Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I keep unlimited supercharging after change the DMV registration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model X with non-transferable unlimited supercharging. I'm thinking give the car to my daughter to drive and change the DMV registration to her name. The car will still in my Tesla account and my daughter will just use my username and password to login on her Tesla app.
Does anyone know how Tesla determine if the car changes owner and void the unlimited supercharging? Do they track DMV registration information?

...Do they track DMV registration information?

I think that is standard for a car manufacturer, not just Tesla.

They need to know who are the current registered owners so they can do a recall, discontinue DC Fast Charge on salvage titles...

But that may take time. So as long as your daughter doesn't register with Tesla, she might enjoy the feature for a long time until the DMV records are transferred to Tesla and Tesla would hire someone to cross-check the data. Remember, Tesla is firing people now.

I have a Model X with non-transferable unlimited supercharging. I'm thinking give the car to my daughter to drive and change the DMV registration to her name. The car will still in my Tesla account and my daughter will just use my username and password to login on her Tesla app.
Does anyone know how Tesla determine if the car changes owner and void the unlimited supercharging? Do they track DMV registration information?
If you do not go in your profile and change the owner, nothing will be lost. Tesla does not have access to DMV information. If it is your only Tesla, you can just go in to your profile and choose change email address. Otherwise just give access in the app under security and she can create her own account to log in to the car.

Reactions: m5james

A better question is what year was your car mfgd?

If this was true they would not know when one of their cars was issued a salvage title.
I am a former employee on the collision repair side of the business. It is a requirement of all Tesla authorized repairers to notify the "unsupported vehicles" email address whenever a vehicle is written off. They also work closely with IAA and Copart which is where a majority of the black-listing happens. Beyond that some are found when new owners send in a branded title to prove ownership and gain app access.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash and ATPMSD
If you do not go in your profile and change the owner, nothing will be lost. Tesla does not have access to DMV information. If it is your only Tesla, you can just go in to your profile and choose change email address. Otherwise just give access in the app under security and she can create her own account to log in to the car.
How do they come up with the mailing list for recalls?……..Through DMV records

Reactions: MP3Mike
I’m in a similar situation. I’m purchasing my daughter’s 2019 MX Raven Standard Range (with lifetime free supercharging) when she takes delivery of her new LR MX hopefully by the end of the year. We plan to simply add myself and her mother to the driver list and leave it on her Tesla account. However, I will transfer title via CA DMV. Hopefully, that will preserve the free charging.

What did you find out? I’d thought one could transfer ownership to a family member without loss of non transferrable lifetime free supercharging, but I’m not quite sure.

There are many reasons not to co-own a car with one’s child, primarily because of liability should the car become involved in some sort of catastrophic accident. If the parent owns the car, they’re on the hook.