Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I notice going from 19” to 18” wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a previous 3 with 19” wheels and planning on getting a 2021.

I was going to get it with the 18” wheels this time as I heard it makes for a much more comfortable ride. However after doing some research, it sounds like it might make for a less engaging ride as well.

Would I really be able to tell that much of a difference between 18” and 19”, or is it something that’s really only noticeable on a track?

(note: i have never been in a model 3 with the 18” wheels)

I had the 19" and went to 18" (aftermarket). Can tell you with 100% certainty that you will enjoy the 18" much more. The ride is much better, the tires are cheaper, you have more sidewall and less worry about potholes damaging your wheels. As for handling, the steering will feel much lighter and that is better in my opinion.

Reactions: Clivew
The 18" definitely feel more floaty and a bit smoother going down the road. Around a curve they do not inspire a whole lot of confidence. You can feel the tires squishing

Most of this feeling will be due to the type of tyre, especially if they are the energy efficient MXM4’s.

On a road car, 18” wheels are preferable to due to a number of factors. They are lighter, meaning less unsprung weight, which allows the suspension to work better at keeping the tyres in contact with the road. They also give better ride quality, and there is less chance of tyre/wheel damage due to pot holes etc.

The sidewalls have more flex due to the higher profile which gives feedback through the steering wheel about the amount of grip available. A tyre which allows more twist in the sidewall allows a driver to ‘find’ the optimum slip angle easier, and thus extract more grip from the tyre. This is also why racing cars for ‘gentlemen’ drivers have higher profile tyres. They allow the driver to find maximum cornering grip easier, and to lap faster.

The argument that low profile tyres give more grip may be true for the 1% of ultra skilled drivers who can find the perfect slip angle, but for the 99%, a higher profile tyre (of the same type) will be faster.