Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I lose Battery life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model 3 with240 battery size bought in March 22 2019 what type of battery I have ? Should I stop at 80 precent.At home I charge 30miles every hour but taking a long trip about 1400 miles and using Supper Charge all the way.Going to use around16 supercharge in 2days.I’m planning
to stop at 80 must of the time.Will that be hard on the battery?

First, don't be afraid to travel and don't be afraid of charging to 100%. That's what Tesla designed the car and battery to do.

When travelling, to reduce charge times, you want to be as low as possible when plugging in. And you only want to charge to over 80% when you absolutely have to. This is not to maintain the battery, it's because charging above 80% takes forever.
Use A Better Routeplanner to get an idea of what your charging should look like. It comes really close with the defaults. But don't assume that you have to follow it exactly. The car navigation will do an awesome job of keeping you safe. It will tell you to slow down if it feels that you aren't going to make it to the next charger. But it is very conservative.

When travelling, plan your biology stops around charging stops. It usually takes longer to eat than it does to charge. If you do them at different times, it makes for a long trip. I've done 500 mile trips where I only needed an additional 15 minutes for charging. The other charging stops were more focused at filling my belly.

Charge to 100% before leaving the house.

The issues with charging to 100% are ONLY around long term charging. Studies for other batteries have indicated a 1-2 percent degradation after staying completely charged to 100% ALL THE TIME for a year. Periodic charging to 100% is actually good, it allows the batteries to equalize and the computers to recalculate the range.

Reactions: ksb467 and CertLive
I have a model 3 with240 battery size bought in March 22 2019 what type of battery I have ? Should I stop at 80 precent.At home I charge 30miles every hour but taking a long trip about 1400 miles and using Supper Charge all the way.Going to use around16 supercharge in 2days.I’m planning

It’ll be fine. Remember not to plan Supercharging in the morning. Do it the night before when the battery is already warm whenever possible. Forget about the battery health - charge to a convenient level that will get you to the next stop with 10-15% margin according to the in-car predictions (they can be a little optimistic sometimes, and sometimes a bit pessimistic). And adjust the margin as necessary according to your experience, conditions, and to maintain a good level of zen.

The worst thing for the battery is the advance of time, which we can do nothing about. There is very little evidence so far that charging habits are strongly correlated with long-term battery capacity for Model 3.

As @ewoodrick mentions, use ABRP to plan out your trip. It'll give you the most efficient stopping/charging strategy, assuming you put in good inputs.

what type of battery I have ?

You have a battery composed of 2976 2170 (21mm x 70mm) Lithium-ion cells arranged in a 31p96s (31 parallel, 96 series) configuration. It has a usable capacity of ~54.5kWh per the EPA tests, when approximately new (just a few thousand miles on it). You will never see this much energy being drawn from it on the trip meter, because of "reasons." The maximum you're likely to see on the trip meter for a full 100% to 0% discharge is about 48kWh. But it's 54.5kWh usable capacity (that means, until the vehicle stops moving) when in good health.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin