Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I miss my HUD ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new M3 SR+ arrives early Dec and whilst driving around in my current car - Mercedes C350e phev - I’ve been wondering what I might miss:
- the ‘solid’ German build quality ?
- the ‘reliable’ German engineer ?

No ... don’t think so

But I think I might miss the Head Up Display!

The merc is the first car I’ve had with HUD and I find it one of the best diver aids / safety features I’ve come across and whenever I drive the wife’s car i find it strange looking at the normal dash dials.

Has anyone else gone from car with HUD to Tesla M3 ? Do you miss the HUD ?

I came from an Audi A6. I most certainly miss the sordid German build quality and the comfort and refinement that just isn’t there in the M3P, especially with wind and tyre noise over 50mph.

And I really miss my HUD. There’s nothing so convenient as seeing the important information written, so to speak, on the road in front of you. In fact I’ve fallen out of love with the single display in the M3 (there’s only so much info you can display on one screen, however large) and I’d like a decent binnacle display (Audi Virtual Cockpit?) and a HUD. Apparently, though, Elon doesn’t like HUDs, which means we can’t have one.

I also really miss my matrix headlights, another fantastic driver aid. I might not miss them so much if the bog standard auto headlights on the M3 worked properly but they are, frankly, crap.

Reactions: Type2
My Prius had a HUD, I thought I would really miss it when I traded it for an Ioniq Electric, but I didn’t.
When I traded up to the M3, I found the screen well within my peripheral vision. Don’t miss a HUD at all now

My new M3 SR+ arrives early Dec and whilst driving around in my current car - Mercedes C350e phev - I’ve been wondering what I might miss:

No ... don’t think so

The merc is the first car I’ve had with HUD and I find it one of the best diver aids / safety features I’ve come across and whenever I drive the wife’s car i find it strange looking at the normal dash dials.

I suspect you’ll miss the build quality a lot more than you think.

I suspect you’ll miss the build quality a lot more than you think.

Sadly the build quality on the M3 is really not what it should be for a car in this price range. Worryingly, there are significant build issues even with the latest offering, the MY, so Tesla clearly haven’t learned how to get the basics right.

Apparently M3s built in China are better made than the Fremont cars, and they are going to be exported to Europe. I’m hoping that the Germans teach Tesla how to build cars properly when the Berlin factory opens.

Oh, and I really miss my HUD too. One offset screen just doesn’t crack it for me.

Reactions: Yachtsman
Having driven cars with a HUD for many years, I definitely still miss it. Not sure why Tesla chose not to have a HUD, or display in the driver's eyeline, TBH. I find the offset screen a PITA when it comes to basic stuff, like checking speed. I also miss not having nav directions displayed in my eyeline, ideally on a HUD. I don't like having voice guidance on, but have to in the Model 3, as it's just not really safe to rely on the map display, IMHO.

I had a new 320d with Hud as a courtesy car whilst my bodywork was being repaired. It had a hud and I had the car for 3 weeks. I like it, but I don't miss it. I still felt I was looking at the dash, hud and info screen whilst driving which was a bit distracting. Map on HUD was very useful though. Seats were good with adjustable bolsters but no lumbar support and not electric. The build was above Tesla but tech-wise it felt dated and clunky. I think they have spent a lot of R&D to make it feel electric (8 gears, shifter that feel like a switch, soundproofed engine) but I'm glad to be back to electric, memory seats and keyless entry. It had no lane-keeping either.

No ... don’t think so

I went to a M3 from a Lexus RX450h. I missed a few things for about a week, including the HUD. I've adapted now though, pretty much.

I had a BMW with HUD in parallel for a year with my M3 and the Tesla was always the go-to car because of all the reasons why I bought it - having HUD was never going to compensate for it feeling so mechanical.

Despite others, on other threads, saying they preferred BMW traffic data I didn’t find it that good personally and normally used tomtom on my phone for routing and so only really benefitted from seeing the speed on HUD - and the odd occasion I changed radio stations outside of my presets.

Do others not also find you have a pretty good idea what speed you are doing without having to look?

To add..... maybe I’m the exception but, in West London there are so many average speed cameras, I’ve actually benefitted from the cruise functionality in the Tesla as I can flick it on and forget about speeding thru a zone - without checking my speed.

To add..... maybe I’m the exception but, in West London there are so many average speed cameras, I’ve actually benefitted from the cruise functionality in the Tesla as I can flick it on and forget about speeding thru a zone - without checking my speed.
I'm surprised you can cope with it. I live in west London too and can't use the cruise control in the slightest. It just basically stops all the time. No one has seen phantom braking until they've driven their tesla through a crowded city.

I had one on an Audi A6, and I loved it. To be honest, I think it should be mandatory on new cars as your speed is directly in your eyeline.

However, all the benefits of the Tesla far outweigh the downsides for me.

I'm surprised you can cope with it. I live in west London too and can't use the cruise control in the slightest. It just basically stops all the time. No one has seen phantom braking until they've driven their tesla through a crowded city.

I agree with you in stop-start traffic - it’s very poor at bringing you to a standstill - it’s when the traffic is relatively free flowing and you could average over the limit, if you’re not careful, I was referring too. I use(d) it daily on my commute into central London.

Reactions: Neilio
It's interesting how Tesla make a play of it's safety but leave out some of the more secondary safety features such as decent matrix headlights, a HUD, working autodimming mirrors, working auto wipers. I know none of these are primary safety feature but I#ve had all of them on other cars and they ARE safety features as they all reduce the chance if you getting distracted or improve your ability to concentrate on the road.