Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I notice going from 19” to 18” wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a previous 3 with 19” wheels and planning on getting a 2021.

I was going to get it with the 18” wheels this time as I heard it makes for a much more comfortable ride. However after doing some research, it sounds like it might make for a less engaging ride as well.

Would I really be able to tell that much of a difference between 18” and 19”, or is it something that’s really only noticeable on a track?

(note: i have never been in a model 3 with the 18” wheels)

Had a previous 3 with 19” wheels and planning on getting a 2021.

I was going to get it with the 18” wheels this time as I heard it makes for a much more comfortable ride. However after doing some research, it sounds like it might make for a less engaging ride as well.

Would I really be able to tell that much of a difference between 18” and 19”, or is it something that’s really only noticeable on a track?

(note: i have never been in a model 3 with the 18” wheels)

"Much more comfortable", no. You might notice a very slight difference, but that's about it. The tire model can make more of a difference in ride than a slightly taller or shorter sidewall will. I've been running different size summer and winter tires for 2 decades now on many different vehicles and I can honestly say the difference in ride is very minimal. Even going from the summer 20s to winter 18s on my Model 3 hardly changes the ride stiffness at all.

I'm not sure if the model 3 runs the same tire model on the 18s vs the 19s, but if it does, you likely won't be able to tell a difference at all.

You'll certainly have a lot more protection from pothole damage and better inclement weather performance. Whether you notice the difference in dry pavement handling will depend on your driving style (and the tires you choose).

Thanks for all the insight. This changes how I evaluate my future order.

Now its either order the 18's and see how they go (but if they suck buy 19" and new wheels which can be more expensive than just getting the 19" upfront)

OR

Buy the 19" now and get them powder coated since I dont like the silver look with the blacked out trim.

Reactions: geekflyer
Thanks for all the insight. This changes how I evaluate my future order.

Now its either order the 18's and see how they go (but if they suck buy 19" and new wheels which can be more expensive than just getting the 19" upfront)

OR

Buy the 19" now and get them powder coated since I dont like the silver look with the blacked out trim.
Get the 19" now. I'm powdercoating mine.

Thanks for all the insight. This changes how I evaluate my future order. Now its either order the 18's and see how they go
(but if they suck buy 19" and new wheels which can be more expensive than just getting the 19" upfront) OR
Buy the 19" now and get them powder coated since I don't like the silver look with the blacked out trim.
You might be interested watching this Edmunds video looking at the difference between the standard 18-inch and the optional 19-inch wheels.

Just got back from test driving a Model 3 with the 18" wheels. The car only had 700 miles on it so the tires were basically new.

There is a very noticeable difference between the 18" and the 19".

The 18" definitely feel more floaty and a bit smoother going down the road. Around a curve they do not inspire a whole lot of confidence. You can feel the tires squishing

The 19" feels like its on rails. The ride is a little rougher but thats the trade off for having a sport wheel.

At the end of the day it all depends on what youre looking for, sporty or comfort. I thought about getting the 18" and just going aftermarket for rims/tires, but considering its only $1,500 from Tesla, I dont think its possible to get a better deal 3rd party.

I’m going to say 95% of this is from the actual tires not the 1 inch larger wheels.

The MXM4 stock on the 18s is all about efficiency not handling and braking. While the stock 19s are middle of the road performers for both. They’ll feel a lot better but you’ll lose some range. Put some PS4S of either 18 or 19 you likely can’t tell much of a difference.

As mentioned. It’s the tires that make all the difference more than the wheel size. At least from 18” vs 19”. When you get 20” it will be firmer. But you’re also forced into a narrower range of performance tires. There are some great efficient and quiet tires in 19”, even better selection than 18”.

Get the 19's, but then upgrade the suspension. My rough riding 19's all of a sudden became very smooth riding 19's after I switch out the low quality OEM shocks and spring for Mountain Pass Comfort Coilovers. Now my car rides like my previous Jag. It's not as quiet, or as luxurious on the inside, but at least it handles the bumps and rides as well now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy