exact driveway would be difficult in the general case (I realize that the car could be specifically "trained" for your own personal driveway, but that's not how I read the question, which seemed to be asking more about a general capability).

Second, I have a two car garage. How would it know what side to park on, and would it hug the side of the garage when the other car is not there to leave room for it?

I would be pleased as punch if regular old summon would pull my car into the garage, but it can't even manage that after 4.5 years. I am not holding my breath for FSD to be able to handle it.

Well one reason is that Tesla thinks my house is on the other side of the street from where it actually is (obviously a map error). I imagine that pinpointing the exact driveway would be difficult in the general case (I realize that the car could be specifically "trained" for your own personal driveway, but that's not how I read the question, which seemed to be asking more about a general capability).

Second, I have a two car garage. How would it know what side to park on, and would it hug the side of the garage when the other car is not there to leave room for it?

I would be pleased as punch if regular old summon would pull my car into the garage, but it can't even manage that after 4.5 years. I am not holding my breath for FSD to be able to handle it.
Actually, I think training the car where home is would be useful for other purposes too. For example, some folks who live on large acreage have had trouble with the Home exception to Sentry mode. The exception uses the address to define the geofence. On large property, that address might be far enough from one's garage for the Home exception to not work.

And training the car with "Home is here" would also address the two-car garage problem.

HomeLink in effect has "Home is here" training when you position the car just outside the garage and train it to your clicker. But that's not apparently shared with anything else.

I think some cars now have a mode where you can record several occasions of parking in your garage to train it, and it uses those to mimic your behavior. I would love something like that for my garage, which has a big support column in the middle of it I have to steer around.

Do Metal Buildings interfere with the signal for Homelink?
I have a pretty conventional wood-framed house, so I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't think a metal building would be a problem. The geofence is trained with the car parked outside of the garage. And it both opens and closes the door when the car is outdoors. So I wouldn't think the metal building would be a problem. Well, unless it was like an apartment building and you had a private garage within the larger enclosed garage, or something like that. As long as there's a reliable GPS signal, you ought to be okay.

I have a pretty conventional wood-framed house, so I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't think a metal building would be a problem. The geofence is trained with the car parked outside of the garage. And it both opens and closes the door when the car is outdoors. So I wouldn't think the metal building would be a problem. Well, unless it was like an apartment building and you had a private garage within the larger enclosed garage, or something like that. As long as there's a reliable GPS signal, you ought to be okay.
I think the concern is that the metal garage would block the garage door opener signals to the unit inside the garage. That is certainly possible if the metal building formed an effective Faraday cage, but I suspect that is not the case. Plus, the garage door opener itself wouldn't work. It has nothing to do with Homelink per se, or the Tesla.