Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I lose place in line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KMCC

Supporting Member
Jul 18, 2019
Ct
I ordered day 1 the second the cybertruck reservations opened I didn't know at the time which 1 I wanted so I went for the cheapest single motor Cybertruck and I see now that it's not gonna be produced

Does that mean I lose my place? Will I be able to keep my place by changing to a different cybertruck as soon as they are back up online

I am guessing there is no definitive answer to this but if there is I would love to know!

Thanks

Reactions: IdaX
Most likely, you won't lose your place and, most likely, if you get a higher trim level, you will get your truck sooner.
I recommend enquiring at a Tesla Store or calling Tesla (go to Tesla.com "find us" to get number for your local store).

I ordered day 1 the second the cybertruck reservations opened I didn't know at the time which 1 I wanted so I went for the cheapest single motor Cybertruck and I see now that it's not gonna be produced

Does that mean I lose my place? Will I be able to keep my place by changing to a different cybertruck as soon as they are back up online

I am guessing there is no definitive answer to this but if there is I would love to know!

Thanks
There is no “place” to lose.

Anyone who has ordered a Tesla before can tell you that reservations are all but meaningless.

There is no “place” to lose.

Anyone who has ordered a Tesla before can tell you that reservations are all but meaningless.
Saying "meaningless" is completely false. There certainly have been bins of types of orders (employees, employee families, current Tesla owners, early investors, high deposit payers, certain trim options, geographic proximity to Fremont CA, etc) who receive their cars before others. However, within any bin, earlier reservations have always been filled before later ones.
The bins have been based on expected tolerance to expected infant mortality issues, production plans, need to generate better margins early to sustain production, ability of Tesla to fix infant mortality issues, etc.
To those who understand manufacturing, business, and revolutionary technology, it all makes sense and is the reason Tesla has been able to do what nobody has done for over 100 years. Doing that is Tesla's mission.
We Tesla veterans have gone through this with each subsequent Tesla product release, starting with the Roadster, the Model S, the X, the 3, and the Y. The Cybertruck, and, undoubtedly, the new Roadster, will undoubtedly all be the same.
If you want an earlier model, you need to choose what is good for Tesla's mission but you'll still get it earlier with an earlier reservation. The good news is that, for most that did want something different, it has been worth the wait.
I suspect the Cybertruck will be the same.

I wouldn't do anything... If this is like the past, they will reach out to "upsale" you if they aren't producing the truck you ordered when they begin to roll out and your number comes up.

Anyone who isn't a Tesla employee, and risking their employment by talking, has no clue how these orders are going to roll out. I would say a line is meaningless if it isn't really a line. I guess a squiggle is still a line, but that bears more resemblance to anything we are going to see in a roll out than the shortest point between Factory and your driveway... Count on it.

SS

Reactions: SilverGS
Saying "meaningless" is completely false. There certainly have been bins of types of orders (employees, employee families, current Tesla owners, early investors, high deposit payers, certain trim options, geographic proximity to Fremont CA, etc) who receive their cars before others. However, within any bin, earlier reservations have always been filled before later ones.
The bins have been based on expected tolerance to expected infant mortality issues, production plans, need to generate better margins early to sustain production, ability of Tesla to fix infant mortality issues, etc.
To those who understand manufacturing, business, and revolutionary technology, it all makes sense and is the reason Tesla has been able to do what nobody has done for over 100 years. Doing that is Tesla's mission.
We Tesla veterans have gone through this with each subsequent Tesla product release, starting with the Roadster, the Model S, the X, the 3, and the Y. The Cybertruck, and, undoubtedly, the new Roadster, will undoubtedly all be the same.
If you want an earlier model, you need to choose what is good for Tesla's mission but you'll still get it earlier with an earlier reservation. The good news is that, for most that did want something different, it has been worth the wait.
I suspect the Cybertruck will be the same.
Hate to break it to you but none of those “bins” exist any longer outside of employees and the general public.

Hate to break it to you but none of those “bins” exist any longer outside of employees and the general public.
While I agree that early investors are kind of irrelevant today, as are current Tesla owners, however:
Actually,
high deposit payers, certain trim options, geographic proximity to Fremont CA
Still could apply today.
Although unlikely, there could be a "Signature" line of high deposit payers. There is likely to be a single trim option that will go through the production process first and it will be sold 1st. With the Model 3, it was the Long Range, RWD premium interior. They may also give priority to those closest to Austin (assuming that's where the CT will be made) where they can more easily fix infant-mortality issues and address them in the production line and before all service centers are up to speed on CT repairs.
It will be interesting to see if the pilot trim line has a large or small battery, given the short supply of batteries today. I can see them going with a small battery that will be good for all but towing and hauling since that will leave more batteries for 3's and Y's but I can also see them going with the big bruiser so that early towing reviews launch the CT way above the Lightning and R1T.
If one gets past a paranoid view that Tesla's out to get them, and look at Tesla's efforts to support their stated mission, there tends to be a lot of logic in pretty much everything they've done.

Reactions: KMCC
Based on my experience with pre production orders Of an S and a 3. When your place in line comes up you can buy whatever trim is available.
That is not my recollection.
The first Model S were the Signature 1000 series. About the only choice was colors (including Signature Red).
The first Model 3 were the Long Range RWD with premium interior with employees first, previous owners near Fremont next, followed by previous owners elsewhere.
I have a friend who was insistant to get a $35K Model 3. He waited almost 2 years even though he ordered on day 2 or 3.
Another friend was in line in right front of me (he started behind but I let him go before me at the last minute). He was also a previous owner and got his Model 3 two weeks before us. Given all of the other lines across the nation, it all made sense.

That is not my recollection.
The first Model S were the Signature 1000 series. About the only choice was colors (including Signature Red).
The first Model 3 were the Long Range RWD with premium interior with employees first, previous owners near Fremont next, followed by previous owners elsewhere.
I have a friend who was insistant to get a $35K Model 3. He waited almost 2 years even though he ordered on day 2 or 3.
Another friend was in line in right front of me (he started behind but I let him go before me at the last minute). He was also a previous owner and got his Model 3 two weeks before us. Given all of the other lines across the nation, it all made sense.
When I reserved my S late 2012 base model. Early 2014 When my order came up they gave me the choice of base or P85D. Reserved my 3 within a week of the release in 2016. When the configuration opened up for AWR cars early summer 2018 same day did a performance “stealth” without the 20” wheels/spoiler when it was an option. When my spot came up September 2018 tesla told me they weren’t building any P cars without the 20’s+larger brakes+spoiler (which was a lie) I switched to a LR AWD and got it the following week.

I had a buddy that after driving mine didn’t have a reservation and got a performance (with the 20’s) from Tesla within a month of me, his only choice was P and Red but he got one fairly quick with no reservation.

When I reserved my S late 2012 base model. Early 2014 When my order came up they gave me the choice of base or P85D. Reserved my 3 within a week of the release in 2016. When the configuration opened up for AWR cars early summer 2018 same day did a performance “stealth” without the 20” wheels/spoiler when it was an option. When my spot came up September 2018 tesla told me they weren’t building any P cars without the 20’s+larger brakes+spoiler (which was a lie) I switched to a LR AWD and got it the following week.

I had a buddy that after driving mine didn’t have a reservation and got a performance (with the 20’s) from Tesla within a month of me, his only choice was P and Red but he got one fairly quick with no reservation.
That sounds a lot like
certain trim options
issue with your selections and the order and availability that Tesla had them ready, if at all.
Remember that Tesla changes designs, options, and availability from the factory readily. They keep making their cars better overall, however, in the short-term, there's a lot of good and bad churn.
They likely did stop
building any P cars without the 20’s+larger brakes+spoiler
then, likely began again (possibly a break in a supplier logjam) by the time your buddy ordered his. They probably don't tell us everything but I don't think they lie as often as many believe.

Agree 100%. Tesla line is bogus, learnt the hard way with the 3.

Lol the line does result in some really fun threads in the ordering/waiting-room threads. We all changed our avatars to various squirrels since somehow that became the logical way to get a faster delivery.

But in reality, what we learned was if you ordered a highly spec'd out car (like fully loaded Performance), Tesla somehow would make those like months faster than normal plebe builds. So the squirrel magic wasn't real 😿