Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I get the car into my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a very narrow garage with walls on both sides. The garage door is only 225 cm. Inside the width is 245 cm. It might be possible to remove some plasterboard on one side. This will increase the width with apx 5-8 cm. The other wall is concrete.

Will it be possible to reverse a Tesla y into the garage and still be able to get out? (I don't wanna use summon).
I managed it with my current car which is 184 cm wide, but Tesla y is 192 cm (without mirrors), 8 cm wider.

Pull through the garage door, and then turn the wheel to move the car over so the folded passenger side mirror is almost touching the wall on that side to give you more room to enter / exit the car on the drivers side. This is more complicated than just pulling in strait but should give you more room to maneuver.

Try this with your current car to see how much extra room you get, so you can judge if it will give you enough room with the Model Y.

Keith

The model Y is widest over the rear wheels. You have a bit more room by the drivers door. If you fold in the mirrors and go slow you could probably fit. I would not use summon at all based on a handful of people who have had it smack into the garage opening when trying it.

You could always ask your local sales center to do an overnight test drive to try it out or maybe see if you can rent one for a day on Turo just to be absolutely sure.

I have a very narrow garage with walls on both sides. The garage door is only 225 cm. Inside the width is 245 cm. It might be possible to remove some plasterboard on one side. This will increase the width with apx 5-8 cm. The other wall is concrete.

Will it be possible to reverse a Tesla y into the garage and still be able to get out? (I don't wanna use summon).
I managed it with my current car which is 184 cm wide, but Tesla y is 192 cm (without mirrors), 8 cm wider.
I will give you my experience as I thought I had a tight garage too. First off, I had the Tesla Sales Advisor drive a MY to my house before I placed an order and did a garage test fit. Fit no problem, but was tight.

I just measured my garage opening and converted from in to cm to help you out. Between the rubber seals/flanges of the garage opening, there is a clearance of 233 cm. I do have an extra leeway of 2.5 cm on each side because of the rubber flanges. Won't damage the car if it touches the flanges. Just don't want to rub against the door trim. The first week, it was a bit nerve racking and a lot of beeps to get in. Now I am able to just "whip" right in. Have not made any scrapes or even touched a rubber flange. I have set the auto close mirrors for my location and it is nice for pulling in without worry. I do not back in.

Once inside my garage near the rear it is only 280.7 cm wide, but a jut-out near the driver's side gives another 25.4 cm (306 cm total). I am 1.83 m tall and 86 kg. No issues getting in and out of the driver's side because of that jut-out. However, the passenger side is quite tight. Wife can fit and the door edge usually taps the wall, but we normally back out before putting my daughter in her car seat behind the passenger seat because it's uncomfortable doing it in the garage.

It looks like your garage opening is 8 cm less than mine, so 4 cm on each side. You may not be able to "whip" into your garage, but it will definitely fit. Having 17.5 cm less on each side once parked is another issue. I'm trying to imagine 7 less inches in my garage and I think it would be very difficult getting out. Maybe out the rear hatch? Hahah.

On an aside, I also manually opened the rear lift gate to the desired height and held down the open/close button for a few seconds to set the height so it doesn't hit anything.

I hope this helps!

Door width 88 inches = 223cm.
Inside garage Wall to wall 108 inches = 274cm

I don't fold my mirrors as I use them to adjust the sides. In fact, I use them as reference. I back up in such a way that the right side mirror barely touches (~ 1 inch away) the rubber flange. This helps me have the perfect alignment inside. I also have lane marking using painters tape inside the garage. So, when backing up, I align the reverse camera guideline with those lane marking. I am 170cm 86kg and I get out of car without any issue. I see your garage is narrower, so you could get out after rolling down the windows at least.

1632368785268.png

Reactions: Driver08
According to this the vectorspace birdseye view is coming next month! I'm curious how well it will work compared to a traditional 360 view... I use the 360 view all the time in my other cars to pull into the garage, and at drive thrus, since I can see all 4 wheels in the view. The one I'm most curious about is how they are going to deal with no camera in the very front... That comes in superhandy in my Infiniti for example, because my front chin spoiler is lower than many curbs, so I use the front camera to stop short of the curb stops.

I still haven't tried summons or smart summons on my car yet... Did you have it set so you have to hold the button to move the car?
I did have press-and-hold-to-move enabled, but it was a liiiiitle too close to a curb for me to react in time when it quickly turned the front wheels an unexpected amount. I actually thought just the tire kissed the curb, but later noticed a small bit of rash on the wheel. I do still use the basic press-hold forward/backward summon to move the car sometimes, but currently smart summon is only something I use as a party trick if I want to show people in a parking lot with tons of extra space. :)

I did have press-and-hold-to-move enabled, but it was a liiiiitle too close to a curb for me to react in time when it quickly turned the front wheels an unexpected amount. I actually thought just the tire kissed the curb, but later noticed a small bit of rash on the wheel. I do still use the basic press-hold forward/backward summon to move the car sometimes, but currently smart summon is only something I use as a party trick if I want to show people in a parking lot with tons of extra space. :)
I was under the impression that summons only moves forwards/backwards without turning? (I thought that's what smart summons was for?)

I was under the impression that summons only moves forwards/backwards without turning? (I thought that's what smart summons was for?)
I used summon (not smart summon) to move the car in and out of my garage and it still turned the wheels to ensure it went in straight without hitting anything. Pretty cool. And made it easy when I just didn’t feel like lining it up after having stopped to take out my daughter. She liked to watch it too!