Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I "erase" my first set of tires quickly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having driven an '05 Acura TL for 16 years and 197k miles, I can't help but think back to my younger days when I drove performance cars like a couple of BMW "M's" and, back in the day, a Z-28. (Yes, w-a-y back.) And that leads me to wonder how long the stock tires will last? Will I merrily drive everywhere like an SCCA road race?

After having driven an '05 Acura TL for 16 years and 197k miles, I can't help but think back to my younger days when I drove performance cars like a couple of BMW "M's" and, back in the day, a Z-28. (Yes, w-a-y back.) And that leads me to wonder how long the stock tires will last? Will I merrily drive everywhere like an SCCA road race?
Just stay out of Track Mode and/or Dyno Mode. 😁

I mean, if we're really measuring by months, I killed a set of tires about 3 weeks into my ownership at an AutoX by completely chunking the fronts.

Exactly. With this car it's not how many miles but how long they last.
In all seriousness, my point was that some people drive 1,000 miles a year (especially last year) and some do 20,000, so that really isn't telling us anything. 20K miles on a set of performance summer tires is pretty good, but may not be a year for some people.

Lots of people get 10-20k+ miles out of a set of the original MPS4's on a M3P. The new cars with Pirellis are less known.

I stopped using the accelerator as a go/no go switch after the first few months. That doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy smoking a motorhead in an ICE now and again… 🤪

I'm thinking my wear will be predominantly from lateral forces and not the 0-60 kind. The low center of gravity, nearly balanced front/rear weight distribution and grippy tires suggest that'll be where my fun will be. The last set of tires I put on my '69 Z28 were Michelin radials, so even back then I had transitioned to appreciating handling more than off the line G-forces. I will say that my '88 BMW M5 did bring back the joys of smoking motorheads, but that eventually subsided and I went back to digging the feeling of being on rails.

Someone recently asked me to characterize the Tesla and I said that it's a cross between an iPhone and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Coaster buffs will draw the "on rails" inference.

i had a hellcat charger that would go through front michelin pilot super sport in 15k miles and rear drag radials in 2,500 no track racing...all street.

the MPS4S tires that should be on any M3P are outstanding and should last about 15-20k miles of street use. 10-12K with hard street and a road course track visit or two, 5-8k with monthly track events. ANY tire can be a one track session tire...all in the driver and conditions, and goals.

the Hankook RS4 with 200 treadwear that i just put on in a 265 18 is the grippiest i have encountered and i only purchased them because the Mps4s where on backorder over a month. its an autocross tire i will use only on street for my daily. I expect 5-8k miles honestly, the all wheel drive nature of the m3p, even in track mode drift settings, does not necessarily eat tires.... its drifting on purpose that does. I installed swaybars and 265 race tires on my daily....i drive aggressively.

Last edited:
And that leads me to wonder how long the stock tires will last? Will I merrily drive everywhere like an SCCA road race?
see above, im a tire guy with experience in heavy and light sports cars, awd and rwd, truck, jeep, motorcycle, utv....
i care alot, because any vehicle is NOTHING without the appropriate tires, and some of the rubber on our roads should scare the crap out of you. The cheaply produced rubber is inadequate.