Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I cope without Wi-Fi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where my drive is situated I can’t get a Wi-Fi signal at all from my house, I have looked at getting an extender but it seems like whatever the option is that will work would set me back a few hundred quid and quite frankly I would rather not spend it.

My question is will I suffer too much if my car doesn’t have a Wi-Fi signal for updates? As I understand I will be notified in the app when an update is due and I would be able to hotspot my phone to download it?

Will you need the Premium Connectivity subscription, in order to be able to warm the car from the APP (if you don't have WiFi at home)?

I don't know the answer, but that's £100+ a year (unless you were planning to buy that anyway, for its other benefits)

Will you need the Premium Connectivity subscription, in order to be able to warm the car from the APP (if you don't have WiFi at home)?

I don't know the answer, but that's £100+ a year (unless you were planning to buy that anyway, for its other benefits)
You don't need premium connectivity to pre-condition the car, regardless of whether it's connected to wi-fi or not

Reactions: WannabeOwner

Premium connectivity is not needed for remote app functions, apart from viewing the sentry cameras iirc.

If you have a charger where is it located and is there a 3-pin socket outside somewhere or can one be added to the charger wiring? If so then a cheapo pair of powerline adapters does the job - just pop the thing in a weatherproof case. You could even go silly and hang one out of an upstairs window wrapped in a couple of plastic bags for the ultimate heath-robinson solution...

If you have a charger where is it located and is there a 3-pin socket outside somewhere or can one be added to the charger wiring? If so then a cheapo pair of powerline adapters does the job - just pop the thing in a weatherproof case. You could even go silly and hang one out of an upstairs window wrapped in a couple of plastic bags for the ultimate heath-robinson solution...
I do have power out in the garage yes. Aren’t power line adaptors there to enable you to get an Ethernet socket out there, do they provide a Wi-Fi signal too?

Where my drive is situated I can’t get a Wi-Fi signal at all from my house, I have looked at getting an extender but it seems like whatever the option is that will work would set me back a few hundred quid and quite frankly I would rather not spend it.

My question is will I suffer too much if my car doesn’t have a Wi-Fi signal for updates? As I understand I will be notified in the app when an update is due and I would be able to hotspot my phone to download it?
Can you run a CAT5/6 cable from your router to somewhere near the car? I bought one of these for my garage. Vigor AP810 DrayTek Managed Wireless N Access Point with PoE & 5 Ethernet Ports 5053118043259 | eBay