Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will HW3 REALLY deliver FSD ? some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on the fence with FSD for $4K.

I wish Tesla could give us a reasonable roadmap of what to expect with FSD so we can determine if it's worth the money.

Not interested in being a beta tester for the city stuff, but some enhancements like reading of speed limit signs would be most welcome and if there are enough of these I don't mind paying the 4K.

I've also heard that HW3 is smoother than HW2 but I don't know if that is true.

At $4k, I wasnt on the fence. I wasnt even REMOTELY considering paying $4k for FSD when I have EAP. I had said to myself "if Elon does a firesale and offers FSD for $2k? Im in for SURE".

But what does he do instead? Lets us know FSD is going to $5k in a couple weeks AND temporarily lowers FSD to $3k for us with EAP.

a double mind whammy.

Now I think Im off of the fence and most likely, will order/upgrade. My reasons?
I have a 2017 with less than 5k miles total, and just got it 6 months ago. Plan to keep the car for years. FSD will get me everything going forward FSD related.

I've also heard that HW3 is smoother than HW2 but I don't know if that is true.

Yes, can confirm this is true since I got the retrofit HW2.5 > HW3 in early May. On the same software [2020.12.1] the difference in smoothness [accel/decel] on motorway was quite noticeable. Also does not overshoot/oscillate into the exit lane nearly so much when leaving.

In any case all of this performance will (fingers crossed) continue to improve at an increasing pace towards FSD and I suspect development for HW2.x has more or less stopped at this stage.

Therefore I strongly recommend the upgrade if surplus cash is floating around.