Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Homelink work with non-wifi/MyQ garage door openers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I'm taking delivery of my new Model Y on Saturday and I'm excited to join this community! I did a bit of researching about Homelink and couldn't find a definitive answer so I just want to confirm a couple of questions.
  1. Do Model Y 2021 models come with HomeLink?
  2. If I want to be able to open my garage door using the Model Y and not my regular garage remote, do I absolutely need Homelink?
  3. I have a Chamberlain LiftMaster (3280CM) garage opener that does NOT come with MyQ and has no WiFi capabilities. Will HomeLink work with a regular old garage door opener that uses a regular remote?
Thanks everyone!

1. I can tell you definitively that no model 3 comes with homelink. I am fairly certain that extends to model Ys as well (that no new model y comes with homelink standard / pre installed on delivery).

2. Correct, if you want to be able to open your garage door, using your vehicle (and not your regular garage door remote), you will need homelink.

3, MyQ / Wifi etc is not required for the homelink module to work. It is basically a "garage door clicker" that gets integrated into the car. It will work with almost all regular garage door types that have a clicker, including gates, and ones with rolling codes. Wifi / myQ etc not required or even used in this instance.

There have been a few garage door openers people report having issues with, but I am fairly certain that chamberlain / liftmaster ones are fine. Thats what I have, in fact, although mine is a myQ opener, homelink does not use any of that functionality. Its the same as other vehicles that may have had a rear view mirror with 1-3 buttons on the bottom that can control the garage door opener. Same thing (I think its exactly the same, in fact, as I am fairly certain those are also homelink).

@jjrandorin thanks so much for your quick and thorough reply! Glad it'll work with my garage opener. I guess I'll have to purchase HomeLink then!

I wish there was a way to include it into my financing of the car, but I'll ask and see what they say.

I dont think they can (or they couldnt last time I read about it) which is a huge miss on tesla's part. I get why they charge for it now (licensing, basically) but not having it be a click box on the online order for " + Homelink = $325" is silly.

They make you purchase it after you take possession of the vehicle, and normally mobile service can install it for you. By the time they roll a mobile tech to your location and pay for them to get there, and do the work, they likely are not making any money on doing it. They likely just are not losing a bunch of money putting it in cars where people dont want it... but its still a big miss not to have it orderable from the factory that way, even if there is an extra charge for it.

I dont think they can (or they couldnt last time I read about it) which is a huge miss on tesla's part. I get why they charge for it now (licensing, basically) but not having it be a click box on the online order for " + Homelink = $325" is silly.

They make you purchase it after you take possession of the vehicle, and normally mobile service can install it for you. By the time they roll a mobile tech to your location and pay for them to get there, and do the work, they likely are not making any money on doing it. They likely just are not losing a bunch of money putting it in cars where people dont want it... but its still a big miss not to have it orderable from the factory that way, even if there is an extra charge for it.
Huge miss for sure. Boggles my mind why it's not an option during purchase like you're saying.

I just got off the phone with a SA and confirmed that it can't be rolled into financing. Like you said, it's post delivery because they need a VIN and a mobile service will come out to install it once it has shipped to your location.

Right--it's the world's most expensive replacement garage door opener clicker.

I doubt its more expensive than the same version of said things in other vehicles, but in those vehicles its "included" which basically just means its packaged into the price. Tesla was lowering prices, and this is one of the things that got optioned out. They should have left every vehicle $325 more expensive and left it "included".

Yes, it’s too expensive for $10 in parts, but the integration with NAV almost makes it worth it. I have it set to open as I roll up the driveway from being away. It gives you a few seconds to cancel if you don’t want door to cycle (it could already be open or maybe sneaking a gift home). Anyway, I would have a hard time going back to separate clicker. I do not use cycle on leaving, so I just click on pop-up to close as I leave.

I doubt its more expensive than the same version of said things in other vehicles, but in those vehicles its "included" which basically just means its packaged into the price. Tesla was lowering prices, and this is one of the things that got optioned out. They should have left every vehicle $325 more expensive and left it "included".

@jjrandorin well, compared to a generic clicker from your local hardware store.....

Yes, it’s too expensive for $10 in parts, but the integration with NAV almost makes it worth it. I have it set to open as I roll up the driveway from being away. It gives you a few seconds to cancel if you don’t want door to cycle (it could already be open or maybe sneaking a gift home). Anyway, I would have a hard time going back to separate clicker. I do not use cycle on leaving, so I just click on pop-up to close as I leave.

@MDElectric I mean, it's not like it's an outlandish amount of money, but it's also not too hard to tuck your "free" pre-existing clicker into your car and press the button as you drive up or down the driveway.

@jjrandorin well, compared to a generic clicker from your local hardware store.....

@MDElectric I mean, it's not like it's an outlandish amount of money, but it's also not too hard to tuck your "free" pre-existing clicker into your car and press the button as you drive up or down the driveway.
A "generic clicker from a hardware store" is not built into any car, this one or any other. There are all sorts of things that some people think are outlandish and unnecessary but others like... like Tesla vehicles themselves for example. All sorts of people think that a junker car for 10k or less is fine, and "why in the world would anyone buy such an expensive car?!?", so lets not go down the road of "thats unnecessary".

Its a nice feature, some dont want it, but its nice. Tesla makes it harder to buy than it should be.

Did not notice the discussion going on here. So awesome. I think the Nav features put it over the edge for me in terms of wanting it. But since it's not included I may just try using the regular clicker tucked away for now and see how it goes. Though, I imagine having it open and close automatically based on your location is one of those things you didn't know you needed until you experience it.

Worth noting that most included openers won’t work if car is not on, so if you happen to leave car outside and someone breaks in, they won’t have free key to your home. That was real reason I wanted it integrated, like our other cars.
You mean leaving a regular clicker in the Tesla as a free key to the house for anyone who breaks into it? That's a great point.

Just increase the financing amount with $325 and pay it out-of-pocket?
Genius! I might have to look into this, thanks for the idea.

Hi All,

I'm taking delivery of my new Model Y on Saturday and I'm excited to join this community! I did a bit of researching about Homelink and couldn't find a definitive answer so I just want to confirm a couple of questions.
  1. Do Model Y 2021 models come with HomeLink?
  2. If I want to be able to open my garage door using the Model Y and not my regular garage remote, do I absolutely need Homelink?
  3. I have a Chamberlain LiftMaster (3280CM) garage opener that does NOT come with MyQ and has no WiFi capabilities. Will HomeLink work with a regular old garage door opener that uses a regular remote?
Thanks everyone!
If you have an MYQ compatible garage door opener and an IPHONE (or Android) you can order what is called a MYQ Homebridge (about $100 on Amazon) if you have a wifi signal in your garage. Then you can use the Apple Homekit to use your phone as a garage door opener. This is a far cheaper solution then the homelink add on from Tesla. I have it programmed so as long as I have my IPhone with me and turned on I can say "Hey Siri, Open the left (or right) garage door. I have not taken possession of my new MY as yet but when I read that it did not include homelink this is what I decided on.

I always wondered what the Homelink naysayers would say ifTesla increased the base price of the Model 3/Y by $325 and included Homelink as standard.
...or even raised it by $500, but didn't add Homelink

My current vehicle has a Homelink mirror and it's just a lot nicer and cleaner than having a garage door opener on the visor. Having said that though, I can get a replacement opener for less then $10 on ebay verses the $325, plus a service call, so I'm inclined to go with the remote instead. Plus I use it for a Driveway Gate which uses dipswitches, not a rolling code, so not too many smarts are needed

One question though: other than simply opening the gate/garage, and the security aspect, what other advantages does Homelink have? It sounds as if it can be aware of your position and pre-open the gate for me (how lazy is that - lol)?