Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I get FSD with MCU1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

Thank you all for the great information.

I have attached two photos which show the exact configuration of my car, as Dennis requested.

Can you guys let me know what I need to ask the service team when I go for my appointment on Nov 17th in order to:
-Achieve my goal of being as ready as possible for the FSD beta....so that if I get selected I can actually experience the stop light recognition and left turns and the works?

any point me getting MCU2 at this appointment?

I'll post ab this later but I am considering trading in my current MX 2017 for a New. 2021 Raven
+ I would gain close to 100 miles of range (mine is probably a realistic 260 or 270 max range in good weather. I feel like this would really help me out especially on long road trips just letting me get that extra distance to get me to the next charging station. Last time I took a long road trip, i would experience 'time leakage' where the system would estimate my arrival at 7pm....and I stopped at the superchargers that were recommended, and stayed for the time recommended, and made no extra stops....and over the course of a 6 hour trip I would lose an hour or something and then get there at 8pm
+ I want to swap out the driver seat anyway b/c i find it so uncomfortable with the bottom seat sidewalls pinching me
+ I feel like the autopilot and FSD will be better (sometimes on autopilot my car will randomly slam the brakes on on the highway and it scares me so bad every time, i react by the time ive lost only about 10-15mph, but still it is kinda dangerous and really scares me)
+ i feel like there will be just less little stuff that annoys me. (for example im going into service to have : -rattle fixed, wind noise from windows, screen, maybe
- would lose free supercharging and pay a net $30k (really this is $30k - $3800 i would pay for seat - $3500 for MCU2 so liek $23,000).

Basically I paid $70k (incl FSD and unlimited free Supercharging), my trade in estimate is $60k (As of 4 days ago).

All in all I think I'd rather spend the extra $23,000 to have total peace of mind and also to just have the best of the best technology. I feel like I'd even feel safer on the road b/c theres less chance something could go wrong with the vehicle.

Also a major factor is: the current 2017 MX I have has 2 accidents on the title ( minor, no body damage, the car was Tesla used Certified)..... so I feel like taking $60k for it now it better than keeping it and maybe not being able to sell it on the open market b/c of accidents on the title years down the road.

What are your thoughts on this decision?

Keep in mind I also want to buy a Model Y. I'm an investor and i consider it important to fully understand the product to the best degree I can, and the Model Y represents the latest product and the future of revenue growth.

any suggestions for how to make these two things happen in tandem? will tesla work with me and make a deal if I'm going to buy a Y also?

Thanks guys, you are the best!

@dmurphy

Attachments

• IMG_20201101_195048.jpg
    IMG_20201101_195048.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20201101_195028.jpg
    IMG_20201101_195028.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 121
...I have attached two photos which show the exact configuration of my car, as Dennis requested.

I think you already know about HW2.

What you might wonder is MCU. It's indicated in "Infotainment processor: NVIDIA Tegra": That's MCU1. MCU2 is "Intel Atom" instead.

...any point me getting MCU2 at this appointment?...

Some say you should not upgrade to MCU2 because FSD works with MCU1 too.

I myself would advise to do it for a smoother user experience.

If you do, I would wait for HW3 upgrading to do both at the same time rather than going back and forth twice.

...Keep in mind I also want to buy a Model Y. I'm an investor and i consider it important to fully understand the product to the best degree I can, and the Model Y represents the latest product and the future of revenue growth...

In general, investing in a car is not a good idea when it loses value as soon as you bought it especially if it's a high-tech item Tesla just like buying an iPhone 11 when I know that there would be an iPhone 12 sooner or later.

Tesla used to have HW2 then it came out HW2.5 and now it has HW3.0 and it is still developing HW4.0 right now.

I feel like the autopilot and FSD will be better (sometimes on autopilot my car will randomly slam the brakes on on the highway and it scares me so bad every time, i react by the time ive lost only about 10-15mph, but still it is kinda dangerous and really scares me)

Whether you have plain Autopilot or current FSD, I think there's no difference in phantom brakes. It's a very annoying issue and I doubt that it would be fixed any time soon.

Last edited:
Hey All,

So, only you can decide whether trading in makes sense... but a couple of thoughts;

#1 - you still have the “old” FSD computer. A free upgrade to HW3 is available - just have to ask Tesla. That won’t cost you a dime.

#2 - you do have the older MCU1 display computer. One tip to speed it up: clear your destination history. The list of prior addresses you’ve routed to, for whatever reason, is a big factor in performance on the display computer.

Otherwise, that’s really a well equipped Model X. It’s also a 100D, so yes - a Raven would be a little more efficient, but not “night and day”. Maybe an extra 30 miles of real world range?

Lots to think about for sure but in my mind ... getting your free HW3 upgrade and maybe the MCU2 upgrade for $2500 will give the car a nice “refresh” ... and moving to a Raven means you’d lose your supercharging and lifetime premium connectivity.

Plenty to think about but, if it were me, I’d get the computers updated and roll with it for a while. Your X is very nice indeed!

To my thinking - I’d update the computers on the X, and then if you want a Y as well, roll the rest of your cash towards that. Honestly - if those two minor accidents haven’t affected the price yet, it’s not going to suddenly crop up later.

Hey All,

I have attached two photos which show the exact configuration of my car, as Dennis requested.

Can you guys let me know what I need to ask the service team when I go for my appointment on Nov 17th in order to:
-Achieve my goal of being as ready as possible for the FSD beta....so that if I get selected I can actually experience the stop light recognition and left turns and the works?

any point me getting MCU2 at this appointment?

I'll post ab this later but I am considering trading in my current MX 2017 for a New. 2021 Raven
+ I would gain close to 100 miles of range (mine is probably a realistic 260 or 270 max range in good weather. I feel like this would really help me out especially on long road trips just letting me get that extra distance to get me to the next charging station. Last time I took a long road trip, i would experience 'time leakage' where the system would estimate my arrival at 7pm....and I stopped at the superchargers that were recommended, and stayed for the time recommended, and made no extra stops....and over the course of a 6 hour trip I would lose an hour or something and then get there at 8pm
+ I want to swap out the driver seat anyway b/c i find it so uncomfortable with the bottom seat sidewalls pinching me
+ I feel like the autopilot and FSD will be better (sometimes on autopilot my car will randomly slam the brakes on on the highway and it scares me so bad every time, i react by the time ive lost only about 10-15mph, but still it is kinda dangerous and really scares me)
+ i feel like there will be just less little stuff that annoys me. (for example im going into service to have : -rattle fixed, wind noise from windows, screen, maybe
- would lose free supercharging and pay a net $30k (really this is $30k - $3800 i would pay for seat - $3500 for MCU2 so liek $23,000).

Basically I paid $70k (incl FSD and unlimited free Supercharging), my trade in estimate is $60k (As of 4 days ago).

All in all I think I'd rather spend the extra $23,000 to have total peace of mind and also to just have the best of the best technology. I feel like I'd even feel safer on the road b/c theres less chance something could go wrong with the vehicle.

Also a major factor is: the current 2017 MX I have has 2 accidents on the title ( minor, no body damage, the car was Tesla used Certified)..... so I feel like taking $60k for it now it better than keeping it and maybe not being able to sell it on the open market b/c of accidents on the title years down the road.

What are your thoughts on this decision?

Keep in mind I also want to buy a Model Y. I'm an investor and i consider it important to fully understand the product to the best degree I can, and the Model Y represents the latest product and the future of revenue growth.

any suggestions for how to make these two things happen in tandem? will tesla work with me and make a deal if I'm going to buy a Y also?

Thanks guys, you are the best!

@dmurphy

I am exactly same boat as you are. I have a '17 MX with AP2 & MCU1. After some research in this forum, I decided to schedule MCU2 upgrade. I have mine scheduled for this week. When I was talking with the service enter person, they let me know that I will get Auto Pilot Computer (HW3) at no extra cost. So essentially same setup as a new MX (minus the Raven / more range). I have free unlimited connectivity included which I wont get on a new one. Car essentially drives like new so for me it made sense to upgrade the MCU2 & HW3.
Camera/radar are different on 2.0, though it isn't far different than the new one. Existing camera and radar is FSD capable so I am not sweating on it.

Reactions: Tam
Camera/radar are different on 2.0, though it isn't far different than the new one. Existing camera and radar is FSD capable so I am not sweating on it.

Yes, HW2.0 cameras and radar are FSD compatible.

I think the camera difference is RCCC VS RCCB filter that makes the video color look better for human eyes but otherwise, they are pretty much the same.

The radar difference is the range 525 Ft VS 558 Ft.

I don't think the 33 Ft difference would render HW2.0 radar unusable for FSD.

HW3 = AP2.5 and up hardware + MCU2 main display + FSD module. There is just a slight difference with the cameras and radar between AP2.0 and AP2.5 and up. But, the differences does not impact FSD capabilities. The FSD capabilities will work at a minimum with AP2.0 hardware + MCU1 main display + FSD module. Currently, an AP2.0 vehicle can be upgraded from MCU 1 to 2 at a cost to achieve the same software and FSD capabilities as the cars rolling off the lot now. I have AP2.0 + MCU1 + FSD and have all current FSD capabilities available. The FSD update that is being release to Early adopters will be available to all FSD capable vehicles as it is rolled out.
So that means a car with mcu 1 would recognize stop signs and lights?

Hey Solar 40, regarding your post (Nov 11, 21) where you attached an item from Tesla regarding camera replacement, can you post a link where your found that please.
The info can be found on Tesla website:

Lot's of info on the subject in this thread:

• Disagree
Reactions: af88
Thanks ABC2D. That works. I have a 2017 X with FSD and I am trying to determine a go forward gameplan to update the FSD and trying to understand why I am not getting any software updates. My version is stuck at 2020.48.37.8.
This is the MCU1/FSD thread, so I assume you have that combo.

Nobody with MCU1 has FSD Beta software yet. With or without the new cameras.

Probably won't ever happen.

sorry, just seeing this but yes as I understand it we have to upgrade to mcu2 then I think we have to wait for a email for the camera upgrade. I have a hdmi input so I really don’t care much about the infotainment but the fast boot up, responsiveness, updates and unlocking my fsd has really got me on the border of upgrading to mcu2. Beta still needs a few more improvements so I figure the end of this year if mcu 1 doesn’t drive me crazy first. Had the Emmc changed and it still freezes and reboot. Rear cam blacks out sometimes as well.