Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's human nature to become jaded over time. Now, the big question is how long will it take.
Basically what I came here to say. Eventually you'll tire of it. Despite being a particularly cool one, it's still just a car. Given the OP's history (no car older than 4 years), I'd guess maybe 5 to 6 years max before the urge to swap becomes too great, especially if EVs & Tesla flourish with more models, range, and features.

The best advice I can give for keeping the car awhile is not to settle for things. If you really want a P85, but settle for a S85, for example, in 3 years (or less, and some here have demonstrated) that'll be your excuse for getting into a new car.

For my last car I went all the way, getting it exactly the way I wanted despite some stupidly-priced options, and it's still in my garage 6 years later... and I'm a serial upgrader. It's a good source of material for my wife when she wants something new and fancy. In any case, I did the same for my S and hope to keep it just as long. Fingers crossed.

Given that you were in market for SUV to begin with, and it doesn't look like you'll be looking for anything in the coupe size for a while... a longer term Model S in the 85Kwh versions might be a best bet. The P85 is a great family car that has 0-60 in 4.0 seconds. The S60 is 6.5 seconds? Both drive as if smaller but park as if large (cause they are actually pretty big).

It basically depends on what made the M3 so fun. Was it because nimble? Was it because you could sling it around corners at speed? Was it the connection to the road, the sporty suspension? Basically that'll tell you which options you'd want on the Model S.

April delivery gives you time to consider the options and make the best decision.

Given that you were in market for SUV to begin with, and it doesn't look like you'll be looking for anything in the coupe size for a while... a longer term Model S in the 85Kwh versions might be a best bet. The P85 is a great family car that has 0-60 in 4.0 seconds. The S60 is 6.5 seconds? Both drive as if smaller but park as if large (cause they are actually pretty big).

It basically depends on what made the M3 so fun. Was it because nimble? Was it because you could sling it around corners at speed? Was it the connection to the road, the sporty suspension? Basically that'll tell you which options you'd want on the Model S.

April delivery gives you time to consider the options and make the best decision.

All good points, from everyone. If I remember back that far ;) I think what I loved about the M3 was (a) manual transmission made it fun to drive, (b) fast and nimble - able to get out of situations quickly, (c) it stood out, was different from the masses.

I am a single mom now, so as much as I would love to have a P85, it's not in my budget. The 60 will do just fine for my everyday driving needs (about 35 miles/day) and I never take road trips. The torque will make up for its 5.9s 0-60. It's hard to predict the future, but unless Tesla's battery technology makes huge strides over the next three years, or the interior appointments are drastically changed, I do see myself loving this car for a long time. I'm getting all of the options I really want/need so I won't feel like I'm settling.... and how could you, at $82k? This is by far my largest car purchase to date, but I am super excited about it. I'm putting my deposit down today! :)

All good points, from everyone. If I remember back that far ;) I think what I loved about the M3 was (a) manual transmission made it fun to drive, (b) fast and nimble - able to get out of situations quickly, (c) it stood out, was different from the masses.

I am a single mom now, so as much as I would love to have a P85, it's not in my budget. The 60 will do just fine for my everyday driving needs (about 35 miles/day) and I never take road trips. The torque will make up for its 5.9s 0-60. It's hard to predict the future, but unless Tesla's battery technology makes huge strides over the next three years, or the interior appointments are drastically changed, I do see myself loving this car for a long time. I'm getting all of the options I really want/need so I won't feel like I'm settling.... and how could you, at $82k? This is by far my largest car purchase to date, but I am super excited about it. I'm putting my deposit down today! :)

I only drove manuals before getting the Tesla. I was a little worried it wouldn't be as fun to drive, but that has turned out to be a non issue -- the Model S is a blast to drive. The precision of the accelerator pedal / regen give all (more, really) the control of a manual. The car responds instantly to inputs (great for getting out of situations quickly), and does exactly what you want it to do, which are exactly the qualities I liked about manual transmissions.

I only drove manuals before getting the Tesla. I was a little worried it wouldn't be as fun to drive, but that has turned out to be a non issue -- the Model S is a blast to drive. The precision of the accelerator pedal / regen give all (more, really) the control of a manual. The car responds instantly to inputs (great for getting out of situations quickly), and does exactly what you want it to do, which are exactly the qualities I liked about manual transmissions.

You really hit the nail on the head with this post. I am a manual guy through and through. I learned on a manual and never looked back...until the Model S popped on my radar. I was very unsure until the test drives came around and I realized that it was a non-issue for me.

What I really loved about a manual transmission was the amount of control that you have over the car at all times. With regen braking (feels like the engine braking of a manual), precise throttle control (the nature of EVs), and wicked acceleration (like you are always in the right gear) you will get the control and response of a manual without the need to row gears constantly.

It's the best of both worlds

Congrats Tslagirl, you will love it! I came from a 3-series BMW AWD and a manual Porsche Boxster, and neither hold a candle to the Model S driving experience. I would suggest considering the S85 over the 60, because once you start driving it, you might want just a little more ooomph, and you may start taking road trips, because they are free!

You really hit the nail on the head with this post. I am a manual guy through and through. I learned on a manual and never looked back...until the Model S popped on my radar. I was very unsure until the test drives came around and I realized that it was a non-issue for me.

What I really loved about a manual transmission was the amount of control that you have over the car at all times. With regen braking (feels like the engine braking of a manual), precise throttle control (the nature of EVs), and wicked acceleration (like you are always in the right gear) you will get the control and response of a manual without the need to row gears constantly.

It's the best of both worlds
Complete agree. Love shifting. Love it. I get in a rental automatic and get frustrated that it's not doing what I want. With the S, truthfully, I haven't missed it much. It can always do what I want because it's never shifting. Nothing is happening in the background I can't "see." I like that. While I'll admit it starts to lag up north of 80mph and could probably use a second gear for high speeds (particularly in Germany), I know Tesla's past experience with that hasn't been good and I can't blame them for eliminating that complexity.

That said, my manual transmission car is staying in the garage. When I start to miss it, I go back to drive it and realize just how much better the S is.

All I can do is echo what everyone has said. I am militantly pro-manual; always have been. I cannot stand driving automatics.

But, yeah, the Tesla is totally different. It really provides an exceptional relationship between control inputs and car behavior.

I got into my Boxster for the first time in a few weeks and my first thought was "why is this car so loud?" My second was "why is this car so slow?"

Interesting thread topic,

I generally get very bored with cars really quickly, my history

2005: First car, 2001 Mazda Tribute
2007: 2006 Chrysler 300C
2009: 2004 BMW 745i
2011: HSV Grange (like a Chevrolet Caprice but with a 6.2L LS3 V8)
Jan 2012: '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8
Sep 2012: '12 Chrysler 300 C Luxury (8spd V6)
Mar 2013: '13 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (6.4L w/5SpdAuto)
Aug 2013: '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (6.4L w/8SpdAuto) (Sold in Dec2013),

Now renting a Subaru Liberty here in Canberra Australia while I'm waiting to pickup my Model S P85 (see sig), going straight from LAX to pick it up, the day I get to USA.

For the OP's consideration-
I traded a 535 and my wife traded her 535xi wagon. Neither of us has looked back. There simply is no comparison. I do programming tools for fun and did an MSD80/81 tool for our 535s. Even with 90 more ft-lbs of torque from 1700 through about 4300 rpm, the 535s feel like a sled in comparison to my wife's S85 (and do not expect your 60 to be much slower than the S85 given the drag times results :) ).
You will find that you come to hate the head flopping fore/aft every time an ICE has to shift.
You will realize ICE actually stink. Yep, they smell funny.
ICE are slow to get oil temp so you really have to baby them out of the garage (Teslas allow daily garage launches if you are so inclined).
Your MS brakes will amaze you. I've driven cars at twice the price that do not stop as well.
Lastly, you will continually scratch your head and wonder how someone could build a car that was quite like a Bentley, has the interior space of a mini-van and accelerates like a Corvette all while not using gas.

I think you will be happy.

Driving an MS is boring, definitely, whether at 20 mph or 120 its pretty much the same feeling, just the timing is different. A well-kept Corvair was on the same order: perfectly balanced, you had to really misbehave before driving became interesting. Felt like if you drove it off a cliff it would definitely land on its feet.

Like when the NYC Subway came out with the new trains way back when: passengers looked at each other dumbfounded. Air ride, silent, an unbelievable quantum leap in travel technology. But in a couple weeks time they were bored and back to reading their paper. If an old train pulled into the station they would visibly cringe as they entered the car.
--

All I can do is echo what everyone has said. I am militantly pro-manual; always have been. I cannot stand driving automatics.
But, yeah, the Tesla is totally different. It really provides an exceptional relationship between control inputs and car behavior.
I got into my Boxster for the first time in a few weeks and my first thought was "why is this car so loud?" My second was "why is this car so slow?"

Exactly. I have owned many manual transmission cars, including Porsches, and always preferred them to conventional automatic transmissions. But with the Model S I don't think of it as having an automatic transmission and not just because it obviously doesn't have one but because the car responds instantly to my inputs.

I prefer driving the Model S to my current Porsche with PDK.

What would Nikola drive? Did he ever?

81AZCESJmKL._SL1500_.jpg