Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I make it? -23 celsius & 320 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should be fine.

90 for a while, 100 for the rest.

I think it would be doable. for our 85D, I'd charge to full, pre-heat before disconnecting, and do the whole trip in range mode at the 100 or even 90Km/hr. I just started playing with range mode, and it makes a difference in our 85D.

We just recently completed an 850KM trip in the freezing cold -26C (-15F) all on L2 chargers and survived nicely! YouTube

m1ker your video won't play, it says it's private.

Well folks I put together a video on the trip, watch it @ Tesla Model S 85D Cold Weather Road Trip - YouTube - please like & subscribe.

- - - Updated - - -

I just started playing with range mode, and it makes a difference in our 85D.
Yes it does make a slight difference (I did not measure before/after but do have a screen "shot" in the video).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be doable. for our 85D, I'd charge to full, pre-heat before disconnecting, and do the whole trip in range mode at the 100 or even 90Km/hr. I just started playing with range mode, and it makes a difference in our 85D.

We just recently completed an 850KM trip in the freezing cold -26C (-15F) all on L2 chargers and survived nicely! YouTube

Remember to turn Range Mode off during pre-heat. Otherwise it limits heating power, which is counterproductuve.

Also Range mode doesn't do much for a preheated car. Because of the risk of accidentally leaving it on, I don't use it unless the car is a frozen brick and I need to drive a long way.

Is range mode no longer required to enable torque sleep? Or are you saying torque sleep doesn't do much? Or...?

(I do wish it was clearly spelled out just WTF range mode does.)

My car doesn't have torque sleep so I can't confirm whether or not Range Mode has an effect on it. I gather the software release notes for newer cars suggest that it does. If so they've tried a little too hard to "simplify" the user interface, by mixing together functions that have little to nothing to do with each other.

On my car Range Mode simply limits HVAC power.

My car doesn't have torque sleep so I can't confirm whether or not Range Mode has an effect on it.

Actually, it does. The release notes for v7 says they added Torque Sleep from the D cars to RWD models. It works when the car comes to a complete stop and they de-energize the motor completely. Whether or not there is any correlation with Range Mode I don't know.