Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I be happy with Slacker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds as if you really DIDN'T try Pandora? With Pandora, you can create your own "station" that you can customize with the songs that you like. Pandora will then "suggest" other songs that are similar to your likes and you can thumb up them or thumb down them. Apparently, you aren't aware of this feature?

I was using it to stream via BT when in the shower and driving in the car, there is no option to thumbs up/down in those situations as my phone is inaccessible. If Pandora depends on that to function correctly then it's not something that would fit my needs. I don’t actively listen to music in any other situations, as mentioned in my first post.

FYI I tried Slacker for a couple days in the same context and ran into the same issue. It would play a few songs I liked then it would start to drift into vey different music that I had no interest in.

I prefer Pandora but I like Slacker too.

Make several Favorite Stations with existing stations and by search for your favorite artist.

After running those for a while hitting thumbs up on tunes you like, then choose the "Favorites Station" and it will pick tunes from all your stations.

I signed for the cheapest plan. It's handy have everything (your stations) on their server. When I use my iPhone in another car I can listen to the same stations.

It's also come in handy. If I get a loaner I just login and I'm up with all my stations. Just replace my 3 with X and up instantly all up with all my stations.

I don't like FM because of the ads. They always seem to be in a 10 minute block of ads when I want to listen. That's why I've enjoyed SiriusXM.

I don't really want to have to pick songs. Do they have preconfigured stations? Typically on Sirius I listen to PopRocks 99% of the time and occasionally I'll listen to The Blend. I'm pretty much stuck in my genre of 90s/early 2K alt rock type music, with an occasional new song that has a similar sound, so these two stations do well by me. I'd like to find something on Slacker that is similar and just leave it. I'm in the car maybe 10 minutes a day and in the shower for maybe 5, so repeating songs don't bother me.

I tried Pandora a few years ago and didn't care for it. They had a lot of weird songs from Artists I'd never heard of and a lot of strange acoustic/live versions of the songs I had heard. That's not what I'm looking for. I'm basically looking for radio without commercials.
IMHO it's pretty close to radio w/o commercials. There are repeat songs but I find it pretty similar to listing to a single over the air radio station w/o the commercials.

I tend to listen to "80s, 90s, & Today". It covers most of the family. It doesn't go very deep at all hence the repeats.

I find it acceptable. Not fantastic, but I'm not a music person. I though XM was pretty repetitive too, but good for sports & talk parsonalities if that's your thing. I ditched them over their business practices (hard to cancel, offer discounts and renew at much higher rates, etc) that became a time sink.

You can setup a trial online and give it a shot.

IMHO it's pretty close to radio w/o commercials. There are repeat songs but I find it pretty similar to listing to a single over the air radio station w/o the commercials.

I tend to listen to "80s, 90s, & Today". It covers most of the family. It doesn't go very deep at all hence the repeats.

I find it acceptable. Not fantastic, but I'm not a music person. I though XM was pretty repetitive too, but good for sports & talk parsonalities if that's your thing. I ditched them over their business practices (hard to cancel, offer discounts and renew at much higher rates, etc) that became a time sink.

You can setup a trial online and give it a shot.

With a category as broad as "80s, 90s, & Today" you would think there wouldn't be any repeats. There is a huge breadth of material to draw from in those 4 decades..

BTW.. shouldn't it be "80s, 90s, 00's, & Today"?

I subscribed to Slacker for a while, and I believe the library was a bit deeper, and you can listen to full albums. I stopped subscribing to Slacker months ago. I just recently took a road trip, and we started hearing the same songs after a few hours, which was frustrating. The library with Tesla account doesn't appear to be deep unless you thumbs down something then you continually get new songs from that Artist. I wish I could tell Slacker I can't stand Morrisey, The Smiths, and Elvis Costello but I keep getting new songs from them.

Initially, I was thinking that selecting thumbs up on a song was like every other music service, more songs from that artist and more songs like that artist. No, that's not how it works. Just means that song is played more often and I can't get rid of my thumbs up unless I thumbs down the song.

I am subscribed to their premium service. You can listen to full albums, it will play songs on repeat, and you can create playlists where you can go back tracks as well as forwards. I also like the favourites channel which plays anything you thumbs up, listen to a lot and/or related songs, which for me is quite a mix.

With a category as broad as "80s, 90s, & Today" you would think there wouldn't be any repeats. There is a huge breadth of material to draw from in those 4 decades..

BTW.. shouldn't it be "80s, 90s, 00's, & Today"?
Guess they ran out of characters in the name? Or perhaps they skipped the ‘00 songs out of protest :)

I only notice the redundancy over very long trips or over multiple days.