Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Gen3 Destination Chargers still work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

slcasner

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2011
Sunnyvale, CA
An electrek article tells that Tesla is adding automatic payment with WiFi-enabled Wall Connectors to facilitate apartment charging. That would generally be a good thing. But is the charger going to do authentication with the car in the same manner as Superchargers in order to know who should pay? If so, that would mean Roadsters would again be shut out, as happened initially with Gen2 Destination Chargers, even if we would be willing to pay. Even if there is an alternative authentication procedure using the phone app, we can't use that either.

I've been relying on the Destination Charger network as I go on road trips, but there may not be enough information shown to tell whether or not a particular location is compatible with Roadsters.

Reactions: Sbax
I would hope this can be controlled by whomever installs the charger...can set it to authenticate (for apartments, etc) or free for businesses that want it set that way...but either way, I don't think it will change the old DCs installed. Perhaps it will be able to tell if a roadster is attempting to charge and that can be set to "free" but non-Tesla would have to pay... :)

Reactions: DeedWest and ai4px
I'm sure it will be configurable by the owner.

As for the suggestion that non-tesla pay and tesla free, the whole billing scheme depends on the car sending its VIN number over the J1772 plug to the HPWC. No non-tesla car is going to do that. the best you could do is to block cars that don't transmit their VIN.

I'm sure it will be configurable by the owner.
I expect so, in the same manner that property owners can choose for Gen2 DCs to allow non-Tesla vehicles or not.
As for the suggestion that non-tesla pay and tesla free, the whole billing scheme depends on the car sending its VIN number over the J1772 plug to the HPWC. No non-tesla car is going to do that. the best you could do is to block cars that don't transmit their VIN.
Is there any accessible documentation of how this negotiation works?